Hypertherm 65 Post flow time

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
edclayton1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Hypertherm 65 Post flow time

Post by edclayton1 »

Hi,

Does anyone know how long the airflow should continue to run for after the trigger is released? I want to call it post flow. I searched in the operators manual but no luck. Mine seems to flow air for what seems like about 30 seconds, unless I give the trigger a second tap then it shuts right off. I tried replacing the trigger switch thinking maybe it was kind of wonkie but that didn't make any difference. Mayvbe3 its normal and I just don't use a hand torch enough to know the difference. I realize it needs a cooling time. But even after a very short cut it always runs for a long time.

Thanks
Ed
Home Built 4 * 8 table
Bladerunner
Miller Syncrowave 250 TIG welder
Miller 211 Wirefeed Welder
Bridgeport Mill
Jet 13 * 40 Lathe
Hypertherm Powermax 65
80 gal 2 stage 175 PSI Emax air Compressor
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hypertherm 65 Post flow time

Post by adbuch »

Ed - I own both the 45xp and 85 and have never timed it, but it seems like post flow time is about 10 seconds or so. It is possible that your solenoid valve is sticking and may need either service or replacement. Here is a post from Jim Colt from several years ago. He is talking about a different Hypertherm machine, but I think the idea is the same.
David

viewtopic.php?t=23750

"Re: Hypertherm Post flow

Post by jimcolt » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:11 am
The post flow time is fixed on the Powermax600, and the unit is designed to start at any time during post flow (it shuts of air momentarily to allow the blow back electrode to contact the nozzle, then reactivates air flow to "blow back" the electrode to fire the torch. It is possible that the air solenoid valve that controls air flow may be sticking in the flow position......which would cause misfiring and long post flow. There is no adjustment to postflow. Tech service at Hypertherm can help troubleshoot. technical.service@hypertherm.com or 1 800 643 9878 . Jim Colt Hypertherm"
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

If you do have a sticking solenoid valve, this could also be caused by excess moisture in your air supply - as well as the possibility of contaminants in the air line. I would recommend checking the built-in air filter in your plasma cutter, as well as any other filters or dryers you have in your air line. A refrigerated dryer is probably the best way to go to achieve really dry air to your plasma cutter.
David
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Mine flows longer when it finished a cut next to the edge of the table so It can blow water all over everything. :HaHa
edclayton1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by edclayton1 »

adbuch wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:54 pm If you do have a sticking solenoid valve, this could also be caused by excess moisture in your air supply - as well as the possibility of contaminants in the air line. I would recommend checking the built-in air filter in your plasma cutter, as well as any other filters or dryers you have in your air line. A refrigerated dryer is probably the best way to go to achieve really dry air to your plasma cutter.
David
David,
Thanks for the reply, I have moisture traps in the system and one right at the back as well as the little factory Hypertherm one but I will take a look at all that. I wish I had a refrigerated dryer system but Im not that far along. I have cheap harbor freight and then one of those M-30 motor guard filters just before the air goes into the Hypertherm. I changed its filter once a year ago and don't use this machine very much. Its sort of my secondary machine for hand cutting only these days. Time for more inspecting and troubleshooting I guess. I agree on my other machine on my tabler it seems to only run for 10 seconds or so , not approximately thirty like this one is doing.
Home Built 4 * 8 table
Bladerunner
Bridgeport Mill
Jet 13 * 40 Lathe
Hypertherm Powermax 65
edclayton1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by edclayton1 »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:55 pm Mine flows longer when it finished a cut next to the edge of the table so It can blow water all over everything. :HaHa
Must be nice to have a water table. Mine just makes a big mess in the whole shop without the water feature. I use 2 oscillating fans but they don't woprk very well. I will probably end up with COPD eventfully if I don't address this problem. :Wow
Home Built 4 * 8 table
Bladerunner
Bridgeport Mill
Jet 13 * 40 Lathe
Hypertherm Powermax 65
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

edclayton1 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:10 pm
SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:55 pm Mine flows longer when it finished a cut next to the edge of the table so It can blow water all over everything. :HaHa
Must be nice to have a water table. Mine just makes a big mess in the whole shop without the water feature. I use 2 oscillating fans but they don't woprk very well. I will probably end up with COPD eventfully if I don't address this problem. :Wow
I would recommend at least closing in the bottom of your table and using an exhaust fan to duct the smoke/fumes outside of your garage. You most definitely don't want to be breathing in a lot of plasma dust.
David
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

I went the water table route as it gets down to -40 here in the winter and I don't want to blow the heat outside. In the summers I use the swamp cooler as an exhaust fan as well.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

"You most definitely don't want to be breathing in a lot of plasma dust." Or into your electric tools or electronics, you may end up with "Magic Smoke too" :Sad
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Tom,

Just add to that chop saw / grinding dust and some good ol welding smoke and you have a great combo! :lol:

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”