Aluminum lettering

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
Binderman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Aluminum lettering

Post by Binderman »

Hello all. I need to cut a bunch of aluminum lettering out to mark the doors in our school buildings so as to meet International Fire Code 505. Code says letters need to be 4"x 1/2" minimum stroke width.

With that said, what grade and thickness should I go with to make for the best lettering? Is 1/8" strong enough to resist vandalism (bent edges and such)? What about numbers placed outside in the elements?

Stainless steel would be nice, but I feel it would be to bright and shiny to fit very well with our 90+ year old buildings. And we already have a couple buildings with large cast aluminum lettering and scripts.

Any table setting recommendations with a Hypertherm 45?

Thanks everyone!!!
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Aluminum lettering

Post by adbuch »

I think aluminum, ss, steel, --- your choice. 11 ga. or 1/8" should certainly be strong enough. If you are worried, go with 1/4".
Table settings will depend on what software you are using and with which upgrades if any. Do you use 3.11 or Design Edge? Book settings for your 45xp.
David
Binderman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Binderman »

adbuch wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:32 pm I think aluminum, ss, steel, --- your choice. 11 ga. or 1/8" should certainly be strong enough. If you are worried, go with 1/4".
Table settings will depend on what software you are using and with which upgrades if any. Do you use 3.11 or Design Edge? Book settings for your 45xp.
David
DesignEdge and no height sensing.

Is there a grade of aluminum you would recommend, or just go with what is available and cost effective? Thanks for the info above!!!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I think what ever is available and cost effective.
David
ROKCRLER
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ROKCRLER »

I did a numbering job on a building last month, used 12ga SS as i had it, i did a test piece with alum, but the stainless with 80grit DA sanding looked better and mounted more securely.
These went on brick and i used tapcons to prevent easy removal, the ones on the doors i used welded 1/4-20 bolts with plastic anchors in the doors and pressed the numbers in.
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
Binderman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Binderman »

ROKCRLER wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:28 pm I did a numbering job on a building last month, used 12ga SS as i had it, i did a test piece with alum, but the stainless with 80grit DA sanding looked better and mounted more securely.
These went on brick and i used tapcons to prevent easy removal, the ones on the doors i used welded 1/4-20 bolts with plastic anchors in the doors and pressed the numbers in.
Thanks for the input. I'll look into the cost and availability of both then.

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”