Need Help!!!!

Torchmate Hardware discussion forum
Piper
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Need Help!!!!

Post by Piper »

We have a torchmate 3 tableand are using 16 ga material but still getting a lot of slag. Our settings are 127 set voltage for auto height control, 45 amps, and feed rate of 75. I would like to know some suggestion on what setting to use to get less slag so it is less grinding. Thanks
m79b01
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Need Help!!!!

Post by m79b01 »

I only assume hyperther? Your feedrate seems way too low. Check the manual. I think you are going to need to move that up to at least 200ipm. Maybe even more if your machine will support it.
Precision Plama LLC SDB 5x10
CandCNC
Hypertherm 65
Mach3
SheetCAM
the GIMP
inkscape
QCAD
https://www.facebook.com/burtonskustom
Piper
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Piper »

Yes it is a hypertherm powermax 85. But when we did the line speed test it is showing that 75 ipm. If I turn the feed rate up then it does not cut through.
modelaratrod
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by modelaratrod »

Are you using fine cut 45 amp consumables? I just cut a bunch of 14g @ 110 ipm 45 amp 78 volts on AVHC with fine cut 45 amp consumables and there's only dross on the tight corners. I tried to cut with the low speed cut charts and it was OK but after doing the cut speed test and line voltage test that's what cut the cleanest. I believe the AVHC is not supposed to run faster than 150 ipm.
5x10 Torchmate 2 w/AVHC
Hypertherm PM85 w/ machine & hand torch.
m79b01
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by m79b01 »

Looked it up book spec is 350ipm. If you are cutting at 75ipm something is wrong. Start checking things from the begining, i.e. air, ground, power, proper consumables, etc.
CandCNC
Hypertherm 65
Mach3
SheetCAM
the GIMP
inkscape
QCAD
Piper
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Piper »

I have went through everything as far as air ground clamps. I am using 45 amp fine tip consumables. I will try around that speed and volts. I will give you the results in a few minutes. thanks for all the info.
Piper
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Piper »

SO I tried the 110iom and 78 volts not even close knock my machine off and everything. When I run the 75 ipm and 137 set volts there is not lost of dross but just want a little cleaner. I have talked to torchmate about this and everything they have me try still does not work.
m79b01
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by m79b01 »

If you are using fine tip your voltage is way to high. What is your torch height when you cut with that voltage?
CandCNC
Hypertherm 65
Mach3
SheetCAM
the GIMP
inkscape
QCAD
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Attached is the cut chart from the Powermax85 operators manual. This is the "low speed" FineCut chart that is designed to keep the speed below 150 ipm for machines that are unstable above that speed.

As you can see the specs are: 40 amps (FineCut consumables) .06" cut height, .09" pierce height, approx 73 arc volts. Adjust the arc volts on a test cut until the cut height is .06" (1/16").

Cutting too slow and with too high of arc voltage is the cause of dross. Get the torch at the right height and go faster to minimize dross. 150 ipm is actually slow, there will be less dross at faster speeds.....adjust the voltage until the cut height is correct. Make sure the nozzle orifice is perfectly round (there is a section in your manual that tells how to inspect).

Jim Colt Hypertherm
finecut low speed.png

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Last edited by jimcolt on Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

duplicate post
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

For 16ga on my torchmate, I run over 300ipm, 40a on my cutmaster 101. Comes out very nice with minimal dross. It's amazing that it can cut that fast through metal. It's nearly as fast as my vinyl cutter...maybe faster LOL.

Your table should be able to cut at those speeds, if not then there are some settings that are not correct.

Hope this helps.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
modelaratrod
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by modelaratrod »

Game are you running the TM AVHC? When I spoke to support on Monday they said that the AVHC wouldn't work correctly above 150 ipm in Auto mode.
5x10 Torchmate 2 w/AVHC
Hypertherm PM85 w/ machine & hand torch.
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Yes, running torchmate AVHC and I have never had a problem running it at higher speeds...at least I always thought it was working right. LOL. Not sure if the system you have is different than mine, but can't see why it would be.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD

Return to “Torchmate Forum”