Gantry loosing refrence

Torchmate Hardware discussion forum
STEEL3470
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Gantry loosing refrence

Post by STEEL3470 »

ok so i can only cut 20" square total on my machine. i have a 2x4 growth. anytime i try cutting bigger piece i loose reference and bad parts. i have had this machine since April of this year. i have the whole gantry replaced once and no luck.

i have talked to torchmate support wit no luck. they have the worse attitudes on the planet.

1-they have told me to loosen the roller bearings on the gantry and that should fix the problem----nope
2-to re square the machine---nope i have done this over a dozen times.
3- check belts for highness-- one was very loos that the belt could have come off tightened the belt and still no luck.
4-tighten all Allen screws on motors -- still no luck.
5-they haven even said to tape a pen to the head and run the machine that way to find out if its loosing reference. yes it is thats why i am calling.

i don't understand why this is happening.

i really don't know where to go from here. very frustrated customer of torchmate...... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Gantry loosing refrence

Post by Gamelord »

Hate to say it, but it is probably a lose gear. I know you said you checked everything but you really need to check it all again.

Sometimes the Allen screws seem to be tight, but they aren't. What is happening is that the shaft is slipping inside the gear. This is a little troublesome because you said you replaced the entire gantry.....problem should have been changed there.

Only other thing I can think of is to check the wiring going from the gantry to your computer. Perhaps there is a kinked cable or shorted cable and once the gantry moves past a certain point, it effects it.

I chased this same problem for a few days before finally finding a lose shaft - to - gear that was slipping. It only did it under high acceleration, when cutting slow it worked fine. I double checked everything and on the third time of actually pulling everything apart, I finally found it. Even the slightest bit of slippage will screw up your calibration over larger areas.

Hope this helps.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD

Return to “Torchmate Forum”