Hypertherm circuit board help needed

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
jsland
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Hypertherm circuit board help needed

Post by jsland »

New to the board, a small plasma cutter owner and looking to expand to a table and larger unit soon. My current problem is with my Hypertherm Powermax 30. It was intermittently turning off after 30 seconds of use, would turn back on if you let it sit, but now will not turn on altogether. The AC power light does not come on at all. Disassembled unit and did some troubleshooting. Found that a small integrated circuit chip has burnt up. The chip is in the U4 position on the board but unfortunately the numbers are not legible on the chip after it fried. If someone has one of these boards laying around and could get me the numbers off the chip, I believe I can repair this board for a few dollars rather than $700 on a new board assembly. Picture is attached with red arrow pointing to location. There is a heat sink attached to the chip. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Attachments
800FDD89-609E-4B01-B114-9B5AE19C36AC.jpeg
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hypertherm circuit board help needed

Post by djreiswig »

Maybe this will help.
There is a schematic on the last page.
https://www.hypertherm.com/Download?fileId=HYP104643
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

the schematic does not list the chip ID as to any numbers. from your image is looks small like a 3 legged one. On the attached screen show of the schematic I put a square around 2 voltage regulators. they normally are 3 legged and many have heat sinks attached to them. Their output is most likely for logic voltages. This is a real shot in the dark without really closer look at the board and using meter to ID components near it to clear which it really is. Now another thing is it may been taken out by another component failure drawing high current through it, meaning replacement may just blow again. If in fact it is a regulator. There is a guy who repairs Plasma unit on the web, https://georgesplasmacuttershop.com/
regulators.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:40 pm Now another thing is it may been taken out by another component failure drawing high current through it, meaning replacement may just blow again. If in fact it is a regulator.
That would be my thought as well. I think your best bet would be to contact the online repair shop Tom referenced.
Good Luck!
David

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”