Plasmacam dhc2 Y dimension error

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Plasmacam dhc2 Y dimension error

Post by rdj357 »

Joe Jones wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:51 pm
rdj357 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:36 pm I don't make extensions. I make the full harness for $125 plus $0.60 per inch of overall length (controller plug to longest branch). I just didn't like the thought of adding yet another pair of unshielded connectors.
Have you heard about any issues with communication errors over (n) inches of cable? Is there a limit to the DEPENDABLE length? IOW, if I convert my 5x10 to a 5x20 table, will you make a cable track harness for it, and will it work?

I will be ordering a harness from you when I get rid of the ^%&*&^ boom and convert my 510 table to a cable track system! In fact, I will probably order several of them.

Joe
I have not tested beyond a 20' harness length. I have had zero communication errors (using an AXXON card and AXXON 15' parallel cable) since I started using the 20' harness. I am working on a kit for conversion to track but as you're well aware, the number of hours in a day is limiting. I need to go to an aluminum track holder for the gantry as the steel is a little heavier than I'd like.
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Jacampb2 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:47 pm
rdj357 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:36 pm I don't make extensions. I make the full harness for $125 plus $0.60 per inch of overall length (controller plug to longest branch). I just didn't like the thought of adding yet another pair of unshielded connectors.
I wish I had known that you sold the harnesses. I'd have much rather bought them from you rather than plasmacam. At least I know now for the future.
Be happy to help! I've had the materials since December and wanted to test so I made a 20' set back in January and switched my table over to tracks rather than the overhead boom. 20' is longer than I needed but again, it was really for testing - which has been successful. If you only need up to a 141" harness then Plasmacam will always be the less expensive option but for custom or longer than standard lengths, I can make it happen. I actually use multiple conductors wrapped in a flame retardant braiding so the encoder wires are shielded separately from other circuits so I'd say the chance of outside EMF interference would be lower with mine than even the original. Unfortunately, that comes at a little higher cost. When I give a length, the standard 5x10 harness is 141" for the carriage branch, 111" for the gantry branch. I can make them whatever length is desired for each with the overall length driving the cost.

Anyway - if anyone is after a custom harness I can help you, my contact is in my signature! Lead time is 10 business days excluding shipping time. Thanks!
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

rdj357 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:22 pm I have not tested beyond a 20' harness length. I have had zero communication errors (using an AXXON card and AXXON 15' parallel cable) since I started using the 20' harness. I am working on a kit for conversion to track but as you're well aware, the number of hours in a day is limiting. I need to go to an aluminum track holder for the gantry as the steel is a little heavier than I'd like.
Hmm, that is great for the standard 5x10 table. A 5x20 would need 22 feet for the gantry motor, and 27 feet for the carriage motor.

Among my many experiments in various stages of completion, I have gone the route of commercial signs. A plastic track with lengths of cold roll steel as the "wires" for both the X and Y axis. Each motor would have a "car", and each wire would have a steel bearing that rolls along the specific wire that rides on the track, maintaining a connection for each wire via a slight spring load to hold it down against the rod. There would be NO wires or harnesses. Just a multi-contact track for the gantry, and one for the carriage.

This is similar to how the many buttons on a steering wheel work. When you spin your steering wheel, you don't twist a wiring harness. You spin a "car" on a disk of copper strips, so the buttons maintain contact for the full 360 degree turn, or even several of them. This is how commercial lighted signs remain illuminated despite endless rotations in one direction. The old slot cars we played with use the same principle, with copper strips maintaining contact with the (+) and (-) terminals to power the slot cars.

For the cable track, I just bought some 1"x3" thin wall rectangular aluminum tubing. It seems it would be an easy thing to lay it onto the table and cut one web out of it either with the plasma cutter, or quite frankly, with a table saw, thus making a 1" x 3" U-channel. This is something anyone can do at their home, so it is not necessary to ship channel parts.

I already have several lengths of cable track I purchased YEARS ago for this project. so, I know about time, or the lack of it! I am so sick of this STUPID swinging boom arm!

Joe
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

Joe Jones wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:47 pm This is similar to how the many buttons on a steering wheel work. When you spin your steering wheel, you don't twist a wiring harness. You spin a "car" on a disk of copper strips, so the buttons maintain contact for the full 360 degree turn, or even several of them.
Actually steering wheels use a clock spring, which is a few wraps of wire around a spool. They don't use slip rings because they aren't as reliable as a wire for something like an airbag. The steering wheel buttons use a separate harness in the clock spring.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”