4' x 4' PlasmaCAM Value

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
Powerstrokinit
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

4' x 4' PlasmaCAM Value

Post by Powerstrokinit »

Been looking for a good used plasma table for a while. Found a 4' x 4' PlasmaCAM with Hypertherm 45 for $8500. I really like the servo motors on the PlasmaCAM tables.

What is this thing worth?
What do I need to look for?

Thanks
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: 4' x 4' PlasmaCAM Value

Post by adbuch »

Is this a DHC2 or DHC? What software - Design Edge or 3.11? If Design Edge, what upgrades (if any)? The three big ones are Advanced Design, Advanced Machine Control, and Advanced Height Control. It that a 45 or 45xp? If you can provide more information and some photos this would really help with an evaluation.
David
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Check the installation software comes with the machine. Example is the machine is using the old 3.1 software and you don't get the installation disk/files too, then if your PC ever stuffs up, you are stuffed too. I'm always gobsmacked at how many table owners treat the all important installation software as something irrelevant, and not only do not back it up, but also lose the disk. I've seen some tables sold without software then the buyer has a dead table.

Many will argue with me but I find Plasmacam as a company find whatever way to get money out of customers. They could simply have a link where customers that have lost there disk could download the old 3.1 ISO so they could burn it to disk, but instead they force them to buy later generation software at a significant cost. If you ask hard enough you'll probably find someone has an old 3.1 disk and can help you out.

Putting that aside many like the user friendliness of the tables.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Yes - I agree with Keith. You will definitely want to make sure that this table comes in working condition with the computer and software. If an older DHC with 3.11, then there will/should be an installation disk with the machine. Plasmacam no longer supports 3.11 and does not supply any of the older software. There are some on this forum and elsewhere who probably will be able to provide you a backup copy of the 3.11 disk.

If the table is a DHC2 with Design Edge, you can buy this table with basic Design Edge software brand new from Plasmacam for about $7995. The Hypertherm 45 is an older plasma cutter. The current model is the 45xp which uses the Duramax Torch and allows the use of the Hypertherm FineCut consumables- which is a great advantage when cutting thin material or intricate shapes from material 10 ga. and thinner. The 45xp also has a feature for marking (engraving) which some fine useful.

In any case, be sure the seller fills out a "Transfer of Ownership" form which you will need to submit to Plasmacam so you will be able to buy spare parts (DHC and DHC2) and will have access to the Plasmacam Technical Support for DHC2 running the current Design Edge software. I have attached a copy of the Plasmacam Transfer of Ownership Form.

David
Plasmacam transfer of ownership form.pdf

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Powerstrokinit
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Powerstrokinit »

It is a DCH2 with advanced height control, advanced machine control and design edge (all from the ad)

The version of design edge is 4.13 (he thinks)

It comes with a Hypertherm 45XP

I have a Hypertherm 65, so I don't need a table with the plasma as I could just use mine.

I didn't realize a brand new table is $8k.
tinspark
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tinspark »

Powerstrokinit wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:18 am It is a DCH2 with advanced height control, advanced machine control and design edge (all from the ad)

I have a Hypertherm 65, so I don't need a table with the plasma as I could just use mine.

The BAsice DHC2 table comes off the shelf with basic height and machine control. and software is 8K plus. Advanced height is ab extra 1k and machine control is another 1k. It also comes standard with designedge software. if they purchased it with advanced design edge it is another 1k. If it has all 3 teh table likely cost the original owner closer to 12k+.. Advanced DE is a nice feature and worth every penny, imo..
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Powerstrokinit wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:18 am It is a DCH2 with advanced height control, advanced machine control and design edge (all from the ad)

I'm pretty sure that those upgrades to Design Edge cost $998 each. So that puts the cost to purchase new from Plasmacam around 10K.
Once you complete the Transfer of Ownership form, you can upgrade to the current version of Design Edge (4.53) at no cost.
The 45xp new is around $2500. I assume that the PC and monitor are included. So I think that the $8500 asking price is fair for what you would be getting. Depending on how motivated the seller is, perhaps you could buy the whole package for around $7000 or so.
David
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

The very FIRST thing you need to do, is to get the table serial number and call PlasmaCam, to make sure there is no money OWED on the table. PlasmaCam should go after the original purchaser for the balance owed, even if the table is sold to someone else, but they have already proven that they WILL go after the second owner for money owed on the table.

Extra seats are not transferrable to the second owner. Any software upgrades purchased for the original license SHOULD be transferred to you at no charge. If the pipe cutting attachment was sold with the table, it MUST go with the table.

You need the original install disk if it was running "PlasmaCAM 3.11" software. If it was running any version of "DesignEDGE" you can do the Transfer of Ownership form putting the table into your name, and then download the latest version (4.53) from The Owners Community Forum.

Getting the table into your name requires the signature of the SELLER and the BUYER on the same form, with all of the i's dotted and the t's crossed. Hopefully this is all that will be required to receive the blessing of the PlasmaCam gods. Make copies of EVERYTHING you send to PlasmaCam, as they have been known to "lose" original documents, and then you are Indiana Jones, trying to replace the golden goblet with a bag of sand, without setting off the booby traps. :HaHa

The seller should also give you the PRODUCT CODE for your software license. He is supposed to DELETE the software from his computer when he sells the table, but so many people attempt to keep the software and only give you the DVD with the software on it IF you get that. DesignEdge "phones home" so PlasmaCam will know if he has kept the software on his PC. If he has, it will cause trouble for YOU. If their computer "sees" a working license 'out there' and you try to set up the software on YOUR PC, you will get an error message saying, "This license is already in use." Then you will have to clear that up bEFORE PlasmaCam will let you run your software license on YOUR PC.

Finally, I offer free online training on the software. Assuming you have successfully found the Arc and stored it safely among 'Top People', you will want to know how to use the software to your best advantage. I charge for one-on-one in-home training, but online training is done at no charge.

As to your original question ... what is the table worth? Well ... the condition of the table, the rails, the grates, and the cam followers, along with the software and any upgrades added to the BASIC software license all come into play to set the value. $8,500.00 ??? Not unreasonable for a gently used DHC2 table, but a bit pricey for one that has built the Eiffel Tower and the London Bridge, or one that is the older DHC model or the ancient 98Z model.

The BIG question is, ... the controller box. It MUST work, as a new one is $3,000.00 and repairing one is $500.00 IF PlasmaCam can or will repair it.

It would be best to have a PlasmaCam table owner go with you to get the machine, and run it through its paces before you plunk down $8,500.00. That, or have the seller demonstrate it as a WORKING table. Any table that is inoperative or disassembled at the time of sale is a real gamble, mainly because of that controller box issue. If you take it home and the box doesn't work, the seller will say, "It worked when I sold it to you!" People HAVE sold these tables disassembled after blowing the controller box, leaving the buyer holding the bag. :Sad

Joe
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Is this the 4x4 on eBay now in Chatsworth, CA. for $8,500.00 ?? If it is, John Derby lives VERY close to the seller. He could assess the table for you, for a price. It really might be worth paying him a couple hundred bucks to go check it out BEFORE you buy it.

This table (above) also sports the shorty machine torch and the Snap-n-Cut magnetic mount, which adds about $700.00 to the value. :Yay

Joe

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”