PlasmaCam downdraft

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
jkarell
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

PlasmaCam downdraft

Post by jkarell »

Looking for some ideas on how people built their downdrafts. My current plan is to cut out the leg enclosures that come with the plasmacam, then use a portable blower to exhaust the dust. Should i use the inverted pyramid collector under the table instead? thanks for any and all help
Eagle Mtn Metal Works
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Plasma Cam downdraft

Post by Eagle Mtn Metal Works »

Hello jkarell
Send me a pm with your email and I will send you pictures of my set up. I am running a 5k down draft with duck work ducked to the out side. My exhaust fan is outside. Works very well. :D

Happy Holidays
Eagle Mountain Design & Decor
If it's Worth Doing Do it Well
Rod S in lower AZ
Rod S in AZ
crossfab
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: PlasmaCam downdraft

Post by crossfab »

I would like to see your set up also. I have the pyramid with a torrit exaust and wanting something better.
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

An exhaust system is on my to-do list also. I'll be using the straight-side panels as supplied by PCam (patterns).
What I have in mind is a box that would act as a plenum, with slots for filters just before the fan. My biggest worry is sparks being drawn into the filters. Does anyone have an idea for an effective spark arrester?
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
Eagle Mtn Metal Works
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

To All a Marry Christmas and Happy New Year :lol:
Hey crossfab and AnotherDeno
I would be happy to share my pictures with you on the site but I am still having trouble getting :( any pictures to upload.

If you send me a pm with your email I will send you the pictures of the setup.

With the way I have my exhaust setup I don't have any trouble with sparks. :D
Rod S in AZ
greywolf
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by greywolf »

Here is my table, It downdrafts 5000 cfm with all the smoke going outside plus I do no get any sparks outside with it. I hope this helps. Remember not to go to small of a motor or blower as you will have trouble with the smoke in your shop.

Thanks Ron...GreyWolf Metal Art

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Dennis
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Dennis »

Ron ,how was the IPE this year? Where sales up or down.
Eagle Mtn Metal Works
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Hi Ron
I notice that you have extended you table. Would you mind sending me or posting some pictures of the rails where you made the splices. I have seen pictures of some others but they are welded together and I don't want to weld them. I want to extend mine at a later date. I too have a down draft system and I have a friend that is a HVAC superintendent. so I had him come over and figure out what it would take to make mine operate at the maximum efficiency for my system. :D I am running a 5000 cfm wall mount exhaust fan with the duct work duct to the outside. No problem with smoke or sparks love it. Your system looks great. :D As an x electrician you do need to do something with your power cord that is feeding you jbox on the fan. It's looks like the conductors are to small. That could cause problem with the conductors being to small, it makes the motor heat up and could start a fire. Don't want any fires :( . You should have it on at lest a #12/ 3 wire conductor, and the breaker that is sized for the max load for the motor. Check your full load amps on the fan motor and make sure that you have the correct fuse protection for the motor. You should have at least 110% of the FLA (full load amps)on the motor for your power supply.
Good luck and keep cutting. :D
Rod S in AZ
greywolf
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by greywolf »

Thanks Rod: The wiring is all fixed-up, it was just open so we make sure we did not have the motor going the wrong way...lol Rod check your private message
Wesley Nichols
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Wesley Nichols »

very cool ideas.... when I was doin mine, I found an old squirrel cage fan that came off the top of a big industry building.... the guy just gave it to me.. It blows more air than I need... My buddy about sucked the rafters in on his shop because he was venting outside and didn't have any place for the air to draw from.... something to consider.. also... a big swinging door in one or both sides is nice so you can retreive small parts...

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”