Personal experience with Torchmate

Torchmate Hardware discussion forum
juligle
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Personal experience with Torchmate

Post by juligle »

I own a Torchmate III for almost 4 years, I use it daily and works like the first day, no problems al all.
I live in Venezuela, South America, in the City of Valencia.
Any question or advice at order.

juligle
pdjcutandfab
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: TORCHMATE CNC Plasma Cutting Tables

Post by pdjcutandfab »

I have owned a TM3 system for about 3 months now, i love it, the tech support guys are great. the only issue i've had is with all of the manuals that came with the system, there didn't seem to be a good starting point for once the machine was setup, maybe it was just me but i seemed to bounce around from one manual to another (I hated calling tech support with what seemed like simply questions but they didn't seem to mind).
shtrobe
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by shtrobe »

I work for a company that has a Torchmate 3 for about the last 6 months. I agree that the tech support guys are great. I came over to the plasma cutting business from the turning side of the trade. After I got the hang of the basics it was really easy to keep piling up the knowledge. I find little tricks pretty much everyday. The torchmate cad program isn't terribly intuitive but it is pretty powerful.
plasmafab
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by plasmafab »

I purchased a TM 1 almost 2 years ago, but due to my work schedule at the time I didn't get it all together and up and running for almost a year, (taking my time you know :-). Well it is running now and I am very happy with it. I don't have any experience on any other type of machines so I really can't say how it might stack up against one of the other top makes but it sure can do about anything that I can think to throw at it. The CAD software that comes with it seems to be really powerfull although it has taken some time for me to get comfortable using all the features it has built in. I still find myself calling Tech support from time to time with questions about things in the CAD program and they are always able to answer and or figure out my problem at the time. Torchmates Tech Support is just excellent in my opinion, and the last words out of any of their mouths is always ( Don't hesitate to call us with any of your questions, anytime.) so 2 thumbs up for Tech Support.
Over the past yr I did do a lot of online research into the small shop CNC plasma machines out there, and I did end up doing some retrofitting of the Y axis (cross table) gantry to make the TM 1 a better more ridged machine for me. I replaced the 3/4"x 2" cold rolled flat bar that makes up the original gantry with a pc of 3" 80/20 extruded aluminium square tube and installed precision linear rail and trucks on the gantry to make the machine a really precision and competent table now. The original Flat bar gantry worked, but there was something to be desired in the adjustments of the cam followers that made up the gantry carrage, and the amount of flex in the flat bar when the torch carrage moved around while cutting. So with some research,a few hundred dollars and some time in retrofitting it I am happy with it now.
I went with TM because I liked the ways in which they let you get started in CNC plasma cutting. If you are a fabricator and will spent the time needed to build the actual machine, they can supply you with a pretty neat starter package at what I consider to be an affordable price for everything that you get. Just know that it does take a while to get proficient with the machine and all that you will need to learn about the whole process from the plasma machine,( what tip size,amperage setting,air pressure,etc for different thickness of material,) to actually drawing something in the CAD program, sizing it, adding cutting paths, exporting it, and then cutting it. It has taken me some time to feel comfortable doing all of this but with TM's help I'm getting there and learning a lot along the way.
I did make my table a 6' wide by 12' long water pan type table so that I would have room to grow in the future, hopefully as business grows.
I have included a couple pictures of the table so you can see the difference in the original gantry and the rebuilt one.
I purchased a new Thermal Dynamics A-120 (their automated version) of their standard cutmaster 152 machine and am really happy with it. It does everything that I want it to do.
Hope this will help answer a few questions that anyone interested in a TM 1 might have.
ddsteelcompany
1 Star Elite Contributing Member
1 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ddsteelcompany »

I have a Torchmate II, never have had any real issues with the plasma. Does anybody ever convert there table into a CNC router table? I bought the router and everything to do so but have not used it yet. Just looking for some input.

Thanks.
501SCS53
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by 501SCS53 »

does anyone have torch height control on there torchmate table i have a torchmate 2 with a cutmaster 52 torch i need info about the torch height control pm me if you can help thanks dave
parrotlady
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Torchmate 2x2?

Post by parrotlady »

Has anyone heard any feedback on Torchmate's new 2 x 2 table? It looks like a pretty cool little unit. Just curious if anyone has bought it..

Thanks

April
RJ Fab
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by RJ Fab »

I bought a 2x2 and got it about 1.5 months ago. CNC is new to me so it has been a bit of a learning curve getting it set up and running. I've been cutting with it for a couple of weeks now and I must say I'm impressed. Their tech. support has been great. I've been busy with several other projects and havn't had much time to really play with the system but have cut out several things for my kids and also used it to make some brakets on the projects I'm working on. If your looking for a good priced machine for smaller projects this would be great. Only downfall is I'm thinking I might outgrow the 2x2 fairly quickly....if you can swing it save up for at least the 4x4. Good luck!
parrotlady
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by parrotlady »

Thanks so much for your reply.. I know, I have been thinking about the size and wondering how long it will last me. I found a good deal on a used 5x10' table (torchmate), so I have put an offer in on that one.

Thanks for your feedback

April
bignoles
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by bignoles »

We have a TM3 5' x 10' here. Have a Hypertherm 1650 w/machine torch dedicated to it. So far it has handled everything we have thrown at it. I guess I had an advantage, already being familiar with AutoCAD, so I can make my drawings there, import directly into the TMCad software, make toolpath, export to cut. I do all the drawings in my office to carry out to the TM computer.
I find things on the Torchmate cad program that are very helpful and some things that are a royal pain in the rear. If you are familiar with Auto and use snaps, then forget it...TM does not use them, no idea why since just about every other CAD program I've used does in some way or another.
The table and gantry are very well made. The 80/20 frame is MUCH stronger than I expected, which is great, handles a 5' x 10' x 1/2" sheet without a problem.
We have some issues that have to be watched...y-axis gear set screw will loosen up after 1-2 hours use causing slop and straight sided circles. Laser crosshair is dead on at top of z travel but nowhere else in it's range of motion, no matter how square to the plate we get the torch and body. There are no physical or electronic stops at the end of travel so you have to watch so you don't run off the x-axis.
Don't get me wrong I love this machine and it has paid for itself in approx. 6 months of use, but I could see some improvements.
vega_winnfield
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Personal experience with Torchmate

Post by vega_winnfield »

I have a TM 3 and a herpertherm 1650. can cut a 5x10 sheet. I had to fab some angle leg supports toaid in table movement issues. never had a problem holding a 4x8 3/4 plate. overall good experience. if any problems tech support is very helpful.

Return to “Torchmate Forum”