Any reviews from LDS CNC (Little Drop Shop) Plasma Tables

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
TreeMuncher
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Any reviews from LDS CNC (Little Drop Shop) Plasma Tables

Post by TreeMuncher »

I am looking for any reviews from owners of LDS CNC plasma tables. It is a small shop that has been building units for the past couple of years. Turnkey units offered and I am interested. I'm looking at the Everlast 102i for a plasma source as it will handle more than my Hypermax 1000 will. I need at least 3/4" cuts at times and more. They are within driving distance for me to pick up.

Sheetcam and Mach3 software included on Win 10 system computer
nema 23 steppers, g540 drive, removable water tray with drain, limit switches, motorized z axis, mini computer running windows 10, uc100 smooth stepper, hardened rack & pinion system, welded table construction, etc.
ATHC option

I doubt that I will use a table much more than 5-20 times a year depending on my repairs and ideas. I can get this system for about $10k. That is about top of my budget but this also includes a new plasma source that I had not planned on. I do NOT like the idea of using OEM specialized software nor being forced into Autodesk products that are overpriced.

Suggestions? Hopefully someone that has purchased a unit and has some feedback.
nick7251
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Any reviews from LDS CNC (Little Drop Shop) Plasma Tables

Post by nick7251 »

Sorry, I've not heard of this company before, but my wright cnc table has some similar build features that I think could be better. Specifically when it comes to the gantry and the bearing trollies. But I will say up front that by building this way it keeps the cost down. But also the quality in my opinion.
1. It uses bearing rollers instead of linear rails. This works but isn't as smooth and can be finicky to keep adjusted at times. My table has had the bearings cant on an angle and start rolling on the edge which in turn cut into the powder coat and made a rough spot. It was a major bummer.
2. The gantry seems really long and as a result heavy. Especially if they are using nema 23 steppers like you say. The picture on their Facebook page leads me to believe they are nema 34s though, but I could be wrong. If they are small it can be terrible for good acceleration. This may not matter if you ONLY plan on cutting thick stuff. Just do your due diligence with their motor selection for such a big heavy gantry.
3. Definitely budget for the THC option. You won't regret it and it makes your cuts come out so much better. Chances of your table or material being perfectly flat are nil. The THC takes care of that.

Anyways hope this help a little. It is nice they are so close to you for ongoing support too.
TreeMuncher
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by TreeMuncher »

Thanks for your informative feedback. I noticed the long gantry and I am skeptical of that design and not much specification information available to make an informed decision.

I'm still trying to learn all I can about the differences and what I should look for before committing to a purchase. I don't have the time to build up a kit as I will be further ahead to work and pay for a complete unit so kit versions are out. So many different designs to choose from and so many manufacturers makes it all confusing and time consuming to get educated.
nick7251
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by nick7251 »

I hear you. I was baptized by fire, and still learning. I wanted to build my own table, but then a used but almost new one came up for sale in my area for super cheap. It was only a couple of months old too. I am so grateful it was cheap because while it serves my purposes well I've had to upgrade the controller, thc, and other things as I've learned what matters, and there are still shortcomings that I plan to change in the future (linear rails instead of roller bearing trollies for one). But I'm still into it less than I would have been if I built my own and then learned those lessons. You are smarter than me and you are doing your homework up front.
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

in my opinion you would be better off buying a used, proven quality table rather than a new, questionable table. Check the classifieds for an ArcLight, LDR, JD2, Starlab, etc used.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”