Samson 510 wont fire

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
meatabolism
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Samson 510 wont fire

Post by meatabolism »

Hi All

I bought a Samson 510 and Hypertherm 85, with machine torch last year and due to a very busy work schedule have only just had time to finish the setup today.

My problem is it seems there is no cut signal getting from the controller to the Hyperterm.

The machine came as a complete package with computer control cables etc ready to go.

I can get the Hypertherm to operate using the supplied Hypertherm test control box and I have the Samson operating and tracing the pattern but will not fire. The test fire button on the control panel does not make it fire either.

I have seen many people refer others to the Plasma cam community forum but cant create an account as the supplier must not have sent my email to Plasmacam (I am in Australia) so I wondered if anyone can shed some light on my problem

Thanks in advance

Jim
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Samson 510 wont fire

Post by rdj357 »

The video manual is very helpfu and clear about what to do and check here. See if it is installed or if you have the disc to install it.

If not, or to see what's up:

Are you using a machine or hand torch?

If using a hand torch and the PlasmaCam control cable, you need to put a plastic cable tie around the trigger so it is held on.

Also, if you call PlasmaCam with your serial # they should be able to help you get to the owner's community too.
meatabolism
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by meatabolism »

Thanks Rob

It is a machine torch and I have been through the video manual several times but cant find any help.

cheers
Jim
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Is the cutting on/off light on? I've accidentally pressed that and turned cutting off. :oops:

Where are the wires from the PlasmaCam attached to the plasma? If you're using a machine torch, since you have a pendant (that I assume is plugged into the back of the plasma) and it fires from there it should work if the signal is getting from the Pcam to the plasma; it uses the same pins. I think it's pin 3 & 4 on the back plug that fire the torch but that can be verified by downloading the service manual from hypertherm.com.
see&see
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by see&see »

Jim,

Keep in mind that the PlasmaCam video manual gives the wrong connection for the machine torch. The instructions are for the hand held torch which are completely different.. Pins 3 & 4 up on top on the back panel are the ones but it also takes the special cable with resistors supplied by PlasmaCam and others. Jim Colt also sells one..

--Paul
You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
meatabolism
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by meatabolism »

Hi Guys

yep the cutting light is on

My cable to the plasma has pins 3 and 4 as does the pendant.

I am about to head back to the workshop to have another go, fingers crossed!
meatabolism
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by meatabolism »

Woohoo

Got it sorted, thanks for the help guys I am sure I will be asking many more questions.

I played with the plug where it goes from the cutter to the controller and I got an arc going but then it would only cut around 50mm then keep stopping. after an hour of muckin around with the no cut signal error repeatedly coming up I played with the plug once again and away she went!

Very happy now, I can finally start the learning curve on settings and performance etc.

Did a sign for the inlaws letterbox in ali which was my first real CAD peice and came up reasonably well, just a few mistakes with kerf width and need to tune the amps, speed and torch height etc to get a better edge.

Thanks again

Jim
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Great!!!!! :D :D

Use your cutcharts for amperage, cut speed, cut & pierce height, and pierce delay (estimated kerf is in the manual too). Jim Colt at Hypertherm's advice works great for me - that's choose the lowest amperage nozzle rated to cut the material, cut at that nozzles rated amperage (40,45,65,85), and set the software to all the noted paramaters including starting with the recommended cut speed.

If you don't have your manual it can be downloaded at hypertherm.com .

Happy cutting!
PlasmaMac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaMac »

Awesome to hear that you got it worked out!

Good Luck Brother!

JAG

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”