PlasmaCAM experts needed

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
goodhue1
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

PlasmaCAM experts needed

Post by goodhue1 »

So before I start I want you guys to know that I am a newbie and I have very minimal knowledge of this system. Having said that I need your help on a few things.

So I am currently a senior in high school and our school has a PlasmaCAM DHC2 with the DesignEdge software and the basic height control. The system was purchased 3 years ago and I am the first one who has really dug in and tried to utilize the machine to its full potential. My school is pretty small so the metal technology teacher is the ag teacher. Our old teacher (who purchased the machine and was figuring out how to run it) retired and was replaced this year by a new teacher who had never taught a shop class, or ever used a welder before. Needless to say the entire shop is everyman for himself. Here are my main problems.
1.)SETTINGS
What settings should I be running on the plasmacutter. I have been cutting some 3/16 mild steel at 60 amps and 65ipm and then today I looked at the torch to check the consumables and I saw that there is a 40 amp drag tip installed. What should be on there for cutting 1/8'' to 3/16'' steel? Also what air pressure should I be running. There is no literature on this plasma cutter anywhere in the shop and from what I have found there isnt a really complete cut chart on TD's Website.

2.) HEIGHT CONTROL
Currently I have been just setting the height and been standing next to the machine manually raising and lowering the z axis to compensate for warped/ bent steel. (PITA!) As I said before this machine is running basic height control. I have done a little research in the last few days and I have found that this is an Ohmic sensor style cut height control. The cam has a wire running from the z axis motor to a spade connector that is just hanging there. I believe that that needs to get connected to the tip somehow (Is that correct). Does this need to be a special consumable set? If so part numbers would be greatly appreciated. I have looked at the settings for the THC and it calls for a x axis shift and an arc voltage number if I recall correctly. What do you guys usually run in these settings.

Sorry guys for the long post but I really need some guidance and I know this is the site to find it! I have seen what this machine is capable and I am really close to fully utilizing it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

THANKS!
Michael
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: PlasmaCAM experts needed

Post by AnotherDano »

For that ohmic sensor wire, many of us started with something similar to the picture below.
It's not an ideal solution but will get you started. The picture isn't ideal either - sorry.
It's just a hose clamp with a piece of 12ga copper wire formed into a loop. A thin piece of scrap that fits the PCam wire is clamped in there along with the wire to provide continuity from the wire to the connector.

Hypertherm 30a with hand-held torch.
IMG_0059.JPG
First; Go to the user control panel and tell us where you are, City and State. A guy just across the street may have the answers to your questions.

Second; Describe your cutter, make & model. Tell us everything about what torch you're using - everything you can about your equipment. We can help you better, knowing what you're working with.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
goodhue1
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by goodhue1 »

Second; Describe your cutter, make & model. Tell us everything about what torch you're using - everything you can about your equipment. We can help you better, knowing what you're working with.[/quote]

Sorry.. I forgot to include the plasma we are using. We have a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 82.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

Also check in at the PlasmaCam website and go to the Owner's Community Forum. Tech manuals for the machine can be downloaded, and George or one of the other techs will answer your questions. I have the Samson 510 CNC plasma table, the "Big Brother" to the PlasmaCam, and I am also in the learning stages, but I am a 56 year old fart with a lot of free time on my hands.
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
icmplasma85
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by icmplasma85 »

To my knowledge you can't use ohmic sensing with basic height control. You will need to upgrade to advance height control to give the software the correct settings to allow you to use it. You can buy the retaining cap and plug the wire to it but it won't do anything unless you pay the $1000 to get advanced. With advanced, when you open the settings menu, you have a box that can be checked that allows the torch to "sense material to zero". Basic does not have that option.
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hypertherm Powermax 65
Millermatic 211 MIG Welder
BrianMick
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BrianMick »

I know it is about a 2 hour drive up to Saint Cloud from Goodhue.....but I have a sampson table with design edge. Maybe a couple of hours of some help from me or my operators would help you learn alot....
Brian
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

Atta Boy, Brian.

Cheers to you :D
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
goodhue1
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by goodhue1 »

BrianMick wrote:I know it is about a 2 hour drive up to Saint Cloud from Goodhue.....but I have a sampson table with design edge. Maybe a couple of hours of some help from me or my operators would help you learn alot....
Brian
Thanks for the offer Brian! I will keep you in mind.
goodhue1
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by goodhue1 »

icmplasma85 wrote:To my knowledge you can't use ohmic sensing with basic height control. You will need to upgrade to advance height control to give the software the correct settings to allow you to use it. You can buy the retaining cap and plug the wire to it but it won't do anything unless you pay the $1000 to get advanced. With advanced, when you open the settings menu, you have a box that can be checked that allows the torch to "sense material to zero". Basic does not have that option.
I thought the basic height control was Ohmic sensing and the advanced was Digital. In my software I can turn on height control but I cannot turn on the digital settings. I have turned on the height control but when it tries to sense the material it obviously put up the error message that material wasnt sensed because the sensor is not hooked up. I did a little more research and found the ohmic sensing consumables from Thermal Dynamics. The "ohmic clip" part no: 9-8259 had a spot for the wire to hook onto but in order to use this part do I need to use a shield cup and a shield cap?
goodhue1
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by goodhue1 »

[quote="AnotherDano"]For that ohmic sensor wire, many of us started with something similar to the picture below.
It's not an ideal solution but will get you started. The picture isn't ideal either - sorry.
It's just a hose clamp with a piece of 12ga copper wire formed into a loop. A thin piece of scrap that fits the PCam wire is clamped in there along with the wire to provide continuity from the wire to the connector.

Hypertherm 30a with hand-held torch.
IMG_0059.JPG
I am also thinking of giving your homemade ohmic sensor set up a try. Does the wire have to be in contact with the tip or is it set up to contact the material at the same height as the tip?
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by mdwalker »

This is what I use on my PowerMax 1000

http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1203
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

goodhue1 wrote:
I am also thinking of giving your homemade ohmic sensor set up a try. Does the wire have to be in contact with the tip or is it set up to contact the material at the same height as the tip?
It should not be in contact with the tip. Its job is to sense the material.
As a rough rule-of-thumb, there should be a nickles worth of difference between the tip and the material when the wire touches the metal. Put a nickle on the steel and lower the tip until it touches the coin, then bend the wire down until it touches the material.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Largemouthlou »

Best thing you can do is take the time and visit with Brian!! Hands on is better then a thousand words or pics!!

Also make a list of your questions, leave space for answers, write full answers don't abbreviate. You will be over whelmed and think you will remember everything but that don't work!!

Take a few pictures or video's of setting pages for machine set up, send them to your email in case something happens to phone.

To this day I would love to have someone more experienced that would take time with me and I could watch..
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

goodhue1 wrote:
BrianMick wrote:I know it is about a 2 hour drive up to Saint Cloud from Goodhue.....but I have a sampson table with design edge. Maybe a couple of hours of some help from me or my operators would help you learn alot....
Brian
Thanks for the offer Brian! I will keep you in mind.
If I were you, I would JUMP on that offer.
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”