THC Questions Torchmate 2x4

Torchmate Hardware discussion forum
C_R_DeJong
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

THC Questions Torchmate 2x4

Post by C_R_DeJong »

Hey guys,

I have a torchmate 2X4 table and run a TD cutmaster 39 on it (hand torch set up). I am having difficulties with keeping the torch at optimal distance for cutting without grabing the steel when the gantry moves. My question is, is there a digital torch heirght controller that is effective and inexpensive that I could install on the machine that would lift the torch head between cuts? If so, what one would you recommend?
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Torch Height Control Questions

Post by jimcolt »

The Torchmate AVHC height control is about $2500.....it does more than lift the torch between cuts.

At the start of every cut cycle it indexes toward the plate, contacts the plate..then retracts to the plasma manufacturers recommended pierce height.....then fires the torch.....stays in place for the recommended pierce delay time (allows for succesful pierce before any movement occurs)....then indexes down to the manufacturers suggeste cut height...x and y cut path movement then starts. Moments after the cut path movement starts...the height control starts monitoring plasma torch arc voltage....which is compared to an operator preset voltage....and the height control maintains the height accurately through the cut...regardless of any plate warpage. At the end of the cut the torch retracts so the system can move to the next cut without collisions with tipped up parts.

The height control seems expensive....but it will improve cut quality and dramatically improve plasma torch consumable life. It also allows your machine to cut many consecutive parts without requiring a constant watch.

Here is a picture of mine on my 2 x 4 Torchmate with a Hypertherm Powermax45 machine torch. You can mount a hand torch on it as well.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
IMG_2079.JPG
IMG_2075.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

C_R_DeJong
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by C_R_DeJong »

Thanks Jim for the pictures.

I was talking the the folks from torchmate regarding their height control. However, I have seen height controls out there that are much cheaper. I have the table merely for hobby so I am trying to minimize the cost of obtaining one as much as possible. However, I would agree that the torchmate's height control does have its long term advantages.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The Torchmate machine requires the use of a stand alone type height control...meaning it operates completely independant of the x and y axis motion control software. There are no cheaper height controls with this capability...in fact most are closer to $5k....and industrial units go up to $15k.

The lower cost height controls I have seen are Mach 3 based....meaning they operate as another axis (Z) through the motion control software (Mach3)....these of course, only work on machines that use this software.

There have been a few ads for Chinese import height controls for plasma...usually in the $1500 range...and they do not include the z axis torch slide.....you have to build that yourself. I have heard of pretty serious reliability issues with these as well as a complete lack of factory support.

Arc voltage feedback height controls are not as simple as many people seem to think....and to make them work reliably takes some research and some engineering. I'd love to see a $1000 full featured, standalone THC that would work on any Plasma machine...many have tried to design and build them....but there are none available.

Personally, and I have two cnc machines in my home shop....I would not have a cnc plasma without a THC system. It is completely worth the price in terms of cut quality and consumable life. A CNC machine ...by definition...is a machine that does some precision cutting, controlled by a computer. If you have to babysit each cut....then is really a cnc machine?

Jim Colt

Return to “Torchmate Forum”