Advantages of snap n cut and machine torch

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
Binderman01
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Advantages of snap n cut and machine torch

Post by Binderman01 »

I'm debating on upgrading to a machine torch and snap n cut on my dhc table. What are the pros and cons of it over a hand torch? Cut quality?

Thanks
Luke
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Advantages of snap n cut and machine torch

Post by jimcolt »

1. The torch is easy to remove to inspect and replace consumables.
2. The torch always goes back into the correct location, perpendicular to the material. This improves cut quality (edge angularity is more consistent)
3. The machine torch from Hypertherm is designed and built from materials that will hold up under the reflected heat and UV from high duty cycle mechanized cutting. The hand torch handle will not last as long under these conditions.
4. The SnapnCut is designed for the torch to break away in the likely event of a collision. The newest version stops the motion immediately, and allows you to replace the torch and continue cutting.
5. The high speed, high torque servo motors on a Plasmacam have enough power to break a plasma torch. The cost of the SnapnCut is essentially the same as a replacement torch.
6. Industrial cnc plasma machines do not use hand torches. They use machine torches.

In reality, assuming you have a hand torch installed perpendicular to the material (every time).....and are using machine torch consumables in the torch....it will cut exactly like a machine torch. When connecting the electrical interface for a Hypertherm hand torch for use on a Plasmacam (or any cnc machine), you must get inside the power supply and cut and splice wiring, and tye wrap the torch trigger switch. This bypasses the safety trigger switch function that Hypertherm designed so that a hand torch (when used by hand) cannot be fired from a remote location. The machine torch is electrically interfaced through the CPC interface port (optional on some Hypertherm systems, available as a field installable kit)....so there is no need to modify internal wiring as you do with a hand torch.

To interface a machine torch (Hypertherm) on a Plasmacam: Torch mount (SnapnCut), Machine Torch, CPC Port (if not already on your plasma), interface cable.....are all needed.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Binderman01
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Binderman01 »

I was hoping you would chime in. Quality answer as always Jim, I appreciate it.
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

I'd hate to think I had to do without the SnapnCut. One of the most important tools in the shop.

Allen
hsolve
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by hsolve »

Good morning gentelmen.
The snap and cut is from Au I have met the guy that makes them and have one of my own on my table. This little component makes life much easier for consumable inspections and changes.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

This is my mini torch, Powermax85 plasma on a 9 year old DHC2 mounted with a snapncut magnetic mount. Many collisions over the years, not one damaged torch! It also uses a Plug and Play interface cable from www.pjmetalfab.com . Jim Colt

new pics 013.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”