Owners Community Forum is Down

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
Joe Jones

Owners Community Forum is Down

Post by Joe Jones » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:42 am

So I logged onto the Owners Community yesterday. I didn't want to, but I was forced to because the time bomb built into my version 4.48 of DesignEdge went off.

Apparently the forums are all down at the moment. BUT, I could still download the latest and greatest version of DesignEdge. It would allow me to to THAT.

When the red bar appears on the opening splash screen of DesignEdge telling you that you need to update your software, you have (n) number of times you can open DesignEdge before you shut it down normally one day and, oh gosh, oh golly jeepers! ... your SETTINGS file is suddenly corrupt and you have NO CHOICE but to update your software to the latest version, LIKE IT OR NOT.

This has happened to me TOO MANY TIMES for it to be an "oopsie!" coincidence.

IF DesignEdge would allow me to REINSTALL the same version and not make any changes, I would not be bothered by something happening to the SETTINGS file. I could reinstall the SAME version 4.48 and continue as normal. I could CHOOSE whether or not I will update my software to the latest version. NO CHANCE with PlasmaCam. Evidently, you either update your software to the newest version, or you stop using your machine.

I have sold three of my (formerly FIVE) PlasmaCam machines, two brand new GoTorch machines and one of my Samson 510 tables. At the beginning of this summer, I was completely FED UP with the company, and I did what I could to divest myself of it. Then the summer motorcycle tour put the other two table sales on hold until I returned.

Well, I have returned now, and I was considering once again trying to Make Money In Metal Art! but now THREE of my seats for my 510 table have suddenly had this same 'coinky-dink' corrupt settings file error on three different computers. You don't have to be Sherlock Holes to conclude that this is no accident.

It is like Star Trek and THE BORG. "You will be assimilated! Resistance is futile!"

I WAS considering returning to my former idea of setting up a Bed-and-Breakfast School here at my home, to teach people how to get the most out of these machines and this software, but PlasmaCam just keeps giving me reasons to WALK AWAY.

Tomorrow I leave for FabTech 2019 in Chicago. It is the HUGE tech show at The McCormick Place. I will spend three days there looking at laser tables, CNC router tables, and 3D rapid prototyping machines, as well as 3D handheld scanners, and other things. If I see ANYTHING interesting, I will buy it, and my other two PlasmaCam tables (the 4x4 with the rail lift system, and the 510 with the Full Monty of software upgrades) will be put up FOR SALE on eBay to help pay for the new machine(s). My friend in Texas is ALSO selling his 510 table now. I expect I might see many more of them going up FOR SALE in the near future.

I DO like the DesignEdge software, and I even like using the DHC2 and the 510 tables, even with their quirks, ESPECIALLY when I use them as router tables, but I will not be OWNED AND CONTROLLED by a company that makes the products that I purchase.

Joe Jones

Re: Owners Community Forum is Down

Post by Joe Jones » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:08 pm

The OC is still down. 11-22-19

metalfixer

Post by metalfixer » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:50 pm

Hi Joe,
Hope you are having a great Thanksgiving. I don't know much about PlasmaCAM, but do you have
to be online to run your machine?
How do they control your machine?
Thanks,
Larry

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:03 pm

No, you do not need to be online to run the machine (yet.)

The plasmacam is controlled by a PC with DesignEdge software installed onto it.

rdj357
Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:20 am

They don't control your machine. The Owner's forum is just fine and the downtime has been very minimal. There are certainly still a few glitches with file sharing but the posting issues have been resolved for weeks.
Robert Johnson
----- PlasmaCam 5x10 Table -----
FourNinety Creations & Learn PC, LLC

Learn Plasmacam Website
Learn Plasmacam on Facebook
Learn Plasmacam on YouTube

metalfixer

Post by metalfixer » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:38 pm

Sorry, I still don't understand. If you don't have to be online to run your machine, and are satisfied with
the version you have, how can you be required to update your software, or the machine stops working?
Larry

rdj357

Post by rdj357 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:27 pm

metalfixer wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:38 pm
Sorry, I still don't understand. If you don't have to be online to run your machine, and are satisfied with
the version you have, how can you be required to update your software, or the machine stops working?
Larry
I've not experienced any errors or prompting that required any such update. If you call for technical support, they will require you to be using the most current version to assist you . It makes perfect sense for them to do so since bugs or issues might have been corrected in an update(free) so why troubleshoot something that may have already been resolved?
Robert Johnson
----- PlasmaCam 5x10 Table -----
FourNinety Creations & Learn PC, LLC

Learn Plasmacam Website
Learn Plasmacam on Facebook
Learn Plasmacam on YouTube

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:34 pm

metalfixer wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:38 pm
Larry
I have nine Full Monty seats of DesignEdge on one of my Samson 510 CNC tables, and one seat with fewer upgrades on my other 4x4 DHC2 machine.

Now ... some people will tell you they have no issues with the software, but they are only telling you part of the story. They most likely willingly update their license to the latest and greatest version, and of course, when you comply with the software's notice to update your software, there ARE no problems.

However, if you decide to stay with an earlier version, and that red warning pops up on the opening splash screen, you will have the ability to ignore it ... for a while. DesignEdge will open and function normally. Then, one day when you open the program, you will get the warning that "Oops! Ut-Oh! Your settings file is corrupted, and the software will no longer work. The ONLY way to get DesignEdge working on your PC again is to download the latest update and run it. In other words, if you are completely comfortable running version 4.32 (.33, .34, 36, .37, .38, .39, .40, .41, .42, .43, .44 etc. etc.) and it FAILS, you CANNOT reload that version and continue to use it. you have NO OPTION but to update to the latest version if you want to continue to use your PlasmaCam, Samson or GoTorch machine.

This sudden "oopsie!" corruption of the settings file has happened on SEVERAL of my seats. First, the red bar. Then several openings of designEdge, then the error message appears.

I can understand one computer experiencing a hiccup, but seat after seat on completely different PCs seems to shut down without warning, and there is no other option but to update to the current version (currently 5.52, I believe)

Do I have "proof" of a time bomb built into the software? NOPE! I have not decompiled the software, per the agreement I signed when I purchased the license and the additional seats. I just cringe every time I start up DesignEdge on a PC, because I NEVER KNOW whether the software is going to work or not.

Add to this, the blood pressure raising aggravation of seeing the "Buy Additional Seats" error message. I have a legitimate seat on a PC. It stops working for (insert any of two dozen random reasons here) and I CANNOT reinstall and reactivate the software on THAT PC until I call PlasmaCam and kiss the DON's ring. PlasmaCam wonders why I have NINE SEATS. This is the reason. When one of the PCs f*cks up, I can use another PC to run table or the software until they answer their phone, and check to see if I am trying to do something dastardly, and then finally and begrudgingly reset the seat a day or so later.

I LIKE the software. I LIKE the tables. I even LIKE the owner and his family! I just wish they would bring their licensing, and upgrade purchase and activation, and seat(s) addition, and software reset methods into the 21st Century!

Joe

Return to “PlasmaCam”

Easyscriber engrave attachment for Hypertherm plasma cutters.