Duramax lock torch with older PM45?

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Circuit Pro
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Duramax lock torch with older PM45?

Post by Circuit Pro »

There is a 088167 Duramax Lock machine torch for sale local to me. Hypertherm website states that it will not fit the older Powermax 45 units. Anyone know why? A 45xp hand torch will fit mine, so I’m curious why the Duramax torch wouldn’t fit. Could it be whatever the “lock” feature is?
Thanks!
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Duramax lock torch with older PM45?

Post by djreiswig »

According to the schematics, I believe the pinout is the same. The lock feature interrupts the power signal for the start and cap switch. The only issue I see with this on a power supply not designed for it would be that if you remove the consumables when power is on it causes a fault in the power supply that needs a power cycle to reset. If you flipped the lock switch it would also trigger the error. I don't see why the torch wouldn't function the same as a non lock torch if you left the lock switch on. I don't have either of these units, so take the info for what it's worth.
45xp
45xp
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Circuit Pro wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:34 pm There is a 088167 Duramax Lock machine torch for sale local to me. Hypertherm website states that it will not fit the older Powermax 45 units. Anyone know why? A 45xp hand torch will fit mine, so I’m curious why the Duramax torch wouldn’t fit. Could it be whatever the “lock” feature is?
Thanks!
The Powermax 45 will not accept the Duramax torch as used with the 45xp, 65, 85, etc. Perhaps you could rig something up with the wiring to make it work.

David
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

adbuch wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:50 am
Circuit Pro wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:34 pm There is a 088167 Duramax Lock machine torch for sale local to me. Hypertherm website states that it will not fit the older Powermax 45 units. Anyone know why? A 45xp hand torch will fit mine, so I’m curious why the Duramax torch wouldn’t fit. Could it be whatever the “lock” feature is?
Thanks!
The Powermax 45 will not accept the Duramax torch as used with the 45xp, 65, 85, etc. Perhaps you could rig something up with the wiring to make it work.

David
What is the difference in the wiring? I'm not seeing it in the schematics.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I didn't look at the wiring, but I'm pretty sure that the torch from the powermax 45 will not plug into the socket on a 45xp, or visa versa. I think that Hypertherm does make a Duramax torch to fit the powermax 45, but the end where it plugs into the machine is different to accommodate the 45.
David
Circuit Pro
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Circuit Pro »

Thanks for the input guys! I might see if the seller will let me bring my power source and try it out to see if it fits/ works or not. If so, I will update.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Here is a post about me buying a Duramax machine torch from Hypertherm for my old PM 45
https://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=34205
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

adbuch wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:50 am
Thanks!

David
David,

This is not correct. I have many students who have switched from the T45 torch to the Duramax torch with their Powermax 45 units. I recommend the mini-machine torch for Plasmacam owners who don't need the full length torch (059482). The machine torch must be fired with the CPC pins 3 & 4 of course. The Duramax torches plug right in and work great.

The Powermax 45 came with the CPC connector with a fixed 50:1 divided arc voltage output. For that reason, I make a kit to convert it to 21.1:1 for Plasmacam owners to use a Duramax torch and CPC interface cable with their older Powermax units. Then if something happens to the old 45, they can upgrade to a 45XP very easily without the need to buy a new torch or CPC interface cable.

I guess I should also add that I don't see why the lock torch wouldn't work but have no personal knowledge of that combination. I preferred the regular torches because, at the time, users could have upgraded to a 65, 85, or 105 without changing torches while the lock torch only worked with the 45xp. Now with the SYNC models, that convenience has evaporated.
Circuit Pro
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Circuit Pro »

Thanks for the info!! I have a Langmuir Crossfire Pro with THC and am currently using raw voltage. Not sure how that will affect this equation.
Circuit Pro
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Circuit Pro »

If the Duramax lock torch won’t fit the PM 65/85 then I will pass on the deal because I plan to upgrade to a 65 or 85 in the future.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Robert - I stand corrected. What I should have said is:

"I do not believe the Powermax 45 will not accept the Duramax torch as used with the 45xp, 65, 85, etc. Perhaps you could rig something up with the wiring to make it work."

I believe I have seen that Hypertherm makes Duramax torches to retrofit some of the older machines, and I assumed that was the case with the 45.

David

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”