xp45 vs 1/2

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
azindianrider
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

xp45 vs 1/2

Post by azindianrider »

So I butchered some 1/2 plate trying to cut some 1 1/4 holes for column plates. I have a xp45. Cyrious Metal Works Plasma Table. Running right off the book settings. New consumables. It seemed to cut though about half way though the circle but the slag/dross build up was so bad the torch would run into it at the end and stop the machine. I tried longer pierce time, changed the voltage. anyone have the settings that will get me a better product or somewhere better to start? Thanks and I tried on another group- yes I get this is max on this machine and the results are less than optimal but it should work.
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: xp45 vs 1/2

Post by SeanP »

I know exactly what you mean, it's hard going, but it is possible, I'm cutting a lot of plates from 12mm, many many sheets! lot's of 18mm holes for base plates.
the biggest help I find is to spray the whole sheet if there is a lot of pierce points with something like WD40, guess if you not using water table water based anti spatter would work well, if it's just a few holes I might just use a quick dab of tip dip with a brush where the pierce is going, a qick dab on the nozzle as it's cutting helps to stop spatter sticking as well.

I've also tried wiggle pierce as well, but didn't get great results.

I might get 100 pierces before you can hear the pierce start to struggle, I find it's the nozzle that loses it's edge slightly, rather than put a new nozzle in, I have a 8mm dia bar in battery drill, sit on nozzle and run it onto some fine 400 grit just to flatten it, that gets me going for a good while again, can do that 2 or 3 times, I know it will be frowned on, but it works for me.

12mm.jpg
12mm.jpg (31.36 KiB) Viewed 300 times
This is exactly how not to do it!
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

Ramp pierce works good for me on thick material. Plunge rate same as travel speed and no pierce delay. 1/2" lead in on 1/2" thick.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Maybe try moving your pierce points onto a different layer and running those first then chip off the dross build up before running the cut layer
The cuts should start in the pre cut pierce points with no dross build up to run into??
Only a suggestion not that I have cut load's of thicker materials
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope
Blackslacks
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Blackslacks »

By coincidence I was cutting 1-1/4 inch holes in 1/2 plate on the same day as you, also with a 45xp and using book settings. I did use a cut rule to slow the travel down to 60%. I had no problem at all. Also check your air pressure.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”