Torchmate 4.0.45 cutting sequence determination?

Torchmate Hardware discussion forum
Cruzer75
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Torchmate 4.0.45 cutting sequence determination?

Post by Cruzer75 »

Good afternoon everyone.

What determines the cutting sequence when you import a DXF into torchmate 4.0.45? The issue is I am cutting out signs and the system is cutting out the outside first then the inside. So far I manged to make sure it has worked. It would be better to have it cut the inside first then the outside. It did this on the first few signs I made then it switched.
Originally when it was cutting the outside last it did not have the 'optimize cutting path checked'. I checked it to see if it would change it but it did not.

Any help would be great.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Torchmate 4.0.45 cutting sequence determination?

Post by adbuch »

Perhaps Ben will chime in here.
David
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

I have no experience with Torchmate software however in my experience with others I have found the the cutting sequence is determined by the order in which the profiles were drawn. So if you are cutting a donut and you drew the outer diameter before the inner it would cut the outer first and then the inner. What software are you using to draw your designs and save as DXF?
Cruzer75
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Cruzer75 »

I used a combination of inkscape and Autocad. Then a final edit to size using the torchmate cad. Its kind of cumbersome but each one seems to do something I like.

I will be diligent about my design and then cutting sequence and see if it makes a difference.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

If you are curious give it a try with a simple donut drawn both ways and see if makes a difference with Inkscape or Autocad. Curious of your findings with those programs.
ben de lappe

Post by ben de lappe »

Sorry I'm late,

My expertise lies in drawing with TM CAD, instructing others in machine set up/tool path application not so much but I believe the answer to your question is in the Machine Tab. Once your part is drawn select Machine, then from the drop down menu click Create Tool Path, from that menu click Male. Another dialog box will pop up with Basic Cut and Lead-in/lead-out buttons for the setting of these parameters. Clicking Basic Cut allows one to select direction be it conventional or climbing. Climbing is where TM gets it's instruction on cutting the interior first in counter clockwise direction and cutting the outer profile last in clockwise direction. The Lead-in/Lead-out tab is of course for those settings.

Hope this helps,
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

ben de lappe wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:27 pm Sorry I'm late,

My expertise lies in drawing with TM CAD, instructing others in machine set up/tool path application not so much but I believe the answer to your question is in the Machine Tab. Once your part is drawn select Machine, then from the drop down menu click Create Tool Path, from that menu click Male. Another dialog box will pop up with Basic Cut and Lead-in/lead-out buttons for the setting of these parameters. Clicking Basic Cut allows one to select direction be it conventional or climbing. Climbing is where TM gets it's instruction on cutting the interior first in counter clockwise direction and cutting the outer profile last in clockwise direction. The Lead-in/Lead-out tab is of course for those settings.

Hope this helps,
:Like :Like :Like
Cruzer75
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Cruzer75 »

ben de lappe wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:27 pm Sorry I'm late,....Hope this helps,
Ben- No issue you are not late-

Thanks for the pointers on TM software. I have the TM CAD but it is from 2011 so pretty old. I haven't played with it much really only used it to make sure the size of parts was correct- Inkscape has about 4 places to change the dimensions from mm to inch and have not looked for the global setting so everything I have saved as dxf comes out 25x the size...anyway i should come up with a better way but was having fun messing around. it is just a hobby for me.

I will check out the parameters you suggested as I have not done much other than just cut a few signs and parts out. I have a few more things to cut over the next couple of days so will see how they work out etc. Maybe try a few different ways and let everyone now how it works.

Stewart
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Stewart - the TM Cad software appears to be a very powerful tool for creating and editing files. I'm not sure which version Ben is using, but he is doing outstanding work with the TM software. You can see more of Ben's work below.

https://www.facebook.com/designs.by.delap

If I didn't already have Design Edge, I would give serious consideration to spending the $1000 to purchase a copy of the TM Cad software. It has several drawing tools for node editing that appear to be much more powerful than those contained in either Inkscape or Design Edge.

David
ben de lappe

Post by ben de lappe »

Most welcome Stewart, glad to help.

My TM CAD software is v7.1 and it came with my table upon purchase around '06-'07 so I'm familiar with old. (in more than one way :-? ) . I'm not sure when v9 came out but you can find what version you have by clicking Help, then About Torchmate. Most likely the v4 you mention in the thread title is the version of driver software for your table. That's also what I have though I upgraded it freely years after purchase.

Another tip. If you draw with Inkscpe and intend to import into TM CAD do not save as any form of .dxf. Save it as an .eps instead and everything will transfer over 1:1.

Last but not least if you have an issue and need to get it in front of more eyes this group on facebook has active members/admin. who's knowledge FAR exceeds mine. https://www.facebook.com/groups/128042524552012 If you don't do the facebook thing I completely understand. The only reason I'm there is my designs page.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

ben de lappe wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:44 pm
Another tip. If you draw with Inkscpe and intend to import into TM CAD do not save as any form of .dxf.
Save it as an .eps
instead and everything will transfer over 1:1.

Great tip Ben! That could save many possible headaches for the TM Cad/Inkscape users out there.

David
ben de lappe

Post by ben de lappe »

David- Thanks for the heads up an the shout out as well.

Very powerful software indeed. It broke me down to nothing and built me up to it's standards in much the same way as the USAF! :HaHa I could never get what I wanted in a drawing and more practice than I'll willingly admit led to me hand tracing everything. My methods are not fast, just the ONLY way I could produce what I called a quality drawing.

The drawing tools we've briefly discussed are absolutely wonderful however there is one more aspect to the TM CAD module that I could not do without. The Text/Compose module that comes loaded with a lot of fonts, the ability to arc lettering, kerning etc. The last time I had a client inquire about drawing software several years ago he informed me his quoted price was $3,000+ for the package.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Ben - I was going from this. They don't go into any detail about which version or the full capabilities, but I had assumed it was the complete drawing package.
David

https://www.torchmatestore.com/Torchmat ... _2956.html
TM Cad.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

ben de lappe

Post by ben de lappe »

Completely understood. Such is the way of things today. It literally pays for one to do their research.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

But I don't know what all is included for the 1000 bucks. That does seem awful cheap for such a powerful cad program. Perhaps I will reach out the them to find out the details.

David

https://torchmate.com/software
torchmate cad 1.jpg
torchmate cad 2.jpg
torchmate cad 3.jpg

ben de lappe

Post by ben de lappe »

adbuch wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:43 pm Perhaps I will reach out the them to find out the details.
:Like That would be best for accurate information. All I know is that the bobcad clip art and text compose module are add-ons.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I talked to the Lincoln Torchmate rep today. Torchmate CAD 9 price is $274 plus shipping/tax. So $311.25 out the door.
The cost to add the Wizard for auto trace, Nesting package, and Shapes library is about $525.26. This is for an upgrade to an existing TM CAD 9 license.
Cost to add the Pro Text package (which includes fit text to curved path tool) is $626.32. So about $1500 for the complete package.

The Torchmate CAD 9 is a download, but requires the usb hardware lock to function. The $311.25 for the initial purchase of the Torchmate CAD 9 includes the shipping cost for the hardware lock. Additional hardware locks (extra seats) are $167 each - if I am reading my scribbled notes correctly.

A free trial is available by downloading the CAD 9 EDU Student Software linked to below.

https://torchmate.com/cad-cam-downloads

This EDU download contains the complete suite of add-ons (Autotrace wizard, Nesting, Shapes Library, and Pro Text module). The only limitation is that files can only be saved in .EDU format (not dxf, svg, etc.).

But an excellent way to sample the Torchmate CAD software.

David
TM cad 1.jpg

ben de lappe

Post by ben de lappe »

adbuch wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:32 am .
So about $1500 for the complete package.

But an excellent way to sample the Torchmate CAD software.

David

TM cad 1.jpg
:Like :Like

Return to “Torchmate Forum”