Cutting Corrugated Metal

Torchmate Hardware discussion forum
lrunyon
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Cutting Corrugated Metal

Post by lrunyon »

We are wanting to try some projects using corrugated metal. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what our settings should be for torch height, thickness, etc.? Or any other helpful tips.

Thanks!
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Cutting Corrugated Metal

Post by plasmanewbie »

In my experience this is what I have done:

-reduced amps and cut speed from what the manufacturer suggests to allow more time for THC to react (better THC's may not need this)

-use a non shielded standard nozzle, not finecut since the tip is narrower and will allow you to stay closer the material on the slopes

-depending on the slope you may need your THC higher than you would on flat plate to prevent the tip from colliding with the material on slopes

Hope this helps :D
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Cutting Corrugated Metal

Post by tcaudle »

Simple math: You need a THC that will move your Z in IPM as fast as tfat as the combined vector speeds of the XY motion. If you Z i limited to 30 IPM max then so wil be your max XY speeds and on thin metal you will get a lot of dross, voltage will confuse the THC.

If you want to cut complex shapes and multiple cuts you need a reliable method of touch off so the torch will pierce and cut at any elevation. Torches thatt use sample and hold only for the THC voltage will not work very well because they have no time to collect a sample on flat material.

Return to “Torchmate Forum”