A little help...

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
divedog
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

A little help...

Post by divedog »

Alright, I am fairly new and am looking for someone on the east coast that has a PlasmaCam DHC2 that is willing to give me some help. I bought the table from a great guy but he's on the west coast and the time difference makes it hard to get some things accomplished. If you are in Florida, Georgia, North or South Carolina that would be great. I'm not trying to steal any ideas or trade secrets just need some help getting started. Right now I have a ton of work waiting but can't even figure out how to get this blasted machine and software going. Thanks
Loyd
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: A little help...

Post by Loyd »

Did you get the video manual with the machine?
Loyd
De inimico non loquaris sed cogites
Do not wish ill upon your enemies, plan it.
divedog
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by divedog »

I just got the manual downloaded a couple of days ago. The computer that came with the machine didn't work and we couldn't figure out that the software is not compatable with Windows 7 which was on the computer I was trying to use. I got a new computer and had XP put on it and it will move the machine to the zero point but after that it goes crazy for about 30-45 seconds then locks up the software. The manual doesn't cover anything close to that.
Loyd

Post by Loyd »

Explain goes crazy.
De inimico non loquaris sed cogites
Do not wish ill upon your enemies, plan it.
divedog
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by divedog »

The mouse runs all over the place, programs open up by themsleves, almost like it is having a siezure, lol.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Things you must do:

1. Purchase a UPS (uninteruptible Power Supply) at the local office supply store....it should be rated in the 400 to 500 KvA range. Plug your computer and your PlasmaCam control box into the protected outlets on this box. This provides a level of isolation from electrical noise interference.

2. Drive a ground rod right next to the machine.....copper clad steel grounding rods can be found at Lowes or Home Depot. Drill a hole through your concrete and drive it in as far as you can. To the top of the ground rod securely bolt on a metal strip with bolt holes, attach the plasma work ground here. Run a heavy gauge, multi stranded wired (gauge at least as heavy as the plasma work ground, fine stranded welding weld cable is best) from the ground rod buss to the slats in the cutting table.....directly to the slats. Als connect the same type of wire fromthe ground rod buss to the blue frame of your PlasmaCam, be sure to remove the paint and bolt it securely for a good connection.

3. Remove everything from the PlasmaCam computer except for the PlasmaCam software and Windows XP. Everything.

It will work better now!

Register your machine on the PlasmaCam site, there is a new user forum on that site that will help you learn to operate the machine as well as troubleshoot any issues. I have owned two PlasmaCams......I learned to CAD draw from a printed copy of the tutorial. It was tough at first, yet it is easier to use every time I turn it on. I currently have a DHC2 machine with a Hypertherm Powermax45.....absolutely love the machine.

Jim Colt
divedog
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by divedog »

After a day of frustration I have made a little progress. I purchased a UPS and hooked it up and made sure the ground was secured properly to the machine and grates. I did manage to get he machine moving around but the program seems to flicker on the monitor when the machine is not moving. After looking at the manual I have figured out that the guy who wrote it has to be a mechanical engineer, it starts off so advanced I get frustrated just readingthe first couple of pages. It even says that you need to set the torch height but if you are a beginner don't try it until you have worked the machine some. Isn't that an oximoron? The machine is working properly as far as I can tell but now I just need someone to help me with getting started and making sure my settings are correct. Yes, I am frustrated and tired. I think in a year or so I am going to make an instructional video that covers the three chapters they put in writing instead of on video.
divedog
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by divedog »

After some help from a few super people I am up and running, WOO HOO!! :D
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Ground rod......very important. Make sure you put one in or you will have issues! I have owned two PlasmaCams over the last 11 years....must have ground rod!

I'd be happy to help you out when you have questions. The more you use the system and the software, the more you will like it.

Jim
TammyVB
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by TammyVB »

divedog,

You may want to call some of the high schools in your area and get in touch with the welding shop teachers. They may have PlasmaCams and can help you. Also, a technical college that has a welding program may have that equipment, too.
geo4932
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by geo4932 »

Why don't you just call Plasmacam?
Support is free. 719-676-2701

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”