Torchmate Growth series question on software

Torchmate Hardware discussion forum
Wiskebound
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Torchmate Growth series question on software

Post by Wiskebound »

Hi, i have been searching for a used plasma and finally come across a Torchmate 4X4 growth series that is being sold with no software, computer, etc.. My questions is if purchased, and you purchase software from Lincoln or possibly purchase alternate programs/software elsewhere that would run this machine? I don't have much knowledge on the programming side so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Torchmate Growth series question on software

Post by weldguy »

Check out Flashcut CNC, and C&CNC, they offer full electronic packages for Torchmate systems.
speediburns
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by speediburns »

The software to run the machine is free from Torchmate and any PC with a USB port will work. Depending on the model of controller will dictate which SW version you need to download. I have only worked with the 401, or is it 501 and accumove controllers, but if it is the former you will need to load Windows 7. I bought a used TM about a year ago and I have to say that TM Tech Support has been incredibly helpful. Every question/email I send them I get a response within minutes, not hours or days. And the responses have been complete, and above what I ask. Example, when I was first setting up I asked which version of SW. Instead of just answering, they sent me a link to the SW. And a link to the quick start guide, link to the manual, and 2 more links just in case. I was impressed. I read that others have not had the best experience, but the person they have there now is really really good.

You will need a program to create parts and convert the part to G code if you do not already have those. There are a few free CAD programs though I dont have a lot of experience which ones are good. You really only need a 2D program for plasma cutters. And if you are doing artsy stuff, you dont even need CAD, you can use a drawing program like Inkscape which is also free. Then you need a CAM program to create G-Code. I have started using Sheetcam which is $150 for a full license and it works pretty good. Good enough I would say.

TM sells a CAD program that costs about $1200 which also creates the G-Code so if you want simple you can go that route but it wouldnt be my suggestion.

I hear that Flashcut is a great upgrade, but it is also pricey and you should be able to get the machine running for almost no additional money. Upgrade later is my suggestion.
speediburns
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by speediburns »

I would also say that if you cant see the table work, you better be getting it at a great price. I am assuming it is a blue screen AVHC and those are pricey to repair/replace. Same for the controller. Both are proprietary and if they dont work your only option is to upgrade to the flashcut or CandCNC or whatever. both options are thousands.
Wiskebound
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Wiskebound »

Thank you all for the help and info so far. As for the machine, its an auction item I am watching right now so I don't know what the final value will be. If any of you have had experience converting a table, what would the limits be as for cost to purchase one used needing a full upgrade (assuming worst case)? (by the photos it looks to be in decent shape, ). Some of my thoughts were that if i would go the route of building my own table, I would need to purchase everything for it to operate, this would at least give me a head start on the base and frame? (if the price is right). I believe it is a blue screen AVHC (if you are referring to the small black box with the blue screen display) again, I'm a little ignorant at his time with all the terminology and such.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

It sounds like you are on the right track. If possible, find out if the table comes with a computer/pc with the control software already loaded. If the table can't be tested before purchase, then there is always the possibility that it may require some repair- motors, controller, gears/pulleys/belts, etc. The more you can find out about it before bidding, the better.
David
speediburns
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by speediburns »

Well, did you buy it?

Return to “Torchmate Forum”