4x8 plasma cam, has anyone done it?

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
thissideup
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

4x8 plasma cam, has anyone done it?

Post by thissideup »

I just ordered the parts to stretch my table out to 4x8, just curious if anyone's done it, have any tips or suggestions.
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: 4x8 plasma cam, has anyone done it?

Post by weldor2005 »

Lots of people have done it, why else would they sell the parts? I know a guy over on shopfloortalk.com has done it.
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

Congratulations on expanding your table!

I am always curios about why someone would order parts to expand a 4x4 PlasmaCam to a 4x8 table, when they could order the Samson 510 CNC rails, gears and gantry WITHOUT the control module and the servo motors, etc. You already have the carriage with the Y and Z axis motors, and you already have the X axis motor and other parts that the two tables share.

By ordering ONLY the 510 rails and upper components, grates, gantry, rails and gear tracks etc., one could transfer the carriage with the Y and Z axis motors to the new 60" wide 510 gantry, and the gantry X-axis motor from the PlasmaCam to the gantry on their new table.

I guess it would cost a little more. The purchaser could make his own legs for the 510 upper assembly, and I guess the user would have to buy the "customizable size" software upgrade ($998) but they'd end up with a better table with the proper grates, and the old PlasmaCam table without the carriage or motors could be sold for parts, OR sold to some CNC hobbyist who wants to retrofit it with stepper motors for another purpose, OR a person could just buy the 510 table complete, and turn the 4x4 table into a router table.
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
thissideup
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by thissideup »

Joe Jones wrote:Congratulations on expanding your table!

I am always curios about why someone would order parts to expand a 4x4 PlasmaCam to a 4x8 table, when they could order the Samson 510 CNC rails, gears and gantry WITHOUT the control module and the servo motors, etc. You already have the carriage with the Y and Z axis motors, and you already have the X axis motor and other parts that the two tables share.

By ordering ONLY the 510 rails and upper components, grates, gantry, rails and gear tracks etc., one could transfer the carriage with the Y and Z axis motors to the new 60" wide 510 gantry, and the gantry X-axis motor from the PlasmaCam to the gantry on their new table.

I guess it would cost a little more. The purchaser could make his own legs for the 510 upper assembly, and I guess the user would have to buy the "customizable size" software upgrade ($998) but they'd end up with a better table with the proper grates, and the old PlasmaCam table without the carriage or motors could be sold for parts, OR sold to some CNC hobbyist who wants to retrofit it with stepper motors for another purpose, OR a person could just buy the 510 table complete, and turn the 4x4 table into a router table.
I was sure I replied to this post. My primary reason for stretching my table is because its only going to cost me about $500. Regarding your suggestion of just buying a Samson frame, I tried that. P cam told me that they do not cross sell parts, so in order to get the samson parts, I'd first have to own a samson. As for the software upgrade, the old p cam software does not need to be upgraded to cut a larger area, just need to customize the size in the settings. And I make my own grates, so that's not an issue either. I am however planning to put a water tank in the new expanded table.
TandJIND
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by TandJIND »

I have made my table a 4x8 it was really easy.
I just ordered 2 more side rails for 500 bucks and I was done I also added a water table. It was well worth it :D
BlueLineMetalworks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by BlueLineMetalworks »

TandJIND,

Do you have any pictures of your water table under your plasmcam? Just curious to see what it looks like and is it functioning as you had planned it to?
Thanks,
Bill
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

thissideup wrote:I just ordered the parts to stretch my table out to 4x8, just curious if anyone's done it, have any tips or suggestions.
I am curious about what parts you ordered? PlasmaCam doesn't sell the legs, or the frame members, or the cross brace, or the 4x4 controller brace relocated to the center of the table.

What parts did PlasmaCam sell to you, and what parts did you have to fabricate from scratch?

Joe
Ironman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Ironman »

I have done it. Why would I buy a Samson and be stuck with the DesignEdge wallet milker, when I can cut the two center leg parts and order the two racks for 500 bucks? You move the existing corner legs out and put your home made T shaped legs at the point of the table where the original legs were that you moved ahead. I also chucked out the original grates and put in a curved grate system with replaceable slats.
It works great.
To note....if you just add on the second set of side rails and gear rack, you will have a 9'6" table, with the gear rack ending at 8 ft. That is because you have to slide the rack back into the original rail and butt to the original rack. for some people that is no problem as you can but the gear racking at any bearing supply house, and add it in for a full 9ft of travel. If you use the 3.11 software, set it for the correct travel, if you have design Edge, go buy a program add on to allow you to increase table size.

I have owned and operated my Plasmacam now for 10 years, and in that time I have worn out 1 cam follower, and it cost 2 bucks at bearing supply. It has been a bulletproof and simple machine. I bought it because it is exactly how I would build a table if I made my own. No fancy extruded aluminum tracks available from the mfg, just plain stuff that is locally available. No steppers, no gears.
The 8 ft extension actually takes up less room in my shop as I had to allow indexing room before.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I'd sure like to know where you found the replacement cam follower for two bucks. The lowest price I could find was $8.59

I know that a talented welder/fabricator can make the table larger. I just think PlasmaCam should OFFER the parts necessary to expand the table size without needing to reinvent the wheel. Yes, you can buy the rails, and the gear racks, but the issue of those gear racks not being long enough could easily be solved by PlasmaCam selling you gear racks for the 5x10 table. They refuse to sell a 4x4 table owner 5x10 parts unless you OWN a 5x10 table and vice versa, and that is just one of the things that irks me about PlasmaCam. I really like the tables and the software, but the company policies SUCK.

I am sourcing many of the parts for these tables, so I do not need to rely on PlasmaCam to buy them.

Joe
Ironman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Ironman »

Joe, the parts are all available locally through industrial suppliers, and the cam follower was from Commercial Bearing.
All the work I did on my table was bolt together following the construction of the original. Gear racking is available in 12 ft lengths from several US suppliers.
The Pcam co. looks at cost/benefit more than customer legacy support. They will eventually drop support for software to force sales of designedge, and then I will move to Sheetcam and Gecko drivers. I got lucky with being able to get the upgrade kit to DHC2, also discontinued.
I find Tech Support to be great, and for some things their pricing is reasonable, and some is wicked.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Ironman wrote:...the cam follower was from Commercial Bearing.
Commercial Bearing. In the UK? I'd really like to get some of those $2.00 cam follower bearings. Can you be more specific?
Gear racking is available in 12 ft lengths from several US suppliers.
Can you point me to one? Do you have a favorite?

Joe
Ironman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Ironman »

Joe Jones wrote:
Ironman wrote:...the cam follower was from Commercial Bearing.
Commercial Bearing. In the UK? I'd really like to get some of those $2.00 cam follower bearings. Can you be more specific?
Gear racking is available in 12 ft lengths from several US suppliers.
Can you point me to one? Do you have a favorite?

Joe
UK, huh?
The ones I got were Chinese as I don't have the 'buy american' gene

Well, the gear rack is:

Browning 4YSR20X1/2
20 Pressure Angle, 20 Diametral Pitch, Rack Gear
https://www.mrosupply.com/gears-gear-ra ... wning-ept/
http://www.regalpts.com/Pages/IFrame.as ... 26SS%3Dyes

Cam followers:
https://www.motioncanada.ca/productDeta ... u=00095868 (expensive)
$5
http://stores.margot.com/Mechanical_Com ... _0KaiSIvvM
two for $8
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CF8-Metal-Stud- ... SwgQ9VlXid

Other part info for you:
I have never needed and never had to order these parts so the numbers may be stale, but hope it helps.

SDP Belts phone 1-516-328-3300 www.sdp-si.com
Belt part# A6B6-098031
Belt part# A6B6-208031
Small pulley’s A6A6-16DF03106

McMaster Carr 1-630-600-3600
Limit switch Part # 7779K61 $2.23
Limit switch alternative part # 7779K41
DHC, DHC2 and Samson use "Normally closed" snap action switch.
250V 1 amp.

US Digital 1-800-736-0194
Motor encoder part# E2-96-250 $39.00

Digi-key 1-800-344-4539
Rotary MPG (manual pulse generator) hand controlled encoder in control box
Digi-key# GH6102-ND
Grayhill# 654321
Just a standard 1/2" cam follower.....example:
McGill CF V2 SB cam follower 1/2"dia 5/8" stud and #10-32 lock nut.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Thank you so much for that information. It took you time to put it together, and it is VERY helpful!

I was especially interested in the 12-foot lengths of gear racks, but I see they do not sell them in that length. Still, the sources are always good to know!

Joe
Rockenjvdesign
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Rockenjvdesign »

Where can you get the side rails to exten your table
Rocken JV Design We do it all
Plasma cam DHC2
hypertherm powermax 45
Custom furniture
Home décor
plasma_burn
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by plasma_burn »

Rockenjvdesign, if you register and login to the PlasmaCam Owners Community
https://owners-community.com/
you can purchase parts for your table.

After logged in and in the Forum section, select "Order Parts & Accessories" at the right.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

plasma_burn wrote:Rockenjvdesign, if you register and login to the PlasmaCam Owners Community

After logged in and in the Forum section, select "Order Parts & Accessories" at the right.
You can order the rails for the gantry, and the gear racks, and the grates, but not the other components needed to expand the table. On the Samson 510 table, the control box is located on one side at the center. If you expand a DHC2 table to 4x8, you will have to figure out how to re-position the controller box.

I cannot figure out why PlasmaCam does not offer a full bolt-on kit to expand tables, so we don't have to start fabricating, only to end up with a table that LOOKS like a factory plasma table with homemade components hanging off of one side.

Yes, I know ... we are welders / fabricators, and we CAN make those components, but some people want a factory look, without 1/2 of the table looking like a homemade add-on.
Rockenjvdesign
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Rockenjvdesign »

plasma_burn wrote:Rockenjvdesign, if you register and login to the PlasmaCam Owners Community

I know I can buy the 4 foot ones but my question is how about the tracks do you have to buy them and cut them to take up the gap in between the to rails
Rocken JV Design We do it all
Plasma cam DHC2
hypertherm powermax 45
Custom furniture
Home décor
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Rockenjvdesign wrote:I know I can buy the 4 foot ones but my question is how about the tracks do you have to buy them and cut them to take up the gap in between the to rails
PlasmaCam WILL NOT sell any parts from the Samson 510 CNC table to the DHC2 4x4 table owners unless you also OWN a 510 table.

I don't know what their issue is, but the most LOGICAL move to convert a 4x4 table into a 4x8 table is to sell the 510 gear racks (60" long) to the 4x4 owners so there IS no gap to worry about. You should also be able to buy the components to build tables in 4x5, 5x5, 8x8, 10x10, 5x15, 5x20, 10x20 and any other configuration you desire. PlasmaCam is really missing out on sales by maintaining their draconian business model.

I don't think PlasmaCam makes their tables in America. I think they come from China. Maybe they add the motors here, and a few other components so they can claim they are "Made in America," but the table frames and braces etc., all look like something you'd buy at Harbor Freight Tools.

With that said, I must assume these gear racks do not come from space aliens. I'll bet there are suppliers on the Net who will sell you longer gear racks made to the specs of the PlasmaCam tables, and probably for less money. Motion Industries comes to mind.

I have been gathering sources for most of the parts, but I haven't made the effort to find a supplier of the gear racks, because I am modifying my tables to a different transport system for the gantry, the carriage and the Z-axis that is FAR more accurate and FAR more smooth running than the Flintstone's cam roller setup currently used by PlasmaCam. :mrgreen:
PlasmaMac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaMac »

They got a really nice place in Colorado. If you have ever gone in for a demonstration, its pretty obvious where their manufacturing facility is. Its across the small street and has a parking lot full of cars. Its also right down the road down from a steel mill too. It was actually very impressive how a small company like is set up. A lot of thought went into ever part of their process.

I believe that its ingenuity shows in their product. I am sure that their is a reason why that company has been in business for 18 years. And I am sure there is a reason why there are a ton of people that have used the crap out of their machines and like them very much. They must be doing something right in an industry that like that.

I am certain, that China and Harbor freight were not sources for their square tubing and angle irons with a steel mill right down the road like that. My machine was also in stock and ready to be shipped when I paid. I didn't have to wait on anything to come in from china.

It was actually awesome to see a small American business like that that does what it does and offers what it does. I had a ton of respect for plasmacam after visiting it.

A really super accurate transport system... sounds fabulous.

Can wait to see the results.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

You should change your alias to 'Bandini'

It is time to put the hip boots on. It is getting really DEEP in here.

Joe

geo4932
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by geo4932 »

I don't know where this is coming from, Joe. "I don't think PlasmaCam makes their tables in America. I think they come from China. Maybe they add the motors here, and a few other components so they can claim they are "Made in America," but the table frames and braces etc., all look like something you'd buy at Harbor Freight Tools."

The machines are made in Colorado.
And yes you can buy the Samson rails and gear racks.

George
Bobcat320
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Bobcat320 »

geo4932 wrote:I don't know where this is coming from, Joe. "I don't think PlasmaCam makes their tables in America. I think they come from China. Maybe they add the motors here, and a few other components so they can claim they are "Made in America," but the table frames and braces etc., all look like something you'd buy at Harbor Freight Tools."

George
Exactly why I don't pay attention to him or his ramblings anymore.
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hyperthem PM65
Edwards 25T Ironworker
Miller Mig, Tig, Stick & Portable

Why pierce it when you can punch it!
PlasmaMac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaMac »

[quote="Bobcat320"][quote="geo4932"]I don't know where this is coming from, Joe. "I don't think PlasmaCam makes their tables in America. I think they come from China. Maybe they add the motors here, and a few other components so they can claim they are "Made in America," but the table frames and braces etc., all look like something you'd buy at Harbor Freight Tools."

Bobcat,

Sad but true. You are right on the money with this one
That is also exactly why I and apparently many others, have lost a lot of interest and don't pay attention the ramblings anymore either.

A few Plasmaspiders users have informed that they use a filter tool within plasmaspider's user control panel (its on the last tab) to filter out his posts. I never really thought about that. I just tried it, and WOW. That is really handy.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Way to go, "PlasmaMac" PlasmaCam employee, Jasper!

I am always entertained by your feeble efforts to pretend you know absolutely nothing about the company, when you WORK for them.

PlasmaCam MANUFACTURES the tables in Colorado? Really? They take raw sheet metal and plate steel (fresh from the steel mill just up the road) , and cut out the parts, and bend them and paint them right there, and they pack them up in the crate and ship them off, is that right? Wow! That's awesome! I'm going to make a point of swinging by the manufacturing plant on my next trip through Colorado. What was that address again? ...

Joe

MIFab

Post by MIFab »

geo4932 wrote:The machines are made in Colorado.
George
When I was looking to buy the full length gear racks I was told that you don't offer complete sections of gear racks just like the side rails are in 2 sections its to make it more feasible for shipping . I to had buy the rails that I will have to cut to make a 4x8 table.

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”