Stainless Steel with Powermax 45XP

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
SmokyMtnRed
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Stainless Steel with Powermax 45XP

Post by SmokyMtnRed »

I cut 14ga 304 SS with my Powermax 45XP on recommended settings this past weekend, but certain areas just did not cut all the way through. I assume I could try cutting it slower, but I do not want to waste too much of this sheet. Is a 45XP good enough for SS?
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Stainless Steel with Powermax 45XP

Post by SeanP »

If you are not using finecut you should be, they cut a lot better on less than 3mm than standard 45a

Book is .5mm for stainless, I find it a bit close especially if you have small holes.
2mm SS.png
2mm SS.png (21.91 KiB) Viewed 558 times
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
SmokyMtnRed
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by SmokyMtnRed »

It was a fine tip cutting 280ipm
Screenshot 2022-06-20 104907.jpg
SmokyMtnRed
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by SmokyMtnRed »

Oops shared the wrong image, but it is the same per the manual for SS, at 280ipm
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Had a look at the 45XP cut charts, you said you were using Finecut tips so the correct cut speed would be 200ipm rather then 280ipm. This will be your problem, see chart below. Also note the torch to work distance is much closer, .020" rather than .060". And yes, your 45XP will do a fantastic job with 14g stainless :Like
45xp_stainless.PNG
45xp_stainless.PNG (90.53 KiB) Viewed 552 times
SmokyMtnRed
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by SmokyMtnRed »

Well, maybe I am calling the wrong tip "Finecut"
SmokyMtnRed
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by SmokyMtnRed »

I did, I was wrong when thinking this was the fine tip...
Screenshot 2022-06-23 145106.jpg
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

SmokyMtnRed wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:15 am I cut 14ga 304 SS with my Powermax 45XP on recommended settings this past weekend, but certain areas just did not cut all the way through. I assume I could try cutting it slower, but I do not want to waste too much of this sheet. Is a 45XP good enough for SS?
If it's not cutting all the way thru the material, then you may have your cut height set too high, are cutting too fast, have improper current setting, or have poor work lead connection to your material. FineCuts will provide a narrower kerf width, less heat into the part, but will not correct for incorrect settings. Your 45xp manual has mechanized cut charts for stainless steel. I recommend that you use those settings making sure that your consumables are in good condition, you have sufficient air supply - both pressure while cutting and moisture/oil free. It would be helpful if you would post some photos of your incomplete cuts.
David
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

SmokyMtnRed wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:46 pm Well, maybe I am calling the wrong tip "Finecut"
Ah 10-4, yes that is not a FineCut. It could be that your machines speed is not quite accurate and could be travelling faster than 280ipm despite being set for 280ipm. I am not sure what table you have. Regardless the cut charts are not gospel but are fantastic starting points which typically deliver great success. If your cut height is correct (0.060" and can be measured with feeler gauges if you pause the machine a straight section of your cut) then you likely just need to slow it down. Try 270ipm and go slower if needed but once you find the speed that cuts well check your cut height again with the feeler gauges and adjust that if needed for the new speed. Would be interested to hear of your results.
SmokyMtnRed
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by SmokyMtnRed »

Hopefully, I will add Torch Height Control this weekend once all the parts come in, which should help a lot. I retrofitted an old table with an open-source controller. The table initially did not have THC; it only had the three-ball rolling setup. The THC I am going with is also an open-source solution. I hope it goes as well as the other controller did.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Sounds good but you definitely want to get it cutting well without the THC first since getting THC's running well can be a task in itself. The next step is to introduce the THC so it can maintain that same good cut at the correct height if and when the material warps. You don't need a THC if the material flat and not warping so get it cutting perfect without it. The best way to achieve this is to just cut 24" long straight lines until you have the speed and height perfect and producing good cuts.
Wendle
1 Star Elite Contributing Member
1 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Wendle »

I have cut a ton of 14 ga SS with a 45Amp speed 180

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”