Losing arc voltage and plasma cutting off

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
SomethingMetal
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Losing arc voltage and plasma cutting off

Post by SomethingMetal »

Just got my new samson 510 up and going. I am running a PM85 with a machine torch. I have it attached with a new snap n cut and when I run fine cut consumables I am losing arc voltage and shutting off. I had a DHC2 with a PM65 before this setup so I have a good idea on how to run it. I have checked the air pressure, new consumables, checked wiring and adjusted setting to its lowest voltage reading for cutting signal. What am I doing wrong? I cun run the regular 45amp consumables with no issue. Anybody have the solution? Thanks Justin
Samson 510
Hypertherm PM85
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Losing arc voltage and plasma cutting off

Post by SeanP »

Are you sure your pc is up to scratch?
I was having intermittent problems losing arc part way through a cut ever since I built the machine, 12 months on I got a cheap dell optiplex 745 small form (not the ultra small) off ebay for 45 euro delivered, cured my problem completely.
Even bought another for a spare.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
SomethingMetal
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by SomethingMetal »

It ran my 4x4 with no issues. Same software just larger table.
Samson 510
Hypertherm PM85
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

After it shuts off.....there will be an error code on the digital readout on the Powermax85. Let me know what that is and I can likely help. The Finecut parts are more touch in regards to having the correct pierce height, pierce delay and cut height. Also, make sure inlet air pressure never goes below 90 psi or above 135 psi.....you would need a gauge installed right at the inlet to measure this, and it needs to be read only while air id flowing at the torch. Make sure your cut air pressure is set in auto mode.

Make sure you are using the ohmic contact and auto calibrate the z axis to ensure pierce/cut heights are correct.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

SomethingMetal wrote:Just got my new samson 510 up and going. I am running a PM85 with a machine torch. I have it attached with a new snap n cut and when I run fine cut consumables I am losing arc voltage and shutting off. I had a DHC2 with a PM65 before this setup so I have a good idea on how to run it. I have checked the air pressure, new consumables, checked wiring and adjusted setting to its lowest voltage reading for cutting signal. What am I doing wrong? I cun run the regular 45amp consumables with no issue. Anybody have the solution? Thanks Justin
SomethingMetal
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by SomethingMetal »

Jim I have an air pressure regulator 3 foot before going into the plasma cutter. The other weird thing is that the plasma cutter isn't giving me an error code on the screen. I did read a post you had posted on here I believe about the normal operating air pressures. I have checked mine and I am holding a solid 110psi supply to the cutter. I tried several different test cuts using the same same and it would almost always cut out at the same location on every cut. So I thought maybe it was something with my cut path. Tried a couple more with the same issues. Any other suggestions? I guess I can try new consumables but these were new before the test cuts.
Samson 510
Hypertherm PM85
hbg
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by hbg »

SomethingMetal wrote:Jim I have an air pressure regulator 3 foot before going into the plasma cutter. The other weird thing is that the plasma cutter isn't giving me an error code on the screen. I did read a post you had posted on here I believe about the normal operating air pressures. I have checked mine and I am holding a solid 110psi supply to the cutter. I tried several different test cuts using the same same and it would almost always cut out at the same location on every cut. So I thought maybe it was something with my cut path. Tried a couple more with the same issues. Any other suggestions? I guess I can try new consumables but these were new before the test cuts.
Bring up this old thread, because having the exact same problem. Did you ever find the problem? My problem is mainly on 10g and thinner.
PlasmaMac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaMac »

Moisture in the air lines can also cause an error like this and other problems as well. Moisture in your airlines can be a big problem and Solving this will make a world of difference.

I would give Plasmacam tech support a call. They will certainly be a big help and save you some time. They have been very helpful in getting me up and going quickly. Plasmacams owners community has also been a great resource for information on things like this, especially after hours.

Good Luck,

JAG

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”