fair price for torchmate 3 5x10 6yr old

Torchmate Hardware discussion forum
gary42095
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

fair price for torchmate 3 5x10 6yr old

Post by gary42095 »

i have been reading all i can on this site and others about cnc setups and all the different brands of tables. i know nothing about cnc tables really but want to learn. i have a powermax 85 and an older max43. there is a used tm 3 for sale fairly local to me(couple hr drive) with a thermal dynamics cutmaster 81 computer and software. unit was new in 2006 from the pictures it looks like they just have an exhaust fan with a tent over the whole thing. i could make a water table i am guessing? it is still operational now but they are getting out apparently. because i know nothing about cnc tables, what would i ask/ look for and or be concerned about. asking price is 11,000
comments?
jjellingson
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: fair price for torchmate 3 5x10 6yr old

Post by jjellingson »

How much use has the machine had? How does the appearance and maintenance look on the machine. Take a look around the shop its in and you can get a general idea of how things are kept. Plan on buying a sheet of 20 guage or similar to take with you to have the machine demonstrated. A finished cut piece will tell a lot more than just watching the gantry move through several files. While the machine is not "cutting" a file but running a file, watch for any shaking of the torch. Assuming it is a machine torch. Easier to spot at the top of torch lead, as this will be a good indicator of a machine that is loose some where. There will be some just don't want to much. Look the drive gears and all bearings over for problems . Sloppy or loose in not good. Squareness on the gantry, its pretty much a given that the long axis (y) is running true, pay close attention to the x (short) axis, this will be easy to check on a sheet if you bring one for cutting. Double check the homing switches work and realign the gantry. Ask them how they handle a out of square gantry. Does it have a torch break away system? You will need one. If they have been cutting for the past several years they should be able to whip out some very intricate pieces. Make sure the machine is operational before you make the drive, for that price you need to see it running and cutting. What extras will they throw in , cutting files? plasma cutter consumables, what not? I Think you would be happier with your PM85 I am not knocking TD cutters, they are good machines, its just the 85 will cut thicker. If you have been hand cutting much with the 85, wait till you see it work on a table. You will wonder why you have waited so long. Good luck, happy shopping. Hopefully some Torchmate owners will chime in and help out also.
MadMonk
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: fair price for torchmate 3 5x10 6yr old

Post by MadMonk »

Talk to TM. They have changed several things since then.

I would not pay more than half what a new one cost.

Return to “Torchmate Forum”