Powermax 1000 G3 with Durmax torch (not hand)

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Cabinman
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Powermax 1000 G3 with Durmax torch (not hand)

Post by Cabinman »

Hello all, I could really use some help. I rebuilt a larger commercial wood router 2 yrs ago but recently decided to make it dual purpose, so I built a 4.5" deep water table for it.

Since the electronic power system was old and defunct, I installed a leadshine mx4660, warp9, and use mach3. So from there I build a torch holder that attaches beside the router and thought I was close to the end of the race.

I installed my new Duramax torch, which was simple but now I'm stalled. When I bought the plasma, he had it connected to a table, not sure which one but as a result, there is a din plug that goes into the plasma unit. Two wires go to j15 and j16 and the other two used to splice into the trigger from what I gather. It was spliced on the purple wire as I recall on the plug that the new torch cable attaches to at the bottom of the machine. So I understand that the wires that go from j15 +j16 go to the THC module. I don't have a THC yet so I would LOVE some feedback from people who have used an external THC with Mach3. Also, in the meantime, is there a way to trigger my torch to start manually so I can start cutting without the THC until I get one? I don't have a wire for the 14pin plug that this machine also has but from what I understand, this unit does NOT have a divider so its running up to 300volts from that cable coming from j15+j16 atm. What actually triggers the torch to start? Clearly they spliced into the plug (purple wire) at the bottom before but I don't want to cut anything until I am sure of everything.

Sincerely appreciate any help anyone can give me🙂

Michael
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powermax 1000 G3 with Durmax torch (not hand)

Post by adbuch »

I have several Hypertherm machines with duramax hand torch which I use on my Plasmacam tables. The purple wire is the trigger wire, so I had to cut and splice to allow the Plasmacam controller to automatically trigger the torch for cnc cutting. If you don't have automatic torch height control, then you will not need to monitor the arc voltage (or divided arc voltage) and you can leave the high voltage wires alone. You will need to use some method to open and close the purple wire connection to fire your torch (on and off).
David

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”