hypertherm pm45 (non-xp) w/ plug n plag machine torch

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
mflux_gamblej
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

hypertherm pm45 (non-xp) w/ plug n plag machine torch

Post by mflux_gamblej »

here's a wiring diagram for setting up your old 45 to run a plug in play style cable with plasmacam. it is for reference only use at your own risk. should be able then to use the machine torch thru the cpc connector, and then switch to a hand torch seamlessly just by plugging in your hand torch.
pm45 to machine torch using pnp cablev2.PNG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

cuttinparts
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: hypertherm pm45 (non-xp) w/ plug n plag machine torch

Post by cuttinparts »

Pretty slick. thanks for the info. Would like to give a try, I am always switching from hand to machine and its a pain!
mflux_gamblej
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: hypertherm pm45 (non-xp) w/ plug n plag machine torch

Post by mflux_gamblej »

I installed this wiring and it works fine.

the 'risks' are of course regarding either incorrect wiring, or damaging your machine(s) in some other manner during the modifcation. One thing I was interested in was if you need to use some kind of big 'power resistor'. I cannot say for sure, but the resistors in the pcam cable appear to be the ubiquitous 1/4 watt resistors that you see everywhere. There are a lot of other resistors out there that can handle a lot more wattage. If you built your own, maybe get a 1/2 or 1 watt rated just to be safe. For me, i just cut the pcam cable and used it figuring that it ran just fine so why bother changing it out for new resistors.

now I can just plug in my hand torch and zap the scrap frames left from making stuff on the cnc table to make it way easier to handle.

was debating getting a new 45xp or 65, but right now with the way things are in the world (june 2020, if you're reading this years later you'll know what i mean anyway) tossing $3k at something that can be done with a little soldering seems too much a convenience.

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”