Powermax 85 on CNC table not cutting all the way through

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Fulwijen
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Powermax 85 on CNC table not cutting all the way through

Post by Fulwijen »

I was having issues with code 30. Once we took in for service we were getting code 21. Since both "FIXED" now some days I can cut three things ok and then today it would not cut all the way through. Confused becuase seems to follow the computer program very well. Any thoughts how to fix this issue? We tried raising the cut height and lowering speed. Could we have bad consumables, motherboards, torchlead, or do you think it is computer system/table?
IMG_9631.jpg
IMG_9631.jpg (27.44 KiB) Viewed 462 times
IMG_9632.jpg
IMG_9632.jpg (26.29 KiB) Viewed 462 times
download/file.php?mode=view&id=67286
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powermax 85 on CNC table not cutting all the way through

Post by adbuch »

Fulwijen wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:39 pm I was having issues with code 30. Once we took in for service we were getting code 21. Since both "FIXED" now some days I can cut three things ok and then today it would not cut all the way through. Confused becuase seems to follow the computer program very well. Any thoughts how to fix this issue? We tried raising the cut height and lowering speed. Could we have bad consumables, motherboards, torchlead, or do you think it is computer system/table?
IMG_9631.jpgIMG_9632.jpghttps://www.plasmaspider.com/download/file.php? ... w&id=67286
Your photos are not large enough for me to tell what is really going on. Make sure you have 100 psi at the machine while it is cutting, use Hypertherm cut charts in manual for setting cut height, pierce height, cutting speed, pierce delay time, and kerf width. Also make sure you are using the correct OEM Hypertherm consumables for your job as described in the Hypertherm manual.
David
c_rossman
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by c_rossman »

Check your ground cable connection on the machine. I recently purchased a 85 and was getting poor results and my torch voltage was reading about 30v less than what it should have been.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

c_rossman wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:21 pm Check your ground cable connection on the machine. I recently purchased a 85 and was getting poor results and my torch voltage was reading about 30v less than what it should have been.
I believe you are referring to the Work Clamp (not ground clamp). But yes - it is important to have a good connection between the work clamp and material being cut.
David
c_rossman
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by c_rossman »

It was actually the connection at the machine, not the clamp. If you have a megger, its easy to check.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

c_rossman wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:44 am It was actually the connection at the machine, not the clamp. If you have a megger, its easy to check.
Yes, it would be important to check the connection between the work lead and the machine as well. And has been suggested, you could check your work lead (end-to-end) with an ohm meter for continuity. It is highly doubtful that the work lead itself is bad, but there could be a bad connection at either end - either between the work lead and clamp, or work lead and connector that plugs into the machine.
David
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Best to go back to basics. Draw a 24" straight line and get your table operating at the speed and height found in the Hypertherm cut charts for your material and selected nozzle. Keep the auto height control off initially until you are successful in cutting these straight lines at which point you can turn it on and continue to cut these lines until you find the arc voltage value that causes the torch to cut at the proper height. Your final arc voltage value will likely be close to what Hypertherm chart says but its always better to start off 10 volts higher and work your way down. If this does not go well post back your results. Of course be sure your work clamp is attached securely at both ends, they leads can turn loose at the machine on those units .

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”