PlasmaCam Files

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
conradestrada
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

PlasmaCam Files

Post by conradestrada »

Just a recommendation plasmacam offers their updates for free. I think 3.11 is the latest, for simplicity maybe everybody should update to be able to share the plasmacam files if they can't figure out how to export into .dxf. Just thinking!
bripoe
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: PlasmaCam Files

Post by bripoe »

I think the latest DesignEdge Software is 4.32. It takes a software upgrade, to be able to export DXF files, for around $1000.00

Brian
thissideup
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by thissideup »

Im curious if anyone has tried running a new P cam table with old software, I love my old software but my table is too small.
conradestrada

Post by conradestrada »

I just called and had the 3.11 emailed to me and it exports to dxf plain old pcm software
DXF
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by DXF »

conradestrada wrote:I just called and had the 3.11 emailed to me and it exports to dxf plain old pcm software
I have 3.11 Plasma Cam software and you can't open pcm files from design edge with it.

Dave Hanks
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

I have 3.11 Plasma Cam software and you can't open pcm files from design edge with it
I don't have PLasma CAM but considered them when deciding on a table. Stayed away just for this reason, that they upgraded their software and took away features that they then wanted to charge extra for.
From the latest version of Design Edge I don't suppose there is an option to save files as an older version as other softwares such as Autocad allow?
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
BrianMick
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BrianMick »

tnbndr wrote:
I have 3.11 Plasma Cam software and you can't open pcm files from design edge with it
I don't have PLasma CAM but considered them when deciding on a table. Stayed away just for this reason, that they upgraded their software and took away features that they then wanted to charge extra for.
From the latest version of Design Edge I don't suppose there is an option to save files as an older version as other softwares such as Autocad allow?
Yes you can export to a 3.11 version just like you would export to dxf....you just have to choose the file type when exporting..
Brian
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

I have thousands of old Plasmacam .PCM files from my first Plasmacam machine. I have no trouble importing them to my newer Design Edge.....you do have to choose the correct file type when doing so.

If you need to move the newer files drawn in Design Edge (for some reason) back to the older 3.11 software....simply export them as a .dxf file, the 3.11 will open them right up and then you can save them as a .PCM.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

If you need to move the newer files drawn in Design Edge (for some reason) back to the older 3.11 software....simply export them as a .dxf file, the 3.11
Jim, the problem seems to be that not everyone pays the extra cash for the DXF export feature from Design Edge.
But if what Brian states above is true, one could export from Design Edge as an older 3.11 file format, open that in version 3.11 and then export as a DXF. You would just have to keep two versions running on your computer which should not be a big deal.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
BrianMick

Post by BrianMick »

tnbndr wrote:
If you need to move the newer files drawn in Design Edge (for some reason) back to the older 3.11 software....simply export them as a .dxf file, the 3.11
Jim, the problem seems to be that not everyone pays the extra cash for the DXF export feature from Design Edge.
But if what Brian states above is true, one could export from Design Edge as an older 3.11 file format, open that in version 3.11 and then export as a DXF. You would just have to keep two versions running on your computer which should not be a big deal.
I don't believe you will be able to install both instances of plasmacam on the same computer as it will more or less just upgrade when you install. But you could do it on two computers.
brian
PlasmaMac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaMac »

Are you trying to program a different CNC system? if you are, the designedge upgrade is total worth it! It will give you the ability to export out in a multitude of drawing file different formats and post processor g-code files in order to prgram other systems, as well.

As for the basic designedge, You can import pretty much any file format into the basic design program (even the basic designedge is a lot better than 3.11 in a lot of ways when it come to design work). In all honesty, if you already use a run of the mill cad program, you can import any file into the basic design program for use on a plasmacam machine.

I am really not sure why you would want to design in the basic version of the program in order to jimmy rig a dxf file (like I said, there are a ton of inexpensive..even free dxf file generation drawing programs out there that you can import into the basic designedge for use on the plasmacam).

Now with the more advanced designedge program (for use on a system other than a plasmacam), this would make sense because there are hundreds of other features vs the basic that make the plasmacam's designedge program one of the best metal working design programs for use on a CNC cutting system weather is a plasmacam or not.

JAG

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”