Torch cutting signal not detected

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
Cumminz_03
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Torch cutting signal not detected

Post by Cumminz_03 »

Hello, I just finished setting up my Sampson table with digital height control and advanced software. It is connected to a powermax 65 (with a mini machine torch and snap-n-cut) and cable made by Philip Colt. It is using fine cut consumables with cooper plus electrodes and is all brand new. I tried to test cut a strait line. I started with some dry runs to make sure it would work. When I let it cut it went down pierced and stopped. I then received a error message saying torch cut signal not detected. I checked everything and reset it. When I tried again it won't even pierce. I get nothing. I watched all of the trouble shooting videos. The sensor is working when I touch the metal to the torch shield (it turns yellow) and the voltage is around the 1.4 range. I tried to turn on the torch manually in the same screen with no results. I swapped out the torch for the hand torch and it worked fine. So I assume it's not the cutter. Any ideas. I would really like to finish my Christmas present for my mother. Thanks for taking a look.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Torch cutting signal not detected

Post by jimcolt »

Did you set the voltage divider inside the Powermax65 to the 21.1:1 setting per the instruction sheet that comes with the Plugnplay interface cable? If you misplaced the instructions ...the Powermax65 operators manual has instructions in section 3 (Torch Setup). It must be set to 21.1 : 1 or you will get the error message that you posted. Jim Colt

The PlugnPlay cable comes from http://www.PJmetalfab.com if anyone is wondering. Phill Colt (my son) has not been involved with that business for over a year, though if yours is a couple of years old it may have been made by Phill!

Feel free to contact me directly at jim.colt@hypertherm.com if you have questions or need further help...

Jim
Cumminz_03
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Cumminz_03 »

Yes sir I set the voltage divider as stated on the paper work. I couldn't figure out why it pierced once and wouldn't do it again. Is there a way I can force the torch to fire so that I can rule it out as the problem. I'm new to all this and don't have any idea where to start. Thanks
Cumminz_03
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Cumminz_03 »

Ok. I think I traced it down to one of the wires in my cable. It doesn't have continuity. It appears one of the pins on the cutter side isn't getting contact with the wire (white wire). It has continuity just before the pin but not the pin itself. Anyone know how to get a pin out of the connector?
PlasmaMac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaMac »

In all honesty, I have never have had a single issue by using the hand torch with the correct consumable configuration recommended by plasmacam and their step by step video instruction manual. (ie, ohmic retaining cap retaining, shield and swirl ring for machine cutting - placed on the hand held gun).

Plasmacam's tech department were extremely knowledgeable and helpful when one of my buddies needed some help on this. If I remember correctly, there is a slightly different method to follow in order to correctly hook up a machine torch vs a hand held. And as long as you use the same consumable configuration that you would normally use on a machine torch, but on the hand held..your results are going to be the same in my experience.

Definitely, give plasmacam's tech a call as soon as you can.

Good luck, Brother.

JAG
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

There is a little half round tool made to slide down around the pin and release the holding tabs on the pin. Might be able to find one at an electronics place.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

You can get it out with a small pick. There is a small little tab on the pin that keeps,it from backing out. Hold it down and it will push back through the plastic part.

Shane
jshan82
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by jshan82 »

I had the same issue with my plasmacam. It turned out to be the trigger switch on the torch was very sensitive. I rolled up a small bit of tape and put that in between the zip tie and the trigger and I haven't had a problem since.

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”