Plasma interface wiring for powermax 125

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
element87
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Plasma interface wiring for powermax 125

Post by element87 »

Hello all!

I am hoping someone can aid me with some confirmation on the correct wiring for my cnc table plasma interface to my powermax 125.I already received some help from the hypertherm technical support but as a beginner I still feel weary about doing this.

My boss bought a used "Precision cutting systems - Easy Loader cnc cutting table" and I pretty much have it hooked up except for the plasma interface to the powermax 125.

It looks like I need to connect the cpc port to the plasma, the ground to the table and the arc voltage wire to somewhere on the board of the plasma machine.

Can anyone verify that I am correct before I attempt this? Would hate to fry the 125 that belongs to my boss and ruining such an expensive machine.

Let me know if I've forgotten to add anything.
Attachments
Power Board Powermax 125 (1).pdf
(820.58 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
20210813_083827.jpg
20210813_083809.jpg
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Plasma interface wiring for powermax 125

Post by djreiswig »

If you want raw arc volts then you can follow the wires from the back of the torch connector and the work lead inside the unit to where they connect.
If you want divided volts then you can access that in the cpc as well as the torch fire pair.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

The plasma interface box you show is not something you should need. After seeing that I am guessing that the previous owner of your table had a higher powered or high definition plasma cutter on that table.

Does your Powermax 125 actually have the CPC port connection on the back of it?
CPC.PNG
CPC.PNG (89.5 KiB) Viewed 546 times
Does your tables torch height controller require raw arc voltage or divided arc voltage?

Important to know these things before going much further.
element87
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by element87 »

Hey thanks for your response.

My 125 does indeed have the cpc port and I also thought I needed the RS485 port so it's on there.

Let me show you what I'm working with, I had a technician come and give me some advice but ghosted me after the only time he came and got paid.

Right now the table wont work properly, if I start a cut it will start the process but it keeps bring the torch back up.

From what I was told by the hypertherm tech was that it should be hooked up to the j28 circuit that goes to where the torch is hooked up.

Let me know if any of this is sounding correct. Been trying to hire someone else in the area who can come do this with confidence as I have my boss breathing down my neck to get this going. So appreciate the help.
Attachments
20210816_082052.jpg
20210813_083809.jpg
20210816_081536.jpg
20210816_081624.jpg
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Ok first things first. Are you able to cut properly and confident in your cutting ability without the auto torch height control on?

I would get that hurdle competed before trying to sort out that old Hypertherm torch height controller.
element87
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by element87 »

weldguy wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:16 pm Ok first things first. Are you able to cut properly and confident in your cutting ability without the auto torch height control on?

I would get that hurdle competed before trying to sort out that old Hypertherm torch height controller.
Well I used to operate a smaller table that was no name and built by an individual just fine. It's my first time using a brand name one with this technology.

But yeah I cut a few parts and designs already. But on this new table I have not been able to get it to finish the cut as it keeps going up and plasma interface is not hooked up correctly.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

If your torch is constantly driving itself UP it is likely that your auto torch height control is turned ON and since there is no arc voltage (not hooked up properly) it is seeing a low voltage situation and drives the torch UP trying to increase the arc voltage. I think it is important to cut properly without the auto height control first and introduce it later when everything else is sorted out.

Are you able to turn the auto height control/THC system OFF?
element87
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by element87 »

weldguy wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:39 am If your torch is constantly driving itself UP it is likely that your auto torch height control is turned ON and since there is no arc voltage (not hooked up properly) it is seeing a low voltage situation and drives the torch UP trying to increase the arc voltage. I think it is important to cut properly without the auto height control first and introduce it later when everything else is sorted out.

Are you able to turn the auto height control/THC system OFF?
Thanks for your response.

I took the chance that the advice from the hypertherm tech service was correct for my application, and voila! It seems to be working, although not flawlessly since it is a second hand machine.

I will post what I did as reference for anyone looking for the same answer.

The arc voltage wire was connected to J28 terminal shown in the pdf attached, that is for the powerboard for the powermax 105 and 125.

I've successfully cut more than a few pieces now, not always stress free though but I assume it's what we get when buying used equipment.
Power Board Powermax 125.pdf
(820.58 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Glad you were able to get some help and have it up and running.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”