Powermax 30XP question

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
ironhorse
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Powermax 30XP question

Post by ironhorse »

Hi all, just wondering if anyone out there uses the hypertherm powermax 30 xp on their tables?
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powermax 30XP question

Post by adbuch »

To quote Robert Johnson,

"The only reason to use a 30XP is if you don't have 220. That shouldn't be an issue for a school and so the 30XP should not be used on the table. It is unreliable, has no mechanized consumables available, no cut charts of any value, and no machine torch available should you care to upgrade later.

The 45XP isn't much more money and would be a far superior choice. I teach the software and machine every year as an in-service class for Oklahoma Vo-Ag instructors. It would be fairly pointless to teach kids to use a machine that barely worked and expect those skills to be useful later in life. Kind of like teaching them GMAW only on a 115 volt, flux core welder from Harbor Freight."

"I'm glad you've had a good experience but I stand by my belief that teaching a group of children in a school environment how to fiddle with a machine that is not designed to cut with a CNC machine is not good experience for them if they are to take that learned skill out into the real world. Except where hobby people are trying to cut with just 110v service, the 30XP has no business being anywhere near a CNC table of any brand."

My takeaway is that while the 30xp is a little cheaper than the 45xp, the 45xp would be a much better choice for serious cnc plasma table work. I personally use both the 45xp and 85 on my Plasmacam tables with great success, and no regrets.
David
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

adbuch wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:34 pm "The only reason to use a 30XP is if you don't have 220. That shouldn't be an issue for a school and so the 30XP should not be used on the table. It is unreliable, has no mechanized consumables available, no cut charts of any value, and no machine torch available should you care to upgrade later.
For all its faults, Phill, the Linuxcnc developer who has created Plasmac, has one he was given as a retirement present. I think thats why Plasmac came into being in the first place. It also explains why Plasmac supports a synthesised ArcOK from the torch voltage.

But i tend to agree, the added cost for a 45XP to me is really what you need to go with if you are building a plasma table even though I have never owned one. I think anything cheaper sets you up for problems..
ironhorse

Post by ironhorse »

I have been running the older version of the Powermax 30 for 15 years now and the cuts have been amazing, but it has seen it's days and was just wondering if anyone else out there uses the 30 XP. My buddy has the 45 XP an says other than the fact that he has to run 2 air compressors, he is happy with it.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”