Powermax 105 0-30-1 Error

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
PEBKAC2021
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Powermax 105 0-30-1 Error

Post by PEBKAC2021 »

Apologies if this has been covered. I've tried doing a forums search on here and elsewhere, and while I've found many helpful posts, I've not yet been able to fix an issue I'm encountering. I'm new to the shop I'm at, and any information I'm leaving out is because I don't know one way or the other, or can't get a definite answer out of my coworkers/boss (who as I understand, never touched the machine anyway). My experience is with programming/running other CNC machines (mills, lathes, shears, brakes, etc) But the particulars of plasma machines themselves? I've no previous experience aside from the past year or so at my current place.

We use a Hypertherm Powermax 105 (Mft'd Feb 2015) here on a Bulltear/Starlabs CNC table. We've run into an issue where the machine pops a 0-30 error code Every. Single. Time. we attempt to fire the torch. I know we have some counterfeit consumables floating around here, and I've changed out what was in the torch, just in case, to known good consumables. Same error is popping up. I don't see any pitting in the center part of the piece inside the torch itself.

I put the machine into test mode, and see 0-30-1 (torch stuck closed) as well as 2-01-0 (auxiliary switch disconnected). Well, I don't know what or where the auxiliary switch is, and the 0-30 is what shows on screen every attempted torch fire, so I figure I should attempt to tackle that. I put the machine in gas test, and see that it is getting much much lower psi than expected. On the screen I see it's expecting 70 psi, but is receiving anywhere from 40-60, and yes, that number is fluctuating while I have the gas test/valve open. I checked hoses, tried a different hose, checked the regulator, put a pressure gage at the machine and ran the gas test again. The gage read 110 psi while gas was flowing, which should be fine, as far as I understand.

The integrated filter element didn't seem new, but also seemed far from dirty. I do not know if or when it was ever changed. I tried blowing air from the machine's dedicated hose through a little dust gun and I know this isn't a scientific or exact way to measure, the air coming out did not seem 'wet'. As in, it didn't leave wet streaks on a piece of steel I shot air at. I know, I know, amazing methods here. There is a single bowl moisture/particle trap (the kind with the gold colored element) at the compressor before running to different lines. Aside from the moisture trap and the filter element at the machine, there is no other air cleaning.

As I run the gas test, I'm hearing a clicking. I'm wondering if it is the gas solenoid shutting itself on/off and giving the low and inconsistent pressure readings?

Apologies again if this has been covered. I'm hoping someone here might have some insight into what is going on with the machine, or some previous experience with the same. Or point out something that I've overlooked. My efforts have been on/off in the past day bouncing between getting this up and running and running other machines. (We 'fortunately' don't have much lined up for the cnc plasma so it's a 'good' time for it to go down)

Thank you for reading and thanks in advance for any advice and insight.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powermax 105 0-30-1 Error

Post by weldguy »

Before going too deep remove your consumables and put the electrode inside the swirl ring just as it would be if it was installed in the torch and be sure it slides up and down freely inside the swirl ring, it must move freely. Have you ever replaced the swirl ring?
PEBKAC2021
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by PEBKAC2021 »

I personally have not replaced the swirl ring, but there are 2 swirl rings that are left here that are pretty dirty and worn when compared to the one currently installed. I'm guessing they have been replaced in the past and these are kept here 'just in case'. Taking it out and giving it a try, the electrode fits well and slides no problem.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

OK, if the electrode moves freely in the swirl ring and you have a solid 110psi when air is flowing then it could be an internal problem and your best to give Hypertherm a call and see if they can determine the issue for you.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”