Not Far Off now! New Pipe Cutter Accessory!

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Not Far Off now! New Pipe Cutter Accessory!

Post by Joe Jones »

Success! My bearings are still on backorder from Northern Tool. However, on a hunch, I swung by my local welding shop. He just happened to have four bearings exactly like I needed! His price was higher than Northern Tool by 2.5x, but I don't care. It will allow me to move forward with the fabrication of a working prototype!

I just returned from a run up north. I picked up a Go Torch from eBay while I was up there. The seller is amazing! He is into drones, and Tesla coils, and computer robotics and such. I felt like a CAVEMAN standing in his shop. His education on this stuff is worlds ahead of anything I can understand.

He told me about a friend who lives nearby his house. It just so happened that his friend was selling a 30 WATT fiber laser machine, so I swung by to check it out. After a brief demonstration, I checked into a hotel to stay overnight, and left the following morning for the nearest (Insert my bank's name here.) I pulled out his asking price in $100.00 bills and the laser now sits in my living room :Yay awaiting the initial learning process and some experimental cutting and etching. I will probably move it out to the garage, because of the smells and smoke, but I can familiarize myself with the software and go through the motions in the comfort of my living room until I am ready to try the actual laser.

This is unbelievable! He pulled out a black anodized aluminum business card and burned the word "TEXT" on it about 3/4" tall as a demonstration. Impressive enough. but I asked him how precise the laser could be. He then moved the card a bit, did some mojo on the computer, and the laser did a quick flash. I told him it didn't do ANYTHING. Then he handed me a powerful jeweler's loop, and I saw the same word "TEXT" in the same font, etched perfectly into the plate at only 1/1000th of an inch tall! Heck, a human HAIR is .004" thick! He said he could put the entire BIBLE on both sides of that business card! :Wow

So I stopped at Lowe's to pick up some various assorted things to test. Ceramic tile, aluminum flashing, copper sheathing, stainless steel light switch plates and such. I want to KNOW that I know what I am doing, before I begin the really FUN stuff ... etching guns, for example!

But this weekend ... ahh ... THIS weekend is all about getting the pipe cutter to WORK. I still want to talk to an attorney about protecting the design, and so forth. But I may just make and sell them one at a time until some A-H*le copies the idea and tries to undercut me. Since I don't need the money, that will be difficult to do! I might sell them for a dollar over cost :lol: One thing is almost certain. Once I release it, PlasmaCam will have a very difficult time selling their pipe cutting attachment, a device and software upgrade that so many people have purchased, and perhaps a small handful of people have actually USED.

Joe
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Sounds like a fun and productive road trip Joe...man my life is boring lol. Glad to hear your closer to a working design, still anxious to see it in action!
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I ran into a small snag that I am working on now. It seems my plan to use 2" diameter rollers will not work. The castings for the pillow block bearings are larger than I thought, and I want the tubing to be able to roll above them if it extends beyond the bearing housings.

So I have moved to 3" diameter rollers to solve that issue. The problem is, I already received the belts I ordered, so now I have to re-design the thing to use the same length of belt to wrap two tubes that are each 1" larger in diameter. :Wow This put a hitch in my get-along. I have to change the design of the device frame and components without changing the exterior dimensions, but still accommodate the larger rollers. Back to work ...

Joe
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Two new toys!
GOTORCH.jpg
LASER.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I see anodized metal laser cut custom Christmas ornaments in my future. This 30 Watt fiber laser is just the ticket.

Joe
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Nice! We’ve had a 50w fiber for a little over a year now. Lots of great ways to use both plasma cut and laser engrave together!
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

rdj357 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:06 pm Nice! We’ve had a 50w fiber for a little over a year now. Lots of great ways to use both plasma cut and laser engrave together!
Well, here in Kentucky, laser engraving of guns can keep me very busy. I will start by learning how to use the software, and etch and cut up the sample stuff I bought at Lowe's. Then I will seek a source for thin anodized metal sheets, perhaps 12" square or whatever, and begin working on making and marketing custom Christmas ornaments. If I get motivated, I will probably move up to a bigger, more powerful laser. For right now this will give me a starting point.

Joe
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

rdj357 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:06 pm Nice! We’ve had a 50w fiber for a little over a year now. Lots of great ways to use both plasma cut and laser engrave together!
Yep. I am imagining a steel double layered tray with holes cut specifically for socket sets, and laser engraving to identify them. Rather than the egotistical socket displays that waste so much space, I can NEST the sockets efficiently, and put more tools into a small tool box.

Of course, I like out-of-the-box thinking, so I am going to experiment with laser key cutting, for example. I will offer property tag engraving, and other things. I really don't know what I can do with this. I suppose that once the word gets out that I have a laser, the work will come my way.

Joe
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

That laser looks super cool, have never seen that style before. I like it but keep your hands clear!
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Hey Joe,

You said the pillow blocks were to big have you looked at a flange type bearing? They come in a 2 & 4 hole design.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:47 am Hey Joe,

You said the pillow blocks were to big have you looked at a flange type bearing? They come in a 2 & 4 hole design.
Yes, I have many bearings here. I have boxes of bearings of many different sizes and configurations. This design requires the tube or pipe being cut to be able to roll above the casting, as the cylinder may extend beyond the length of the rollers that control the tube's movement. So I am moving to 3" diameter roller, or 2.75" if I can find it.

I want the rollers to be reasonably light. I don't want people to have to lift Schedule 80 piping onto the table :Wow So the 2" tubing I found would have been perfect, with a 16 gauge wall thickness at barely 17 lb. per tube. I think I will gain some weight moving to a larger pipe with a thicker wall, but I will look at large truck exhaust tubing and other things that are still a thin wall tube.

I would have had a working model yesterday :Sad if it weren't for the change in roller diameter. I have redrawn the machine with the new components, and will work on getting it together very soon.

Joe
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

weldguy wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:12 am That laser looks super cool, have never seen that style before. I like it but keep your hands clear!
It is a fiber laser. It is only "hot" at the focal point. you can run your fingers through the laser as long as you are above the focal point of the laser. It only works on metal. It is not a CO2 laser, so it cannot cut things like foam, or plastic, or wood ... or skin. I am not quite sure WHAT the difference is, but I THINK the seller told me that a fiber laser can't really harm you by running a finger through the beam above the focal point. Maybe I misunderstood him. :roll:

Joe
SegoMan DeSigns

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Joe Jones wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:54 am
SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:47 am Hey Joe,

Yes, I have many bearings here. I have boxes of bearings of many different sizes and configurations. This design requires the tube or pipe being cut to be able to roll above the casting, as the cylinder may extend beyond the length of the rollers that control the tube's movement. So I am moving to 3" diameter roller, or 2.75" if I can find it.

I want the rollers to be reasonably light. I don't want people to have to lift Schedule 80 piping onto the table :Wow So the 2" tubing I found would have been perfect, with a 16 gauge wall thickness at barely 17 lb. per tube. I think I will gain some weight moving to a larger pipe with a thicker wall, but I will look at large truck exhaust tubing and other things that are still a thin wall tube.

I would have had a working model yesterday :Sad if it weren't for the change in roller diameter. I have redrawn the machine with the new components, and will work on getting it together very soon.

Joe
Make your own out of UHMW or Nyoil.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:07 pm
Make your own out of UHMW or Nyoil.
Yeah ... the idea here is to use off the shelf items, rather than going custom, which would require me to actually MAKE them. I know about the oil impregnated bushings and other things. Since I am not a "manufacturer" per se, I want people to be able to replace worn bearings at their local store or online supplier.

PlasmaCam uses specially made motors and that four lead ACME screw, probably because it means you MUST order it from them, rather than picking up a new one at Home Depot. :HaHa I have found a source for those screws, and I have one made that is 4" longer for my 6" Rail Lift Kit, but they are NOT cheap.

I haven't decided exactly how to sell this. Given the cost of shipping steel plates and heavy bearings, I MAY go another route, where I sell the main components, and let YOU make the large steel parts in your shop, using your plasma table. For instance, the rollers for the 4x4 table are 78" long, and the rollers for the 510 table are 150" long (12' 6") :Wow Or I may decide to just put the plans out there, and let you all make your own pipe cutters from scratch.

Joe
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

YIKES! The 3" x 11 gauge tubing is $1.04 PER INCH! :Wow

I just bought two 24 foot sticks for $500.00+ The bonus is that I will be able to build a cutter for both my 510 and my 4x4 tables. :Yay

I will pick them up tomorrow, and then get back to the project.

Joe
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

PIPE ROLLER VIEW.jpg
The pillow block will support a 3" diameter roller as shown...

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Well %^$&*

So apparently I spent the day looking for a source of UNOBTANIUM. That elusive part that no one makes! I am using a long belt for this cutter, much longer than the PlasmaCam long belt offering, and the initial experiment failed, because well ... I do not have a machine shop. :Sad

I made the main frame out of 16 gauge steel with the though that it would be cheaper to ship, but with the weight of the tube and rollers, combined with the tension of the belt, the thing warped and of course that means the belts will NOT ride on the end of a bearing without something to guide them, since the centerlines of the bearings are not parallel.

So I spent the day changing this and that. Now it will be made out of a heavier sheet, with braces welded at points to keep it rigid. I found flanged idler pulleys on eBay :Yay but they are not the size I anticipated. So I had to redraw the whole belt drive again.

Now I ordered 200 of the pulleys which will be here in a few days. Meanwhile, back to the shop to make the new frame pieces and roller support brackets. I go to Nashville tomorrow to pick up the lengths of 3" x 11 gauge thickness tubing for the rollers.

On the plus side, I learned a thing or two, and I sure could use a 3D printer too!

Joe
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

RE: Fiber laser

You'd better study up on laser safety before you go too crazy. The difference between CO2 and Fiber is the wavelength of the light. I don't recommend running either through or on your hand. The CO2 will certainly burn you anywhere along the light path while the fiber will not but catch a stray fiber beam to the eye and you could easily be blinded. Likely? No. Possible? Yes. Worth the risk? Not to me.

What you have there is a laser engraver, not a laser cutter. If you think you're going to cut with a 30w just know that it will be a forever long and slow process.

Best of luck with the new toy and have fun but it might be a good idea to watch some of Russ Sadler's Fiber Laser Learning Lab videos. He's demoing a MOPA fiber laser and you probably have a Q-switch but still a lot of good info. https://www.youtube.com/user/SarbarMultimedia/videos
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

rdj357 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:24 am RE: Fiber laser

What you have there is a laser engraver, not a laser cutter. If you think you're going to cut with a 30w just know that it will be a forever long and slow process.
I know. But he DID cut through thicker metal via several passes. My thought is to use this to make very thin metal Christmas tree ornaments, or ornaments that can be strung along across a door, or inserted into a Christmas card, etc. I will have to experiment, but as you know, I like to think outside of the box. :Yay

I saw some videos last night about using this laser to "brand" leather. The seller showed me examples of burning awesome images into ceramic tile. So I will be experimenting with this a LOT.

I believe it can also burn wood and other materials, but he explained about the difference in light waves etc. A bit over my head, but it never hurts to TRY new things. I want to find a good source for a rotary attachment for this laser. I think I will end up with a nice CO2 laser soon as well.

Right now I am searching for a good source for thin aluminum sheets anodized in various colors. Sheesh! They are 'SPENSIVE, Lucy! I do not know anything about the anodization process. Perhaps it would be smarter (cheaper?) to cut aluminum and have the pieces anodized AFTER the fact? Maybe it is something I can do myself?
Best of luck with the new toy and have fun but it might be a good idea to watch some of Russ Sadler's Fiber Laser Learning Lab videos. He's demoing a MOPA fiber laser and you probably have a Q-switch but still a lot of good info. https://www.youtube.com/user/SarbarMultimedia/videos
Thanks Robert. I will become a You Tube fiber laser video junkie very soon, I am sure.

Joe
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Yeah! I picked up the 3" diameter roller tubes yesterday. Now I need those bearings from Amazon, and I have decided to create a plug end to the tubes so the belt has a groove to ride in. Th local welding shop has a 'YUGE lathe that can do the job. I will have him make the plugs and tack weld them into the ends of the tubes. Or I can make them out of aluminum I suppose, and then use set screws to hold them in place.

Closer ... closer ...

Joe
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I gave him a drawing with dimensions. Wow! The two pieces will cost $75.00 each. That is fine for the prototype, but I have to figure out how to get the price down into the $10.00 range. I might have to buy a lathe and make them myself.

I am also looking at other configurations. Trying to match the ratios exactly to the PlasmaCam software and servo motors is difficult. The 15-tooth pulley on the servo motor drives a 60 tooth pulley, which is coupled to a 24-tooth pinion gear that runs exactly 100 mm along the gear rack with each revolution, or FOUR revolutions of the servo motor pulley.

The true roller diameter is that of the gantry shaft, and two of them rolling in sync would work as a pipe cutter. But they are only about 1.25" in diameter and you could only cut tubing that is shorter than the shaft. Moving to a larger diameter roller set means you have changed the gear ratio, so you must then compensate for that change so that the rollers you choose will rotate to pass exactly 100mm of surface circumference beneath the torch with each four rotations of the motor pulley. I have not looked into the ability to change the resolution of the software to compensate for this change, because I am not sure that EVERY plasmaCam owner has that capability. It would be so easy to just build the cutter, and adjust the motor resolution to (n.n) revolutions of the servo motor per 100mm of tube roller surface passing the top dead center.

Joe
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Joe Jones wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:07 pm
I know. But he DID cut through thicker metal via several passes. My thought is to use this to make very thin metal Christmas tree ornaments, or ornaments that can be strung along across a door, or inserted into a Christmas card, etc. I will have to experiment, but as you know, I like to think outside of the box. :Yay
True. But just because you have a hammer, not everything is a nail. People cut holes in gun slides with a 30w all the time but it may take 8 hours! Thin stuff obviously faster but at the end of the day, it’s a laser engraver and not a laser cutter.
I saw some videos last night about using this laser to "brand" leather. The seller showed me examples of burning awesome images into ceramic tile. So I will be experimenting with this a LOT.

I believe it can also burn wood and other materials, but he explained about the difference in light waves etc. A bit over my head, but it never hurts to TRY new things. I want to find a good source for a rotary attachment for this laser. I think I will end up with a nice CO2 laser soon as well.
Some leather works OK, some is pretty bad at absorbing the light. Darker colors seem to do better. I do some marks for a local leather guy but he just wants faint almost water mark type marks and it works pretty well for this.

You won’t get good results in wood with a fiber without some kind of coating to help the laser absorb the light energy. CO2 will always shine for this.

As for the rotary…. EZCrash (EZCAD) is a pain in the a$$ for the rotary. I’ve never used ours to its full potential and am just getting it under control for what settings and mode to use and how best to get it done. Once I have that, I will be ordering a CO2 galvo laser to expand our capabilities in organic material processing speed.
Right now I am searching for a good source for thin aluminum sheets anodized in various colors. Sheesh! They are 'SPENSIVE, Lucy! I do not know anything about the anodization process. Perhaps it would be smarter (cheaper?) to cut aluminum and have the pieces anodized AFTER the fact? Maybe it is something I can do myself?
I import mine from China - from Richard Zhang at omglaser.com I do have a 12” metal shear and corner notcher that I got from my sign/award supply company to help cut simple blanks accurately and easily. He also has the rotary attachment that you seek.

- Robert
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Joe Jones wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:18 pmI have not looked into the ability to change the resolution of the software to compensate for this change, because I am not sure that EVERY plasmaCam owner has that capability. It would be so easy to just build the cutter, and adjust the motor resolution to (n.n) revolutions of the servo motor per 100mm of tube roller surface passing the top dead center.

Joe
Customizable Size upgrade is necessary to adjust the step resolution.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

rdj357 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:50 am
Joe Jones wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:18 pmI have not looked into the ability to change the resolution of the software to compensate for this change, because I am not sure that EVERY plasmaCam owner has that capability. It would be so easy to just build the cutter, and adjust the motor resolution to (n.n) revolutions of the servo motor per 100mm of tube roller surface passing the top dead center.

Joe
Customizable Size upgrade is necessary to adjust the step resolution.
I know that. I have that. What do the current default settings do, and what happens when I change them?

What EXACTLY changes with changed values? "Resolution of what?" The default value of X and Y are .000471239 That number has no meaning to the owner, because there is no explanation of what the software or the hardware DOES with that number.

Joe
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Okay. I will call them, but I am not expecting an answer to my question beyond, "Just leave them at the default setting."
PLASMACAM TECH SUPPORT RESPONSE.jpg

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”