Problem with water table

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
TTMotorsports
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Problem with water table

Post by TTMotorsports »

Ok so I built a nice water table but the problem i encounter is that anytime water splashes up on the cutting tip it gives the cutter an error and won't cut unless I blow it dry to get the water off of it. I see lots of other cutters with water at the plate you're cutting and water ontop and it doesn't affect it at all. Do you guys know why I would get an error when I have the water up even close to my plate I'm cutting? Only works when the water is 3 or so inches below the plate and then it doesn't help with the smoke nearly as good as I was hoping.
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Problem with water table

Post by Rodw »

This is not unusual. Water enters the tip and causes a short that effectively turns on the ohmic sensing signal.
This signal is usually connected to the probe signal. It is an error on most CNC controllers if the probe is triggered during motion.
You could try pulsing the torch to get postflow air going before cutting to help keeping the water out.

Becasue Plasmacam is a closed source system I've never used, I 'm not sure how you can resolve this but we were ale to device a workable circuit with linuxcnc
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

TTMotorsports wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:32 pm Only works when the water is 3 or so inches below the plate and then it doesn't help with the smoke nearly as good as I was hoping.
I would recommend adding small exhaust fan (draft system) to remove the smoke not eliminated by your water table. I run my water level at least 10" below the material being cut and my draft system eliminates most all of the smoke from the cutting room.
David
TTMotorsports
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by TTMotorsports »

I would love for it to pulse the air BEFORE it tries to start the pierce. As just using an air blower on the tip fixes the misfire from water in the tip issue.
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

run your rapid travel height as high as you can (that will fit within the Z axis travel) and it will help.

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”