98-z trouble

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
Brad5214
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

98-z trouble

Post by Brad5214 »

Im hoping someone here can help me out not sure how many people here are familiar with the original pcam machine. I believe my issue is the X motor but not sure as the motor and the encoder are testing to spec. When i initialize only the Y moves forward then it faults with lost position error when Y hits limit. In diagnostics i hold both X and Y and i can move X with one finger and the XY range says Lost. Also if i watch the encoder numbers the X does not reset to zero once back in to the corner and the numbers are random. But im lost because the motor always settles back at 33ohms when testing and the encoder is brand new and voltage tests as it should from 1 pin to the next. I get same numbers testing at the parts or the controller connectors. Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance.
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: 98-z trouble

Post by rdj357 »

Hmm. If the encoder is not counting correctly I'd worry about that. The resistance of the motor has to be measured in about 16 places because it is a brush type motor.

That said, you say the encoder is new and I've seen the encoder plug get plugged in upside down so check that. I think it usually doesn't count when that happens but worth checking. All encoder wires in the harness ohm ok?
Brad5214
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Brad5214 »

Yes all wiring checks to spec. And I did check the motor in all spots multiple times to make sure it wasn't a fluke. The encoder was put on Friday. I noticed the numbers not matching up last week so I bought a new one thinking it was just encoder. The plug is the right direction. When they get plugged in upside down the machine goes crazy. I've done that before lol.
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Darn. Other than the encoder possibly slipping on the motor shaft (that tiny a$$ little grub screw can be a bitch!) I'd be concerned about the controller and as you probably already know that would not be a good thing.

Can you swap the harnesses on the 98-Z? If so, see if the encoder count problem moves to the other axis or if it stays the same.

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”