PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
jjweldfab5238
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

installing a parallel port for plasma cam

Post by jjweldfab5238 »

Hello all,
my old dell desktop computer finally shit the bed on me,
it was almost 20 years old so not really the end of the world as i have a newer hp pavillion that im needing some insight installing a parallel port or printer cable to run my 4x4 plamacam. i have 3.11 installed already just need to figure out installation.

thanks in advance.
dedgar
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: installing a parallel port for plasma cam

Post by dedgar »

New to the board but wanted to share my experiences. I also inherited a PlasmaCam with a very old desktop and old software. Upgraded the computer and needed to install a parrallel port card. Did that but have communication errors (noise, current). Talked with PlasmaCam - they recommend a card that is rated at 5 volts and is @ 200. A avg card is around 20-25 so it would be a big expense even though I bought a new cable, installed an earth ground etc... Probably will have to purchase the high dollar card for stability or working.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: installing a parallel port for plasma cam

Post by adbuch »

dedgar wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:09 pm New to the board but wanted to share my experiences. I also inherited a PlasmaCam with a very old desktop and old software. Upgraded the computer and needed to install a parrallel port card. Did that but have communication errors (noise, current). Talked with PlasmaCam - they recommend a card that is rated at 5 volts and is @ 200. A avg card is around 20-25 so it would be a big expense even though I bought a new cable, installed an earth ground etc... Probably will have to purchase the high dollar card for stability or working.
I would recommend either the Axxon card or the StarTech card. I have been using the Startech (linked below) in several of my Plasmacam control computers for over 5 years now with no problems, and never had a communication error. Robert Johnson sells the Axxon brand at his site for a much lower price that the same card offered by Plasmacam.
David

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001Q ... UTF8&psc=1
StarTech parallel port card.jpg
https://www.490creations.com/products/p ... card-axxon
Axxon parallel card.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”