we have a DHC and plasmacam doesn't care about us anymore.

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
JamesOuzts
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

we have a DHC and plasmacam doesn't care about us anymore.

Post by JamesOuzts »

Hi.
I have been running a DHC model for at least 10 years now. I'm hoping someone out there has had the same issue we are having with ours and has a solution. While cutting the in what seams like random places there will be a loud "clank" sound and jerking motion and then it will speed way up and move either up or down the y axis. I have checked for physical problems with the rails, gears, and cam followers. Two of the cam followers were worn so i replaced them but that didn't help. Called plasmacam and they said our software was to old for them to help us diagnose the problem. They want us to buy the new software for $2000. That seams ridiculous to me considering the software has been working for 10 years. If it would fix the problem maybe but they want us to buy the software just to talk to us about whats wrong. I was thinking about replacing the y motor but I don't have any Idea if that would do anything.
Any suggestion?
PlasmaMac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: we have a DHC and plasmacam doesn't care about us anymore.

Post by PlasmaMac »

Usually when a error occurs that is catastrophic and is not related to incorrect settings on behalf of the user (been there and done that), an error message will pop up. For example, if a limit switch is out or even if the z axis motor has a short in it, or any other problem tied to anything that is electronically related to any of the machine components, you'll have an error message pop with some sort of code and a description of such.

I have witnessed something similar to what you are talking about on an older DHC and it turned out to be a worn limit switch (which was really easy and just a few dollars to replace). However in this instance an error message did pop up.

Although I'm not sure about he clunk noise, but I have witnessed erratic movement of the z can being due to grounding issues (usually fixed by proper grounding of the machine via a copper rod in the ground connected to the bottom of the grates on your machine). And, perhaps improper height control settings (i.e. Arc voltage parameters) or possibly, machine control settings (i.e. Z axis motion control values), and sometimes times certain parts or components related to a plasma cutters worn consumables affecting an arc voltage reading (i.e. an over worn shield).

Nevertheless, I really think that you'll benefit immensely to the designegde if you choose to upgrade to it. It makes a big difference in everything in design work and does improve certain aspects of machine control as well on older machines.

Hope this helps!

Good luck brother,

JAG
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The best place to get excellent help with troubleshooting is on the http://www.plasmacam.com web site. At the bottom of the page is a link for the Owners Community.....join it (you need the serial number from your machine) and post in detail what your machine is doing, as well as what level software, what plasma, what you are cutting, etc. The site has thousands of plasmacam owners and they will be very helpful.

Your problem (clunk) sounds mechanical to me.As far as the speed changing...it could be a failing encoder, it could be a slipping drive belt or a loose, slipping drive pulley. Should be simple to troubleshoot and solve.....and it is highly likely that one of the other DHC owners has experienced similar symptoms at one time or another. Have patience! The plasmacam is a simple machine to troubleshoot and keep running.

The newer software is worth every penny (my experience), but if you don't want to get it that is certainly your decision.
Jim Colt Hypertherm
JamesOuzts
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by JamesOuzts »

thanks so much for the advice. after working with it im starting to think the clunk sound is from the sudden shift in speed and direction. the z motor is fine as far as i can tell. replaced it a couple of years back because of a short but it isn't misbehaving now. I have a new encoder coming today. hopefully that will get some results.
I'll take your recommendations about the new software into consideration. i didn't realize there was much benefit for the older machines. It will mean that i have to train my boss on the new software and that is always a challenge.
Ill take another look at the owners community too.

again. thank you. I truly appreciate when some takes the time to share there knowledge.
PlasmaMac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaMac »

If you already have experience on the older version of the software, plasmacam's designedge will be a piece of cake to master in no time. It is set up (i find) for a visual person to learn much easier than the older stuff. In essence, designedge will make many aspects of your work flow (from design to finished product) go much faster than before. There are some really neat features within designedge that will get the job done in a matter of minutes, as apposed to the ungodly amount of time (hours) that could be spend doing the same stuff using v3.11.

When you are ready for it, you'll get a kick out of some the changes in designedge.

JAG

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”