Powermax 105 cnc wiring same as 85?

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
fredfox
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Powermax 105 cnc wiring same as 85?

Post by fredfox »

Is the powermax 105 hooked up the same as the 85?
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: powermax 105 wiring

Post by jimcolt »

I am not sure exactly what you mean. The 105 is a 3 phase only machine, so it cannot connect to single phase power as the Powermax85 and 65 can.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

fredfox wrote:Is the powermax 105 hooked up the same as the 85?
fredfox
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by fredfox »

Let me clarify myself,
I am trying to set up a new 105 to work with my plasma cam table, I need to hook up the wires inside the plasma cutter, the trigger wire, I assume is still the purple wire and the black and red look the same also inside the 105 as compared to a powermax 85.
Plasma cam was no help. I was hopeing someone here can help.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

If you are replacing an 85 with the 105...then your wiring will be the same. Is this a hand torch or a machine torch version? (wiring is easier with machine torch...and different)

Jim Colt

fredfox wrote:Let me clarify myself,
I am trying to set up a new 105 to work with my plasma cam table, I need to hook up the wires inside the plasma cutter, the trigger wire, I assume is still the purple wire and the black and red look the same also inside the 105 as compared to a powermax 85.
Plasma cam was no help. I was hopeing someone here can help.
fredfox
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by fredfox »

Replacing an 85 with a 105, machine torch. Correction on the trigger, with the machine torch it is #3 and #4 on the connector.
Also, should I do anything with the voltage divider switches? It is on factory settings of 50:1?
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Are you using the interconnecting cable supplied by PlasmaCam? if so, the white / black pair connect to pins 3 and 4 on the rear panel CPC connector. They are not polarity dependant. The red/black pair connect to the main circuit board inside the power supply to terminals J28 and J26. The Red wire connects to J28, the black to J26. If you are using the PlasmaCam cable....the voltage divider output is not used...so it does not matter what it is set at.

If you want to make all 4 connections at the CPC connector...I can tell you how to modify the PlasmaCam cable and make the connections....it will require cutting the red/black pair back (to eliminate the built in voltage divider resistors) and you will also have to reset the internal voltage divider to the 21.1:1 setting.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

fredfox wrote:Replacing an 85 with a 105, machine torch. Correction on the trigger, with the machine torch it is #3 and #4 on the connector.
Also, should I do anything with the voltage divider switches? It is on factory settings of 50:1?
Realstevesmith2
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Realstevesmith2 »

Jim, I know this post is 10 years old but I see you are still active. I'm performing the tasks in this thread but my torch wont fire from a signal from my plasma cam. I have upgraded my plasmacam table with a Hypertherm 105 power unit and a machine torch. I'm attempting to use the machine interface cable (hypertherm p/n 228350) instead of modifying anything inside the power unit with the exception of the voltage divider. I changed it to 21.1 : 1 like you mentioned. I wired the other end of the machine interface cable to plasmacam cable.
to recap...
- I removed the voltage divider resisters on the stock plasmacam cable and hooked the red and black wires on the plasma cam cable to the black and white wires on the hypertherm cable (they correlate with pin 5 & 6). black to black and red to white.
- I have hooked the black and white wires on the plasma cam cable to the black and green wires on the hypertherm cable (they correlate with pin 3&4). I did not worry about polarity.
- when I start my machine, it will not strike an arc. I can remove the white and black wires from the green and black wires and touch the hypertherm green and black wires together to strike an arc "manually".
- I ohmed the plasmacam wire out back to the plasmacam plug end and I get continuity between them so I know I don't have a broken wire on the plasmacam wire.
- when I press start on the plasmacam and hold my meter between the white and black wire on the plasma cam cable, i dont get continuity nor voltage in ac or dc. I was expecting to get continuity. If I got voltage, I was gonna install a relay.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

You are attempting to do it the hard way. Assuming your Hypertherm 105 has the cpc port, then I would recommend you purchase this cable from Robert Johnson. This will be "Plug & Play". The stock Plasmacam torch control cable is for hand torch only, and not machine torch. If you don't have the cpc port, then you can purchase the cpc upgrade kit.
David

https://www.490creations.com/products/c ... face-cable
cpc-plasmacam  interface cable.jpg
Realstevesmith2
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Wish I had seen that cable sooner but unfortunately, the source you provided does not have the 24' cable in stock. 12' is slightly too short for me.
Realstevesmith2
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

adbuch wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:02 pm You are attempting to do it the hard way. Assuming your Hypertherm 105 has the cpc port, then I would recommend you purchase this cable from Robert Johnson. This will be "Plug & Play". The stock Plasmacam torch control cable is for hand torch only, and not machine torch. If you don't have the cpc port, then you can purchase the cpc upgrade kit.
David

cpc-plasmacam interface cable.jpg
I was able to call them and they had 1. I'm having it overnighted and will try it out. Hopefully I didn't damage anything with the wiring I put in place??
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Realstevesmith2 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:59 pm
adbuch wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:02 pm You are attempting to do it the hard way. Assuming your Hypertherm 105 has the cpc port, then I would recommend you purchase this cable from Robert Johnson. This will be "Plug & Play". The stock Plasmacam torch control cable is for hand torch only, and not machine torch. If you don't have the cpc port, then you can purchase the cpc upgrade kit.
David

I was able to call them and they had 1. I'm having it overnighted and will try it out. Hopefully I didn't damage anything with the wiring I put in place??
That's great news! Assuming you have the cpc port (which I assume you do since you were talking about setting the resistance values) this should work great. Let us know how it turns out.
David
Realstevesmith2
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

adbuch wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:37 pm
Realstevesmith2 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:59 pm
David

That's great news! Assuming you have the cpc port (which I assume you do since you were talking about setting the resistance values) this should work great. Let us know how it turns out.
David
The cable Arrived and I am up and going. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

You are quite welcome! Happy to help.
David
tws869
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by tws869 »

It is a bummer that there isnt an available extension for this - I believe we have the Plasmacam D-203 wiring kit and it is about 12', but we have 50' lead on the Hypertherm 1650.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

tws869 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:48 am It is a bummer that there isnt an available extension for this - I believe we have the Plasmacam D-203 wiring kit and it is about 12', but we have 50' lead on the Hypertherm 1650.
Most Plasmacam users (such as myself) don't have need for a torch control cable longer than the one provided by Plasmacam. The torch lead on my Hypertherm powermax 85 is 25 ft. long, and my cutter sites right next to the table. If you need to lengthen your torch control cable, then this would simply be a matter of splicing in a longer section of cable.
David

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”