Plasmacam refuses to initialize

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
Artisticmetalworks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Plasmacam refuses to initialize

Post by Artisticmetalworks »

Hey all,
I'm new here and new to cnc plasma cutting.
Recently bought a used 4x4 dhc2 machine. Been a battle finding the right PC, getting it to recognize the hardware and i'm finally to the point where i'm getting the machine to attempt to initialize. Unfortunately though i keep getting the error "Could not detect limit switch opening on carriage gantry". I pulled off the limit switches, found the part number and ordered some new ones as i read they are somewhat of a consumable. Replaced them and still am getting the error. Everything seems to work though which is really stumping me. X and Y axis go to the top left corner of the machine and touch the limit switches. the only thing i notice is that the carriage seems to just run into limit switch and stay there until it errors out and releases. It did this same thing on both the old and new limit switches. Can any of you give me some tips besides calling plasmacam? All it seems they are interested in is selling me the updated software. I would not mind buying it if this table proves to work and be profitable but as for now i want to keep my initial investment where it is. Thank you for your time and i'm hoping we can figure this out.
-Derek
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Plasmacam refuses to initialize

Post by djreiswig »

If it is just running into the limit switch and you replaced the switch and are sure it is wired correctly, then it could be a wiring issue. Maybe a wire in the harness is broken and the switch signal isn't making it back to the controller.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

Open machine diagnostics and check the limit indicators. They should be white when not depressed, yellow when depressed. If not, time to check switches and wiring.
Artisticmetalworks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Artisticmetalworks »

Thanks guys i got er figured out. Now i need the damn cable that connects the plasma to the controller. Plasmacam refuses to sell me one until i have a change of ownership form...crappy thing is i'm not positive who the original owner was. I have an idea but it's changed hands a few times...makes things difficult. Either of you have one sitting around that was provided when it was originally shipped? i tried the plug and play cable from jim colt but my plasma is too old for it.
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Looks like you found one on another thread and it's on the way! Glad you're pointed in the right direction.

I'd still look at trying to get it switched over into your name as the license to use the software is tied to that registration. Try to head off any future problems before they become serious downtime. If you call Plasmacam and talk to Brian in the sales department, provide any documentation you may have, hopefully he can help you get what is needed to transfer.

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”