tool path issues

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
riddarunner
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

tool path issues

Post by riddarunner »

ive been having a few issues lately with my plasmacam. The table its self is fine, no complaints there. Some of the "holes" in the designs are not dropping out and are still attached by just a little bit of material. there appears to be a gap at the end of my tool paths but the gap at end setting is set to zero. The other issue is random tool paths. I noticed the machine was moving to an area that had been cut and firing the torch just for a fraction of a section as the machine is completely still then then moves to cut something else. this happens quite often. I then notices that when i created the tool paths the software was making very very small tool paths just inside or outside the tool paths i wanted. ive been just searching and deleting then but is there a way to avoid them??

Thanks

Ryan
PlasmaMac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: tool path issues

Post by PlasmaMac »

Hi Ryan,

If you are running with the upgraded designedge software on your machine, there are several things that I would definitely check out that could help. DesignEDGE (especially the advanced version) is loaded with a ton of really great features that allow you do just about anything quickly and easily.

If the gap at the end of the loop setting is set properly, your parameters are probably going to look like this:
Gap at end HL.JPG

Then your tool path should look like this (No gap at the end of the loop):
closed no gap.JPG

You may check, some of the other values (ie: the over cut to reduce under cutting) and possibly zero them out to see if it helps when you convert to a cut path.

For tool path order, Designedge has some really great automatic cut path direction features that follow logic really well (I use the reduce heat cut path order quite a bit on thinner material):
Cut path Order HL.JPG
If you need to completely customize the cut path order, you can us easily do this by using the side tool bar re-order buttons at the bottom (See yellow arrows). This will allow you to completely customize the order and direction(s) of your cut paths :
Re-O path Tool Bars.JPG

Or you can select it from the top menu bars: Machine>Re-Order Path(s):
ReOrder Paths.JPG

For your torch firing issues, I would the settings in your machine control menu. It sounds like your time delay setting may be off and may need to be adjusted to what the manufacturer of your plasma cutter recommends (this is usually found in the operators manual for your plaz).
Time delays HL.JPG

The last thing that you mentioned

“ then notices that when i created the tool paths the software was making very very small tool paths just inside or outside the tool paths”.

It appears to me that you may have more than one tool path right on top of each other. If you accidentally place more than one tool path on an object….it is really hard to tell sometimes. If this is the case, then simply click on one the tool path (so that it is highlighted and just delete it.. you make a mistake, just hit the “undo” button on the top menu). Once you have one cut path on anything that you want to cut, just save the file as a PCAM file and you’ll never need to place another cut path when you cut that particular design out again.

If you need some more help, give plasmacam’s tech team a call. They are really knowledgeable and can also definitely help out.

I hope this helps Brother.

Good Luck,

JAG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Last edited by PlasmaMac on Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
riddarunner
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by riddarunner »

Awesome JAG, Thank you so much for your help! I was able to fix the gap at the end of loop it was set to .05. I changed it to zero and the issue went away. I must have unchecked the ok to move box as my table was moving before the torch was firing. I think im going to start making videos and uploading them to youtube. when i had my torchmate i used youtube a lot and was able to fix or learn just about anything about my table/software from there. I noticed only a few videos for plasmacam on there. Again thank you a lot for your help!
PlasmaMac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaMac »

No problem,

Good luck Brother!

JAG

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”