New to cutting

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
SCHRAMM
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

New to cutting

Post by SCHRAMM »

Yesterday I went and picked up a 98 z Plasmacam set which I know is old but literally only has 20 hours on it. I got it complete with the table, computer and a hypertherm 900 plasma cutter. Today I am going to do some set up just placing it where I want it in the shop so that I can have the electrician come in and put in the outlets. I have run a vinyl plotter for about 10 years which this seems much the same just a different tool cutting everything out. My question has to do with the gun attaching to the machine and connecting some jumper line from the trigger of the gun to the pigtails on the control box. I have no instruction for this and no clue what it looks like. Can some one explain this to me?

Rob
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: New to cutting

Post by Capstone »

The HT 900 is older, but Jim Colt (Hypertherm guru and all-around nice guy) can probably point you to directions on how to rig up the HT 900 to allow the PlasmaCAM to control it. PM him.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

I'm not in front of mine bit there should be a video manual on the computer or on a disc to be installed. It has information on the machine interface cable. Typically on PlasmaCam using a hand torch, you zip tie the trigger on and the interface wires cut in and break the trigger circuit in the plasma. The other 2 wires of the interface connect to torch arc voltage for height control.

Was the Hypertherm not previously used with the table?
SCHRAMM
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by SCHRAMM »

Thats what I am asking them, the one guy that called back said yes but they disconnected the piece when cutting by hand.
I dont know what to believe
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

If they were pulling the hand torch and cutting by hand they'd have to jump the interface cable where it broke the trigger circuit....

Here;s the text from the manual on hooking up the PM900:

"Remove the unused strain relief at the back of the unit and install the strain relief of the torch control cable in the hole. Route the cable to the other side of the unit. Cut one of these purple trigger wires. Add the black wire to this work clamp terminal using a crimped on ring. Route the red wire to the other side through this opening. Add the red wire to this electrode terminal using a crimped on ring.

Some of these plasma cutters have a problem in the trigger circuit. You may notice it having trouble firing; perhaps it just clicks or switches the air only. The problem seems to be limited to serial numbers larger than 900-009000. If your unit has this problem, buy a 33K resistor of any wattage from an electronics store. Crimp a 1/4-inch tab and receptacle onto each end and insulate it. Then connect the resistor between a trigger wire of the plasma cutter and the torch control cable."
PlasmaMac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaMac »

The 98-z is plasmacam's oldest model that they offered back in 1998. I am surprised to see quiet a few of these still around since they stop making them around 16 years ago. Plasmacam still offers parts and service for them, may be one of the reasons why.

If you haven't already, make sure to register your machine with plasmacam, then you can access the owners community which will help out a lot.

Later on, if you get their never DHC2 systems with designedge.....you'll absolutely love it!

Good Luck, Brother!

JAG

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”