Gantry "slipping" on X gantry

Torchmate Hardware discussion forum
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Gantry "slipping" on X gantry

Post by gamble »

was cutting a simple file and heard a odd noise. The gantry will go side to side, but say I go left it will go normal speed, then when I go right it will slip and not move or move really slow then start moving right away.
Anyone know what to look for? Never had an issue, machine is less than 1 year old and maybe 40 hours of cut time MAX.

I took the torch holder off and the cassette looks fine but I don't want to touch anything without knowing what I'm doing or looking for. Posted on the pirate4x4 no respnose yet, Called torchmate at least 20 times today and left a message to have them call me back..that was 7 hours ago. Emailed them and everytime I call it says 1 caller ahead 4 minute wait...15 minutes go by nothing. Call back and hour later 1 person ahead of me 4 minute wait time....wait 15-20 minutes...still waiting. Called back, wait time is 11 minutes....20 minutes of waiting...no body picks up.

Also anyone know what size the allen screws on the motor? Seems I have every size except that one lol
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Gantry "slipping" on X gantry

Post by jimcolt »

Disconnect the stepper motor and push the carriage both directions slowly by hand.....any difference in force required? Could be a tight spot that is affected by any of the moving parts. Stepper motors will slow down and lose position if the force required is higher than they can handle.

As far as Torchmate not answering....it is a holiday. Many companies are closed both Thursday (Thanksgiving) and Friday. Some offer tech support coverage....but usually the staff will be very light so it could be a while for response.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Just picked up a set of standard and metic allen wrenches on the way home. I'll pull it apart tomorrow and let you know what I find. Thanks Jim.
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

lol nope. What oddball size is this ? None in either pack I bought fit.
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

Maybe it's not a hex. There are lots of oddball fasteners out there, perhaps its one of those (since I can't think of any names off the top of my head!) :D

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

The bolts are 9/64 hex. Oddball size.
So I removed the bolts and I have no idea on how the motor comes out. So I left it and spun the motor. It spins very freely in both directions but you can see the slipping of the gantry. So my guess is a bearing?
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Are you using gear drive transmissions or belts and gears? If using belts, check to see if your shaft going to the drive gear is bent. If so, it can bind up. Also, remove the belt and check for play in the brass bushing. These will wear over time an can cause binding. Next, check that your gantry moves freely in the direction that is binding up. If it moves with very little pressure without the motor connected, then something in the motor or in the gears is binding. Check your track for debris. Blow off all plasma dust from EVERYTHING.

Another issue may be the shaft spinning inside of the gear. Upon visual inspection, it may appear totally tight but if you remove the belts and hold the shaft, the gear may be spinning.

Last, if you have dual drives (one motor on the left side and the right side) make sure that they are both lined up properly on the same gear teeth and one is not forward or back from the other. Also check that the gears are properly meshed into the tracks. If not then it may move fine in one direction (climbing) but will bind in the other (pushing away). If the binding seems to happen in the same spot, check the mounting of the track. It may have been bumped and knocked out of alignment causing the motor to bind when it gets there.

Just a couple basic mechanical things to check. Hope it helps.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Great thanks.
Here is what I found tonight:

Took off the 2 allen keys on the front behind the torch mount.
Then took off the cover on the back. Does this look normal to you?
Here is a little video
Is there supposed to be a nut on that plastic threaded piece?
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

I would definitely contact Torchmate with a link to your video on this. It doesn't look quite right but it is different than my set up so it is hard to tell.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate CAD
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

The plastic backlash nut is broke they said. Then stated it was $22.50 plus shipping.....then I asked if i was under warranty and they said yes we will cover it. Felt kind of shady like they wanted me to pay for it, even though I had a warranty for another 3 days.
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Three days...that's cutting it kinda close. LOL

Always good to remind manufacturers about warranties. Still, pretty inexpensive fix and happy that they are going to send you the parts no charge.

Torchmate CAD
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Fixed it. Here are my complaints

the screw looks like someone chewed on it.
the shaft coller allen key was stripped from the factory.

I posted and they offered to sell me new parts. :roll:
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
STEEL3470
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by STEEL3470 »

gamble i am haveing the same issues

i have a 2x4 table.

it is very random when it happens but happens and it is very aggravating. i have checked all motors and screws and i also have taken the machine apart twice and back together from scratch and no luck. it has just happened three times on me now.

any other ideas on the fix??
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Yep the backlash screw was bad.
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor

Return to “Torchmate Forum”