Thc low voltage - Torch bouncing off material

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
Jpkustumz
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Thc low voltage - Torch bouncing off material

Post by Jpkustumz »

Ok so been having multiple issues with a used Plasmacam dhc2 table I picked up... running a Hypertherm 600 fine cut consumables.. i will loose torch signal all the time beginning of cuts middle of cuts and now doesn’t try to cut says no material... cutting 14ga steel my diagnostics page does a good led test and can fire the torch with no issues but my voltage is only reading 1.04 volts last week I was at 5.6ish when the torch is running its at 6-7 but won’t initiate a cut.. I have replaced parallel cable earlier because I had signal loss issues and put on a lot of ems blockers clip on style seemed to help noise interference but can only cut randomly and now won’t cut at all
Air pressure at 90-100
New inline air dryer
New consumables checked all wires and connections
At a loss any help
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Thc low voltage

Post by adbuch »

Welcome aboard Jpkustumz! You may have better luck with responses if you post your questions in the Plasmacam section. Please post a screen shot of your error message so we can see exactly what it says. It may also be helpful to post screenshots of your setting pages for Height Control and Machine Control. When you say you can fire the torch, is this using the test button on the keypad or by hand with the torch trigger (assuming you are using a hand torch)? Have you performed the torch control cable tests as described in the Video Manual Chapter 4? See the attached image for details.
required tests.jpg
Which software upgrades, if any, do you have? Advanced Height Control (both levels), Advanced Machine Control, and Advanced Design are the "Big Three".

David

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

By the way, I'm not sure that you will be able to see any images unless you become a Contributing Member. For $20/year it is well worth it. This will allow you to download files and share images, as well as many other benefits.
David
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Not at all familiar with Plasmacam however if it were me I would simplify things. Don't worry about voltage readings, voltage will change based on the length of the arc so what your describing there is not surprising. The only thing arc voltage is used for is the auto height control and to simplify things i would eliminate the auto height control or THC for now. You need to get yourself to a point where you can cut shapes successfully without the height control as it can cause all kinds of problems. Try turning the THC off and cut some simply shapes. Does it cut OK when doing that? If not then we need to dig deeper but take the THC out of the mix for now and post back.
Jpkustumz
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Jpkustumz »

Ok yea still can’t cut anything torch will fire off at home position using trigger controls from computer but when it goes to cut just bounces off the steel and says no material detected... I have done a couple dozen intricate cuts and now nothing
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

OK, so it sounds to me like your ohmic clip is not working properly and it is not sensing the material. Have you inspected the ohmic clip and it connection from the clip to the controller? There may also be a diagnostic window that will help you to see if the controller is getting a signal from the clip but maybe one of the Pcam guys here can confirm and elaborate on that one. This is for sure the first place to start.
Francisco
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Francisco »

Check resistance between the ohmic clip terminal and the central contact in the carriage's harness connector; should be 47 kOhm. If it's infinite instead of 47 kOhm, you have a broken resistor leg. The resistor is on the ohmic wire, between the connector to the clip and the servomotor cap, protected by a section of black shrink tube.
Jpkustumz
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Jpkustumz »

I unwrapped that resistor last night to check it was a thought I had too but still intact and not burnt but I’ll check the resistance on it as well
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

In the mean time, under Settings, Height Control you could change your Pierce Height Reference from Sense Material to Zero to one of the other two options to see if this makes a difference. After doing so,if your torch is still not firing under program control then you know you have a different problem than a bad resistor.

David
Pierce Height Reference.jpg

Francisco

Post by Francisco »

This may help:
47 kOhm.png

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Thanks for that diagram.
David
Jpkustumz
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Jpkustumz »

Ok thanks rebuilding a new computer for it tonight so I will check and try that in the morning my local Hypertherm guy thinks it has something to do with the ohmic relay so will give updates tomorrow thanks again
Jpkustumz
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Jpkustumz »

So tried changing settings control with no new results
When I’m on diagnostics page touching torch tip to material activates the yellow auxiliary display so seems to be sensing the material and will run through a cut without torch hot but still just bouncing off steel and error message saying “material surface not detected check wiring,power or turn off option
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Jpkustumz wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:14 pm So tried changing settings control with no new results
When I’m on diagnostics page touching torch tip to material activates the yellow auxiliary display so seems to be sensing the material and will run through a cut without torch hot but still just bouncing off steel and error message saying “material surface not detected check wiring,power or turn off option
Is there the possibility that you have your work lead cable (ground cable) coiled up under the table? Probably not, but this has been know to cause the "sewing machine effect" with the torch moving up and down (bouncing) like a sewing machine action.

Do you still get the error "material surface not detected" when you change your setting from "sense material to zero" to "stall on material to zero" or "from previous cut height"?

David
Jpkustumz
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Jpkustumz »

So here is the update after going through days of tests and recommended fixes from everyone here and there I believe to have finally got it working finished 2 1200 in cuts last night without a glitch...

My apparent problem seemed to be mechanical failure
The nut on the bottom of the corkscrew gear for the z axis had worked it’s way loose about a 1/4” from the gear causing the head not to travel it’s full inch to fire off the torch
Was very tricky to get tightened up correctly but seemed to do the trick...
on the plus side with rechecking everything twice my machine is cutting better then ever
Thanks to everyone with help and info
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Fantastic news. Thanks for posting back with your solution.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Jpkustumz wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:01 am So here is the update after going through days of tests and recommended fixes from everyone here and there I believe to have finally got it working finished 2 1200 in cuts last night without a glitch...

My apparent problem seemed to be mechanical failure
The nut on the bottom of the corkscrew gear for the z axis had worked it’s way loose about a 1/4” from the gear causing the head not to travel it’s full inch to fire off the torch
Was very tricky to get tightened up correctly but seemed to do the trick...
on the plus side with rechecking everything twice my machine is cutting better then ever
Thanks to everyone with help and info
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you're up and cutting again.
David

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”