Plasma cut stainless steel gutter guards?

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Plasma cut stainless steel gutter guards?

Post by Joe Jones »

I am getting a new roof after a wind storm tore my old roof up.

I figure, NOW is the time to cut custom 18 gauge stainless steel gutter guards to lay down beneath the first row of shingles! I can fit them to the existing gutters, of course, and they will keep the leaves and critters out of my gutters. What think ye?

Joe
GUTTER GUARDS.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
martyy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Stainless steel gutter guards?

Post by martyy »

Depending upon what kind of trees you have around your place gutter guards can be a waste of money. Many times the debris, especially needles just stick on top of the guards and start grabbing other debris. Then the water has trouble entering the gutter easily and runs off the roof. The larger dry leaves dont stick as much especially with higher winds like in the midwest. The good thing if you do this, is that you can do it much cheaper and probably have a little fun doing it.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I am in Kentucky. I have nine huge oak trees on my property, and all of the leaves are the size of the palm of my hand. So I believe gutter guards would work very well here.

I also want to put them onto my FrankenBarn this time. I cannot count the number of stupid birds I have rescued, by dismantling the downspouts to allow the critters to fly away. HOW does a bird manage to fall down a downspout? I guess I should climb up there and put screens at the top openings. The roofer can do this when he comes to seal the shop roofs. The FrankenBarn gutters are 23 feet above the ground.

The roofer responded and thought that making gutter guards on my plasma table would be a good idea. I can measure the lengths of the gutters, and custom make the pieces to fit perfectly, including at the inner and outer corners.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Looking good Joe. Some of the prices for gutter guards that I have seen are ridiculously expensive, making your own could definitely be worth the time. post pics of your finished pieces if you can. Curious to see them.
Joe Jones

Re: Plasma cut stainless steel gutter guards?

Post by Joe Jones »

I am guessing that I can measure the lengths of the various edges, and custom make segments that will overlap by 1/4" at the joints, and 3/4" at the inside and outside corners. With stainless, I should never need to clean out the gutters again, and there will be no rust stains or similar issues. On a sunny day, you should be able to see my home from outer space :lol:

Joe
GUTTER GUARD JPG.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Last edited by Joe Jones on Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Nice Joe, looks great and will be a perfect fit for your roofline.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Wouldn't THAT be something, to have my gutter guards be the cause of an alien invasion :lol:

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Do you plan to passivate the areas where you've plasma cut the stainless to prevent rusting? It's usually not too bad on an outline cut but with these exposed to the weather year-round and with so many cuts, I just wondered.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

rdj357 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:55 am Do you plan to passivate the areas where you've plasma cut the stainless to prevent rusting? It's usually not too bad on an outline cut but with these exposed to the weather year-round and with so many cuts, I just wondered.
Stainless steel?

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Yes stainless steel rusts when plasma cut, why waste expensive stainless steel on this project. buy pre-built plastic or aluminum and save the S.S. for a paying job.
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:25 am Yes stainless steel rusts when plasma cut, why waste expensive stainless steel on this project. buy pre-built plastic or aluminum and save the S.S. for a paying job.
Exactly. They actually even have stainless mesh guards pre-done ready made for the application and installation.

Otherwise, here's a good discussion on the topic over at the AWS. https://app.aws.org/forum/topic_show.pl?tid=3270
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

:lol: Call me crazy, but I think I can create better gutter guards than the cheap MADE IN CHINA CR*P that the big box store sell. What if I were to make them out of 16 ga. or 14 ga. stainless steel? They would be indestructible, and not flap up in the wind like the cheap CHINESE gutter guards I currently have installed all around my home.

Also, I could design the front edge to provide pre-formed hangers for strings of Christmas lights! Those c*mmie b*stards never thought of that!

A stronger, stiffer gutter guard would allow me to place a ladder against it, without worrying about popping it out of place, bending it, or crushing the gutter.

Besides ... I just like the idea of DIY projects!

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

DieselFumes
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by DieselFumes »

I would expect to see some surface rust appear after being plasma cut however It won't go beyond that. They will still last forever and no one will ever see them. Seems like a lot of work and expense but if money can be saved and a better result accomplished than why not.
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Joe Jones wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:33 pm :lol: Call me crazy, but I think I can create better gutter guards than the cheap MADE IN CHINA CR*P that the big box store sell.

Joe
So the stainless steel gutter guards (micromesh) that Lowe's sells are Atlas Gutter Guard by Gutterglove who proudly displays their Designed, Assembled, and Packaged in the USA credentials. I'm sure some raw materials come from China but I'm sure that's true of that new truck of yours as well.

Anyway, my point wasn't to talk you out of making them - just that to do it right you'd be best off to passivate the parts you cut considering the amount of cutting so you could positively avoid those 'rust streaks' you mentioned in a previous post.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

DieselFumes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:05 pm I would expect to see some surface rust appear after being plasma cut however It won't go beyond that. They will still last forever and no one will ever see them.
Heck, I won't last forever!

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

rdj357 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:02 pm
So the stainless steel gutter guards (micromesh) that Lowe's sells are Atlas Gutter Guard by Gutterglove who proudly displays their Designed, Assembled, and Packaged in the USA credentials. I'm sure some raw materials come from China but I'm sure that's true of that new truck of yours as well.

Anyway, my point wasn't to talk you out of making them - just that to do it right you'd be best off to passivate the parts you cut considering the amount of cutting so you could positively avoid those 'rust streaks' you mentioned in a previous post.
Thanks. Understood. I am toying with gutter guards that have built in mounts for Christmas lights and hanging decorative designs from them for Christmas, Thanksgiving, the 4th of July, etc. If the gutter guard slips beneath the first row of shingles, and the far end folds over the edge of the gutters where it is screwed or pop riveted into place, then hanging things like snowflakes or other designs from the lower hanging eyelets designed into the front lower edges of the gutter guards would be very easy. I know what is available from the big box stores. I want to improve on the design.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”