PlasmaCam settings - torch won't fire

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
HBGUERRERO
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

PlasmaCam settings - torch won't fire

Post by HBGUERRERO »

I was trying to help a guy to get his table running. We got it running but the torch wouldn't fire. Is there a setting or missing step to get the torch to fire? Also notice that there's no Height Control or Configurations tabs in the settings like I seen in some videos. How do you add in those setting tabs?
appreciate any info.

Samson 510
PlasmaCam
HP45XP/ Machine torch
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: settings question

Post by rdj357 »

If it just traced the paths and did not cut then make sure the ‘auto cut control’ is turned on under the machine menu or by pressing the Auto button on the controller to turn the light on.

Those tabs come with software upgrades. Height Control is $998 for basic and another $998 to get to advanced. The configurations tab is one feature of the advanced machine control upgrade which is, as before, $998.

It is always my recommendation for Design Edge users to spend the $4000 in upgrades to get the best working table. Advanced Design, Height Control, and Machine Control.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

If you are using a hand torch on your table, make sure the trigger is held completely closed with a cable tie. I know it says you have a 510 with machine torch, but I assume the guy you are helping has a different table than the one you have. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It seems like the same thing happened to me in the past when I first got my DHC2. I had purchased one of Keith Fenner's break-away torch mounts and the torch trigger wrap he supplied wasn't putting enough pressure on the trigger to keep it completely closed. I fixed it by adding a cable tie.

David
hbg
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by hbg »

Yes, don’t think I seen the auto cut control. Will need to go back to try it.
rdj357 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:57 pm If it just traced the paths and did not cut then make sure the ‘auto cut control’ is turned on under the machine menu or by pressing the Auto button on the controller to turn the light on.

Those tabs come with software upgrades. Height Control is $998 for basic and another $998 to get to advanced. The configurations tab is one feature of the advanced machine control upgrade which is, as before, $998.

It is always my recommendation for Design Edge users to spend the $4000 in upgrades to get the best working table. Advanced Design, Height Control, and Machine Control.
hbg
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by hbg »

He has a machine torch. Yes I have ez router table which uses sheetcam and Mach 3. Totally different machines, but thought maybe I can get him running.
adbuch wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:40 pm If you are using a hand torch on your table, make sure the trigger is held completely closed with a cable tie. I know it says you have a 510 with machine torch, but I assume the guy you are helping has a different table than the one you have. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It seems like the same thing happened to me in the past when I first got my DHC2. I had purchased one of Keith Fenner's break-away torch mounts and the torch trigger wrap he supplied wasn't putting enough pressure on the trigger to keep it completely closed. I fixed it by adding a cable tie.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

hbg wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:09 pm Yes, don’t think I seen the auto cut control. Will need to go back to try it.

auto cut control.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Let me know if you have issues getting the machine torch to fire. If it's a new machine and he's just hooked it up, it is important to use the correct setup - the cord that came from Plasmacam is for a hand torch and will not fire the machine torch without some modification or better, using a different method.
hbg
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by hbg »

Yes we did turn that on. The torch did trace the pattern but doesn’t fire. Maybe not wired correctly.
adbuch wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:03 am
hbg wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:09 pm Yes, don’t think I seen the auto cut control. Will need to go back to try it.

auto cut control.jpg
hbg
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by hbg »

Yea it’s a new machine, he’s just hooked it up and installed software from cd. Don’t think he changed any of the factory settings. Where do you get the correct settings? He had an electrician wire up the plasma cord from the instructions in the manual. So don’t know if that’s the correct way. Would the machine torch wire instructions be in the manual?
rdj357 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:18 am Let me know if you have issues getting the machine torch to fire. If it's a new machine and he's just hooked it up, it is important to use the correct setup - the cord that came from Plasmacam is for a hand torch and will not fire the machine torch without some modification or better, using a different method.
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

hbg wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:18 pm Yea it’s a new machine, he’s just hooked it up and installed software from cd. Don’t think he changed any of the factory settings. Where do you get the correct settings? He had an electrician wire up the plasma cord from the instructions in the manual. So don’t know if that’s the correct way. Would the machine torch wire instructions be in the manual?
rdj357 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:18 am Let me know if you have issues getting the machine torch to fire. If it's a new machine and he's just hooked it up, it is important to use the correct setup - the cord that came from Plasmacam is for a hand torch and will not fire the machine torch without some modification or better, using a different method.
If he's using a machine torch then the PlasmaCAM cable will not fire it. The easiest way is to install a CPC voltage divider kit (Part# 428653) in the 45XP (assuming he didn't get one with that already installed or already do so). Then use an interface cable made for the PlasmaCAM to connect the CPC port of the Hypertherm to the controller of the PlasmaCAM. I have these cables if that's the direction he wants to go (link in my signature).

If he's already done the work to get the machine torch to fire then it may be the auto cut control not turned on.
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

A good first step is to get it to fire using the Machine diagnostics trigger checkbox or at least the test button on the controller. If it won't fire there then it is not going to fire on a cut path.
HBGUERRERO
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by HBGUERRERO »

rdj357 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:33 pm
hbg wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:18 pm Yea it’s a new machine, he’s just hooked it up and installed software from cd. Don’t think he changed any of the factory settings. Where do you get the correct settings? He had an electrician wire up the plasma cord from the instructions in the manual. So don’t know if that’s the correct way. Would the machine torch wire instructions be in the manual?
If he's using a machine torch then the PlasmaCAM cable will not fire it. The easiest way is to install a CPC voltage divider kit (Part# 428653) in the 45XP (assuming he didn't get one with that already installed or already do so). Then use an interface cable made for the PlasmaCAM to connect the CPC port of the Hypertherm to the controller of the PlasmaCAM. I have these cables if that's the direction he wants to go (link in my signature).

If he's already done the work to get the machine torch to fire then it may be the auto cut control not turned on.
If not mistaking I think he has the cable hooked up the standard 45xp round cpc plug. I didtn't see that rectangle plug Part#428653.
rdj357

Re: PlasmaCam settings - torch won't fire

Post by rdj357 »

If he has a cable that he purchased from me or P&J then it should fire the machine torch. If he's wired it himself it might be time to make sure it was done correctly.

The #428653 is the kit that adds the round CPC plug but if what you're saying is correct, then he already has that.
HBGUERRERO
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by HBGUERRERO »

update: We got it to fire. We swapped out the machine torch with a hand torch and it fired as it should. So its wired for a hand torch.
thanks for the help.
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

OK..... Hope he has it likes he wants it. As I explained, the machine torch will work great but has to be installed correctly. The machine torch (on a magnetic breakaway mount) is one of the best upgrades I've ever done to the table.

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”