Hypertherm 85 amp cutting at an angle

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Scarymonkeyman
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Hypertherm 85 amp cutting at an angle

Post by Scarymonkeyman »

so we are cutting through some 1/2 416SS and recently it started cutting crooked as shown in the picture. Tried swapping out the electrode, nozzle and shield and no difference. bumped the feedrate override to 80% then 120% no change. 85amp 132volts feedrate at 15. as its running actual volts are 140-143
20220927_094940.jpg
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hypertherm 85 amp cutting at an angle

Post by weldguy »

First thing I would do is psychically check your cutting height with feeler gauges. During a long straight section pause the machine and measure the height, should be .060, you may be too high.

Also your feed rate is around half of what it should be, I would expect to see you in the 30ipm range, have you slowed it down because it won't cut through at higher speeds?

Another biggie is clean dry air. You can swap the consumables for new ones but could damage the new ones the moment the arc fires if there is moisture or compressor oil in the lines. If you see black/grey swirling stains around the electrode shaft and inside the nozzle this is a sure sign of air contamination.

Post back with your measured cut height and cleanliness of consumables that have some decent run time on them.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

You could have an "O" ring leaking there are 2 in the torch, one you can see when you remove the retaining cap and the other is in the swirl ring.
Position the torch over the water about pierce height and do a very short manual trigger (plasma on). Look at how the water is pushed it should look equal around the air stream. If it blows off to one side you have a leak. Try different heights too, it may need to be higher for you to see it better.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Great tips Tom :Like :Like Blowing the water to one side could also be a nozzle with the hole out of round from use. Use new consumables for this water test to be sure the air is being controlled as it was intended to be.
Scarymonkeyman
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Scarymonkeyman »

acourtjester wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:10 pm You could have an "O" ring leaking there are 2 in the torch, one you can see when you remove the retaining cap and the other is in the swirl ring.
Position the torch over the water about pierce height and do a very short manual trigger (plasma on). Look at how the water is pushed it should look equal around the air stream. If it blows off to one side you have a leak. Try different heights too, it may need to be higher for you to see it better.
so got all new (name brand this time) nozzle, retaining cap, electrode, swirl ring, and shield and i noticed the o ring you were talking about by the retaining cap (none by the swirl ring) was looking mint, so after swapping out those parts it seems to be cutting better now but I'm only 6 cuts in so we shall see how it does
20221007_011652.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I assume that photo is your old damaged O-ring from the retaining cap?
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

there is a Silicone Lubricant you can get to put on the "O" ring to help with the ware problem. I bought the stuff from Hypertherm but if you use the search function here, other member buy from another supplier.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Glad you had some success, hope it continues, let us know.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

Dielectric grease from the auto parts store is silicone grease. That's what I use.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”