DHC

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
justinside
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

DHC

Post by justinside »

Can you tell me what level of height control you have, do I need one? I plan on cutting flat stock, not sure what thickness yet, but I am thinking 16 gauge.

I have not got a cnc machine yet, I am considering either the Torchmate 2x2 or the Plasmacam 4x4

Thanks

Paul
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: DHC

Post by jimcolt »

You can plasma cut without height control.....but you will sacrifice cut quality and consumable life....and you usually have to stand by the machine while cutting.

A plasma requires a separate pierce height and cut height to allow piercing thicker materials without damaging the torch consumables. During the cut...height should be maintained at the manufacturers specs within about .010".....there is no plate on the planet that is that flat....especially while being cut with a plasma torch (heat input).

With a height control the cuts will be more consistent, consumable life will be dramatically longer, and you will be able to walk away from your cnc machine while it cuts multiple parts (which is the whole idea of cnc!)

Torchmate machines offer the torch height control as an option, it is called the AVHC. The PlasmaCam DHC and DHC2 (newest model) come standard with a height control.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
justinside
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: DHC

Post by justinside »

Jim

Thank you,

I got the Plasmacam pricelist and they list a basic height control for an additional 1k and an advanced unit for more, so do you think I need to spend the 1k or does the machine come with another kind?

Also my Powermax 45 arrives on Tuesday, can't wait:)

Paul

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”