Plasmacam Powermax 600 to Powermax 85 Upgrade

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
TTMotorsports
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Plasmacam Powermax 600 to Powermax 85 Upgrade

Post by TTMotorsports »

I'm looking to upgrade my Plasmacam DHC2 from the old Powermax 600 to a new hypertherm powermax 85. I'm still running the old plasmacam 3.11 software. Is it possible to simply change out my machine for the newer one and plug it in and go? Not very familiar with these things as I got my setup already all together and plug and play.

Thanks
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Plasmacam Powermax 600 to Powermax 85 Upgrade

Post by rdj357 »

Essentially yes. The software doesn't care what plasma source you're using. The particulars of the wiring will depend on if you're using a machine torch or a hand torch now and what you will use with the 85. You'll have to make the appropriate connections for the torch interface cable.
TTMotorsports
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by TTMotorsports »

Hand torch on the 600 and will have hand torch on the 85 as well
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

OK, yep you will be able to swap the connections of the torch control cable over to the 85 with little trouble. The large red and black wires will still connect to the raw arc voltage and the small black and white wires of the cable will still connect in series with the trigger circuit. I believe that is still a purple wire in the harness going to the torch connector. You can verify that by downloading the service manual for the 85 and looking at the wiring diagram near the end.
Contiveros
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Contiveros »

I would recommend that you get the machine torch on model 85 hyperterm has a CPC port that you can use to access the from the back of the unit. THere is option to get both the hand torch and the machine torch at the same time a little more monies but worth every bit since you can have a change option to use hand torch to cut as needed by just plug n play with the unit. Here some thing that jimcolt wrote:" If you have a Powermax65 (or 85 or 105 or the new 125) with the CPC port you can interface it very easily to the PlasmaCam. There is a guy (my son) that produces a plug and play cable for $75 (free shipping in US) that makes this interface easy if you have CPC and machine torch. It can be done without this cable as well, but you will need to get the mating plug, and make some modification to the existing PlasmaCam interface cable. I can help with that if that is the route you choose."

Cornelio
DHC2 Plasmacam Custom 7’ x 18’ Plasma Table, Hypertherm 85 Plasma Machine Torch, Miller 875 Plasma Torch, Lincoln Aspect 375 TIG, Lincoln 275 TIG, Miller 200, Lincoln 250 SMAW, Lincoln 256 MiG Spool Gun, Miller 211, Miller 210 MIG, Miller Trailblazer 302
Boneyard Welding & Fab
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Boneyard Welding & Fab »

I'm running a powermax 85 with machine torch on my DHC2 table, with the PJ Fab interface cable. *ones made by Jim Colts son mentioned above* It makes the whole system plug and play, which is great. The Plasmacam cable connects to the table side only, and the hypertherm cable connects to the cutter side only. Both require splicing on one end, while the PJ Fab cable is plug on both sides. They are well worth the price and save you from opening up one of your machines. Either way will work but I personally suggest going the plug in route. Makes it so much nicer that I can unplug my cutter and use it elsewhere in the shop when needed.
Boneyard Welding and Fabrication
Guysville, Ohio

Plasmacam DHC2 4x4
Hypertherm 85
Everlast Power MTS 221STi
Hobart Champion Elite 11000
Hobart Handler 140
Hobart AirForce 250ci
Lincoln AC225

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”