Plasmacam bearings

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Plasmacam bearings

Post by Metriccar »

One of the things I was critical of on Plasmacam and one of the reasons I thought Dynatorch offers a better machine, is that I have bearings riding on powder coated sheetmetal channels where I have to scrape the powdercoating as it gunks off. I went with the PlasmaCam due to possibly having higher resale value compared to a brand while it may be good, people have never heard of it. It appears I'll be keeping this for quite a while though so I guess that shouldn't haven't been so important to me. OTOH the Design Edge software works great for me so I guess I could have done worse.

Anyways PlasmaCam uses IKO part number CR8-1VBUU cam follower bearings for movement on the X and Y axis. I'm wondering if anyone found a cross to a reputable brand, like Timken, or SKF? Or other? I've never heard of IKO. I found a place that carries these IKO bearings for $9 each. But if I can even get smoother operation/longer life for around the same price I may as well.

http://www.aotengbearing.com/p/iko-roll ... 02075.html

Has anyone crossed and have a part number to a good brand?

The table is already screeching after about 6 months use.
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Plasmacam bearings

Post by Shane Warnick »

I use these and am having good luck with them. I ran the factory set about 500,000 inches of cutting and a few were worn and starting to chatter so I replaced them all. So far so good. I think I paid around $12 each for them.

Also check out this post

http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=2183
IMG_20141112_123227300.jpg
Shane

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DXF
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by DXF »

Metriccar wrote:One of the things I was critical of on Plasmacam and one of the reasons I thought Dynatorch offers a better machine, is that I have bearings riding on powder coated sheetmetal channels where I have to scrape the powdercoating as it gunks off. I went with the PlasmaCam due to possibly having higher resale value compared to a brand while it may be good, people have never heard of it. It appears I'll be keeping this for quite a while though so I guess that shouldn't haven't been so important to me. OTOH the Design Edge software works great for me so I guess I could have done worse.

Anyways PlasmaCam uses IKO part number CR8-1VBUU cam follower bearings for movement on the X and Y axis. I'm wondering if anyone found a cross to a reputable brand, like Timken, or SKF? Or other? I've never heard of IKO. I found a place that carries these IKO bearings for $9 each. But if I can even get smoother operation/longer life for around the same price I may as well.

http://www.aotengbearing.com/p/iko-roll ... 02075.html

Has anyone crossed and have a part number to a good brand?

The table is already screeching after about 6 months use.
Wow! The bearings are screeching after 6 months? I have a Plasma Cam machine and I blow the dust out of the bearings once a year and then spray them with "Mystery oil" - then wipe them off. Pop the cutting head off and do so with those bearings. I have cut a bunch in the last 15 years and they still work fine. Had the same problem with the gunk coming off on the rails - Grind them smooth where the rails ride on the bearings on both the X and the Y axis. Also blow the stuff out of the gear racks .

Dave Hanks
icmplasma85
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by icmplasma85 »

After I read a similar post the other day, I checked my total cut inches since SW install. I am a little over 400,000 cut inches. I do the same thing, keep dust blown out and use a non oil graphite spray to lube every now and then if it starts making a little noise. 6 months is way too soon to be having problems, even with heavy use. You may have had something racked and it wore out quicker or something along those lines. I have had my DHC2 for over 2 years, with moderate use in the beginning to now using almost every day. I also have a downdraft table that keeps a lot of the heavy dust off of moving parts.
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hypertherm Powermax 65
Millermatic 211 MIG Welder
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

Thanks. I. Picked some up. It doesn't always squeak but it's doing it more and more. I have no explanation I just know they are making noise. I think I'll hold off until they make more noise though. Just trying to keep everything clean. I didn't take my dust control as seriously as I could have so that's all I can guess.
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

I think the factory bearings are the cheapest they could possibly get, and they bought as many as they could. Not knocking them just saying. I had several that were bent upon assembly of the machine, one was on the carriage and actually was affecting my torch alignment. Plasmacam sent me a few to replace the ones that I found that were bent, but when I removed the old ones I was appalled at how hard they were to turn, so I replaced all of mine. My cut quality improved, and it no longer shudders / stutters occasionally like it was, so I think it was warranted. Keep in mind that it wasn't like it was jumping all around, but if you laid your hand on the rails while it was running every once in a while you could feel it chatter or vibrate but never along the same axis or in the same spot. At first I thought it was a rough spot somewhere in the powder coat, but finally settled on the bearing, and I think it was indeed the culprit. I keep mine fairly clean but I am running it hard 40-60 hrs a week so I guess we will see how the new ones hold up. I sourced mine from the local bearing supply and bought enough the change them this time and once more, hopefully I won't have to do it again for some time. I lube with graphite spray once or twice a week depends on how much thick stuff I am cutting, the thicker it is seems like more junk gets thrown around during the pierces.

Shane
PlasmaMac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaMac »

My bearings have been in pretty good shape through heavy production and use for the last year. However, there is one thing that I have been doing differently that was recommended by a friend who also has a Plasmacam system. As long as you don't mind the color contrast, placing some adhesive Stainless Steel tape on the the bearing path (gantry and rails) makes for much smoother ride.

Blowing off the machine with some compressed air the end of each day definitely helps keep everything humming through heavy use, however I have seen plenty of folks use and abuse the machine w/o thinking twice about it, with few issues as well.

The replacement bearings are pretty inexpensive and pretty easy to order through the owners community.

I haven't had a problem with the IKO's, and in all honesty I am positive that the x-refs that I have found from Mcgill, Torrington and INA and appear to be pretty much the same as IKO .... RBC's (Aerospace parts) makes good stuff in general, and may be a safe bet . If anyone finds cam followers made with ceramic bearings, make sure to let me know....

I have never needed to use lube on the cam follower at all, however I have witnessed big problems with people who have used Graphite lube on them and it appears that they have pretty much have a worthless set of bearing fairly quickly...I don't use any lube and of course if you had to most people would think that a dry lube would be a safe bet, however graphite lube (within a certain temp threshold) will prevent the balls from rolling causing the balls to skid and damage the bearing. In time, the cam follower can lock up and pretty much get destroyed. I know that it has to get pretty hot for this to happen, however according to some, it definitely can happen on the machine...and squeaking is not a good sign of this..

If they are squeaking definitely remove and replace.. and Try the $8 Adhesive Stainless Steel Tape Solution along with the new cam followers..the tape will make a big difference on the smoothness of the ride, no more gunking will occur and it will also protect the paint extremely well. If you ever need to remove it, 3m General purpose Adhesive Remover is perfect because it will not damage the powder coat (Water Displacement Formula # 40 is an acceptable alternative). If you need natural solution Eucalyptus oil also works.

Good luck guys!

JAG
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

JAG, I want to try the stainless steel adhesive tape on the gantry. Do you put it on the rails along the side of machine too?

This is my one and only complaint about plasmacam. It's lame to have bearings riding along steel tubing with powder coat on it that peels off.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

Powder coating should not come off. If that is happening (it is on my 510 table as well) then the powder coating is cheap or bad, or it is really red PAINT, not powder coating.
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

Powdercoat had already popped off my Samson gantry before I even uncrated it. You could tell by looking that the metal hadn't been prepped.

Allen
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

I put some McGill bearings on (CF-1/2 is the generic part number). Let me just say it moves a lot more freely and smoothly now, and a lot more quietly. Aside from not hearing the screeching noise, I don't hear the "swooshing" noise. Can't say I have better cut quality though. It was already cutting good. But I'm sure it extends the life of the motors.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

My 4 x 4 Plasmacam is over 8 years old.....original bearings with no issues. Keep in mind when comparing the Plasmacam to a Dynatorch....you are comparing a $14k machine to a $25k plus machine (when you get equivalent software and options.) The Plasmacam is a great entry level type machine...Dynatorch I would classify as a light industrial grade machine. Linear bearings, heavier construction and larger servomotors cost more money.

They are both great machine designs. If you want to get really nice....start looking at industrial cnc plasma cutters from Messer, from AKS, from Retro Systems, and from Koike. They start at around $100k.....

Jim Colt Hypertherm
PlasmaMac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaMac »

Some of those industrial machine are pretty sweet until you have to deal with the software. Even on a messer (don't get me wrong, this a really well engineered machine amongst $100K+ systems) the software can be a fiasco for one off or custom stuff. Plasmacam's designedge on the other hand, especially for the average Joe, is a system that anyone can run and use effectively. For what most folks do, plasmacam is a darn good machine for the price. Unfortunately, the vast majority of systems (whether classified as hobby, light industrial....ect) can be cumbersome for most folks to use, even if they are considered "industrial'. Plasmacam definitely is an exception to this and probably does the best job that I have seen in terms of providing not only an affordable cutting solution for the small time fabricator, but also something that is actually easy enough for pretty much anyone to use. Their software is a big part of this. I have been to shops that have purchased these "industrial" plasma systems that no one knows how to run..basically making them useless (what good is a machine that no know how to run?) There have been times that I have actually exported files from plasmacam's designedge software to use on some of the expensive systems. Kind of funny....using software from a 10k machine to program an $100k machine!

- JAG
Scott Briggs
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Scott Briggs »

I have always been told to use a dry lubricant on the bearings and rolling surfaces on my Pcam. So that's what I have used, everyday to lubricate them. I would say 90% percent of the errors I get boils down to the machine not being clean enough. Well about 2 weeks ago in the middle of cutting a 100 sheets of 1/2" AR500 when I ran out off my Liquid Wrench Dry Lube. Couldn't find it anywhere!! The machine started giving me fits so I had to use some lithium lube which is not dry. I winched the entire time I was spraying it on and into the bearing the best I could. Its been about 2 weeks since, and the machine is running good and the dust build up is minimal.I'm not sure that I will continue to use the lithium, but I just might since it seems to last and makes the machine run smooth.

Scott
5X10 PlasmaCam
Hypertherm 45
Hypertherm 85
Miller 252
Miller 212
Lincoln 215
Lincoln 185 Tig
100 ton Break Press
http://www.scooterbiltmanufacturing.com

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”